1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. [1000 points]

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by geoQuant, Apr 4, 2013.

1. geoQuant
    Skink

geoQuant New Member

i have never played a small game before and appreciate the help. my opponents might include: orcs, ogres or skaven

[hero = 156]
    Scar Vet - light armor, cold one, itzl amulet, great weapon and venom

[core = 465]
    22 skinks + SB and music, 2 kroxigor
    13 saurus, hw, music and SB // scar vet goes here
    10 skirmishers

[special = 295]
    5 chameleons
    1 stegadon

[rare = 80]
    1 salamander + extra handler

Total: 996

[combat and shooting]
    i was thinking of using the skrox as an anvil since they are not stompable, and flanking with a stegadon (hopefully) or saurus unit with the scar vet.

any thoughts on swapping the salamander out for a skink priest? my only preference is to keep the stegadon in the list!

2. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

skrox are nice, but they give lots of combat resolution to the enemy, and with leadership 7 you will have a fleeing anvil: not so useful, do you agree? I'd use more saurus warriors at least in 2 units of 15 (3 ranks), better in units of 20 (4 ranks)
    the sally would be nice against skaven and goblins, but almost useless against ogres, unless your opponent uses lots of gnoblars
    i'd drop the scar vet for a skink priest: scar vets are fantastic in low points games, but a skaven player can play a lv 4 sorcerer in a 1000 points game, and i'd prefer have better chances to dispell something, but this is personal. You also could have both of them, but with 2 heroes and a stegadon your army will be quite small
    i usually play stegadons only at 1500+ games and prefer more saurus warriors, but this is personal too

3. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Unless I'm up agains Dwarves, I feel a magic weilder of some sort is mandatory. I would recommend a skink priest. I would also recommend more salamanders. They will should be quite effective against Skaven and OnG. Perhaps not so much against Ogres, but still useful.

You'll have a difficult time with the stegadon if the rats take a warp lightnening cannon or if the OnG take doom divers. I'm not sure how well the OK can fit in their cannon, but I think they would be hard pressed at 1000 points.

I'm not sure how successful you be using skrox as an anvil agianst hordes of slaves or goblins. The sheer volume of attacks will likely do bad things to the skrox's ability to stick around in combat.

4. geoQuant
    Skink

geoQuant New Member

ah you both confirm what i was afraid of! i need a skink priest.

with both characters and a stegadon my army IS small:

[hero = 236]
    Scar Vet - light armor, cold one, itzl amulet, great weapon and venom
    skink priest - plaque of tepok

[core = 377]
    22 saurus, hw, music and SB // scar vet goes here, 6 wide by 4 deep
    15 skirmishers

[special = 307]
    6 chameleons
    1 stegadon

[rare = 80]
    1 salamander + extra handler

Total: 1000

5. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

there's no reason to make a unit made by more than 10 skirmishers
    i think it's better to fill your core only with saurus warriors if you want to take chameleons
    also, the venom of the firefly frog is a nice choice for 10 points, but if there aren't ethereal enemy units you don't need magic attacks, and with strenght 7 you will also wound almost everything on a 2+, so venom is not so useful. My advice is: scar vet, light armour, charmed shield, dragonhelm so you can give lv 2 to the priest and a dispell scroll
    if you do that you can have 2 units made by 20 saurus warriors both with standard bearer, your stegadon and 5 chameleons for a total of 989 points, so you can still: give some cheap equipment to your hero, take one more saurus warrior (lol), take another chameleon skink. if you use this scar vet you have "only" strenght 5, so venom af the firefly frog would make more sense now, or you could get a biting blade, or an ironcurse icon to help a little a unit to survive, or something else
    if i were in you, however, i didn't play the stegadon to have more troops