1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 1,500 List for casual games

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by meganob1229, Jul 23, 2019.

1. meganob1229
    Skink

meganob1229 New Member

Hello all, I just finished painting a bunch of Seraphon models and I am pretty excited to try them out! Would this be a good list for games? I'm not necessarily looking to be competitive just enough to not be tabled.

List:

General:
    Slann Starmaster

Heroes:
    Skink Starpriest
    Engine of the Gods
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer

Battleline:
    Skinks x 10 (boltspitters and shields)
    Skinks x 10 (boltspitters and shields)
    Ripperdactyls x 6
    Razordons x 3

Battalions:
    Shadowstrike Starhost

1460/1500

Unfortunately I can't find a balewind vortex without ordering online, but will get some asap.

As for summoning I have:
    20x skinks (boltspitters and shields)
    10x warriors with spears
    5x knights with lances
    Skink priest
    Troglodon
    Oldblood on carnosaur
    Oldblood on foot
    Troglodon
    1x Salamander
    1x Bastiladon with Solar Engine

I still have a box of Temple Guard and warriors to finish but figured that It wouldn't be a necessity since I've read that saurus units are lagging right now. Would also like some help on how to use this army. Coming from Ironjawz, seraphon are a little squishier and hits not quite as hard from what I'm used to. I still can't utilize the mobility that they're known for.

LizardWizard and Aginor like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think that list will work just fine.
    Just remember to summon enough Skinks as chaff. Avoid melee.

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. meganob1229
    Skink

meganob1229 New Member

Do I overload objectives while I kill with my rippers? That is what I am getting from the list as the other units don't seem to have enough stopping power.

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I am not sure what you mean with overloading an objective.

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Your list looks great. Gratz on painting so many models!

Skinks are definitely your best bet for objectives. Rippers and Razordons are quite killy, at the very least they are the most killy units available to us. Don't let their damage distract you from their true potential though.

In the early turns of the game you can use LoSaT and your Shadowstrike deepstrike to target key enemy units. Not just for the purposes of eliminating the target, but also to tie up large portions of the enemy army. If you can engage forward ranks then you can roadblock most of the enemy army provided they don't have fly.

6. meganob1229
    Skink

meganob1229 New Member

Sorry, I meant putting a lot of bodies on objectives so that the opponent has to deal with it.

Thanks! Painting Seraphon is fun!

Thanks for the tips! Seems like positioning is uber important for Seraphon. Would you guys recommend that I build upon a Sunclaw Starhost or a Eternal Starhost? I see a lot of Batreps including the Eternity Warden and he seems good when he has his Guard with him.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

It all depends on what your goals for the game are. If you want to play in large tournaments than you aren't too likely to find much success with Sunclaw or Eternal Starhost. Shadowstrike, Thunderquake, and Dracothion's Tail (board control version) are the top tournament list within our army. If you are just looking to have fun with Saurus then both of those list have tools available to them that allows for flexible tactical play. All be it less optimal.

8. meganob1229
    Skink

meganob1229 New Member

Ooohh okay I do hope they update the warscrolls for the saurus in the future. The models and lore are really awesome. For the mean time I will look in the Thunderquake and get some more knights for the other battalion. Thanks for the input!

LizardWizard likes this.
  9. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

in a casual game (which is what you seem to be looking for) overloading yoru objectives can be quite effective, might I suggest however if you use skinks don't put them all on the objective its self. trail out a line of skinks from the objective to about 7 inches away from the objective (between the objective and the enemy you expect to move on it) and fan out to block them. then when you are charged by the enemy you can wary fighter away the three inches each time and it will buy you 2 turns of objective control... because lets be honest if the skinks stay and fight they are screwed.

10. meganob1229
    Skink

meganob1229 New Member

I did not know this! Will definitely be doing this. Got a few games in over the weekend and Seraphon are pretty hard to utilize effectively. Pretty unforgiving but am having fun learning the in's and outs! Thanks for the tip, mate!

ILKAIN likes this.
  11. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Seraphon are a skill intensive army. it may be a bit snobbish to say, but anyone can pick up most armies and have a really good chance at winning. Seraphon requires a smarter player. we do not win the head to head melee brawl with much of anything... we win the objective control. we are the most flexible army with the most answers (thank you new lore spell list) to most situations. even the slann's change from longer range on spells to lore spell changing in the GHB19 is evidence of how we play. but the downside is the more answers you have available, the more ways you can pick the wrong one. here comes the snobbish part.... Seraphon require a better player to win consistently. at least at the competitive level. at the casual level, LOSAT alone can be enough of a frustration for the opponent to keep them off their gameplan and allow us to win.

12. meganob1229
    Skink

meganob1229 New Member

I've been getting a few games here and there (and winning some as well!) and I do get what you mean. I'm still pretty bad at using them but I see myself getting better judging from the few games I've played. I've seen the havoc that skinks can bring and I have to say that the Seraphon are pretty fun to use once you get some of the rudimentary ideas down. Still have a lot of ways to go but they're super fun and hoping to learn along the way.

ILKAIN likes this.