1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 1000 pt list vs. WoC

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by doittoit, Jul 17, 2015.

1. doittoit
    Skink

doittoit New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for help with my 1000 point list for an upcoming game against my brother's WoC. In our first game (800 pts) he completely obliterated me; all I had left at the end of turn 6 was 2 Cold One Riders!

I'm trying out some new stuff here to continue and figure out what units I like in the book, but at the same time I'd like to have a fighting chance. I'm sure he'll be using a Sorcerer and 1-2 units of Chaos Warriors. Beyond that, it could be anything. Here's the list I'm working on:

Skink Priest w/ Level 2, Lore of Beasts (General)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran w/ BSB, Light Armor, Enchanted Shield, Gold Sigil Sword, Seed of Rebirth

20x Saurus Warriors w/ Full Command, Spears

14x Temple Guard w/ Full Command (Scar-Vet goes with them)
    Bastiladon w/ Solar Engine

Salamander

Total: 932 points
    So I've got some points left over to mess with, or more if I drop anything or change anything. Any help is appreciated!

2. laribold
    Cold One

laribold Active Member

What kind of things did you struggle with in your last game against them?

Your unit sizes look a little bit too small to take the damage from the high In Chaos Warriors and still have the power to strike back over the course of a couple of rounds of combat. Also, having tried them out I'm beginning to think spears aren't as good as HW&Shield. The extra 5 attacks don't massively add loads and with such a small unit, you'll lost them pretty quickly anyway.

Your Scar Vet load out isn't all that great . Lots of people will say to go with a 4+ ward and a GW, however you might want to consider this build that I often use on a foot ScarVet to boost my Saurus Warriors block.
    Light Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying, Potion of Strength.
    2+ armour save, 4 WS5 ASF S5 hits per turn means you can start to whittle down your opponent before he lays into your slow Saurus/Temple Guard. Then when/should you need it, pop the Potion of Strength for a round of S8 attacks.

Going toe to toe with Warriors at a low points level is hard going for Lizardmen. Their infantry is just generally better than ours...

3. doittoit
    Skink

doittoit New Member

In the last game I had a Skink Priest with some javelin Skirmishers, 2 units of HW&Shield Saurus Warriors, some Cold Ones, and a Salamander. He had a Sorcerer, 3 units of Chaos Warriors, and 3 units of Warhounds. Though, he did say he felt like it was Chaos Warrior overkill so I don't think he'll take so many next time. He tends to field small units of Warriors since they're so expensive. I simply couldn't kill the Chaos Warriors, my Salamander was the only thing that did well. In turn 1, he cast Fireball on the Skirmishers and they took enough casualties to fail a Panic Test and fled off the board, taking my attached Skink Priest with them! So that hurt pretty bad.

In this list I opted for spears simply because I wanted to try them out. I didn't make a single parry save in the previous game. Question: why is the ASF magic weapon better than the I10 one? I won't get the re-rolls to hit because my initiative is so bad, so wouldn't it be the exact same, only 10 pts more expensive? Also, at this low point value, if I make the Saurus bigger (and especially the Temple Guard), I won't have many points left for other stuff, will I? If there's one thing I learned in the last game, Saurus' low WS and I really hurts bad in combat with Chaos Warriors. Thanks for the comments, and I'll continue to work on this list!