1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 1000 Pts: Seraphon vs Flesh-Eater-Courts

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Trepus, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Trepus
    Jungle Swarm

Trepus New Member

Hello everyone!

Last Saturday I played a 1000 Points game against the Flesh-Eater-Courts. It will be a quite short report as we played just one turn. I think I have a long way untill I will win my first game in AoS.

First of all the lists:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Leaders
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    - General
    - War Spear
    - Trait: Master of Defense
    - Artefact: Quicksilver Potion

Skink Starpriest
    - Artefact: Phoenix Stone
    Battleline
    20 x Skinks
    - Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
    20 x Skinks
    - Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
    Units
    1 x Salamanders
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders ​
    Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost ​

Allegiance: Flesh-Eater-Courts
    Leaders
    Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist
    - General
    - Trait: Ruler of the Night
    - Artefact: Tomb Blade
    Varghulf Courtier
    Battleline
    20 x Crypt Ghouls
    10 x Crypt Ghouls
    3 x Crypt Horrors
    - Flesh Eater Courts Battleline (Crypt Haunter Courtier General)

We played "Three Places of Power" with araund 6 ruins on the field. I started deployment and had the first turn.

Set-Up: Seraphon
    I deployed my first unit of Skinks in a ruin in the center of my territory, surrounding my Starpriest. The Salamander was guarding the Starpriest. The second unit Skinks was set up on my left flank in another ruin and the Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur was in the open on my right flank. The Rippers were hiding in the clouds.
    Set-Up: Flesh-Eater-Courts
    He set his Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist in the center of his territory behind a walking wall of 20 Crypt Ghouls. On his right flank he deployed the other Crypt Ghouls in front of the Varghulf Courtier. His left flank was guarded by the Crypt Horrors. Everythink was quite close to the Ghoul King so mostly everything was in Range for his 10" ability to ignore wounds on a 5+.

1. Turn: Seraphon
    Before my first turn I moved the Skinks a little bit towards the enemy. The left Skinks moved towards the small unit of Crypt Ghouls and the Skinks in the center towards the big unit.
    In my herophase I placed the Toad in range of the big unit Crypt Ghouls and of the Ghoul King.The Scar-Veteran used his Ability on himself and the Starpriest waved with his Staff at the Scar-Veteran and used the reroll ability of the battalion on the small unit of Cyrpt Ghouls. Then he failed to unbind a Mystic Shield on the Scar-Veteran. The movement phase began with the arrival of the Ripperdactyl Riders, who set up in a way that they were able to attack the Ghoulking and/or the big unit of Crypt Ghouls. With my Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur I moved directly towards the Place of Power on the right flank. The rest didn´t need to move as I could reach my targets due to the movement before turn 1. The Ripperdactyl Riders declared a swooping attack. The Shooting phase resulted in two casualties in the small unit of Crypt Ghouls. I didn´t shoot with both units of Skinks the same target, which was absolutely a mistake, but the Unit that shot on the big unit of Crypt Ghouls didn´t roll a single "1" so it didn´t really matter in the end.
    In the assault phase I couldn´t resist and charged the Ghoulking. The face of my opponent was priceless as I rolled a bucket of dice, but the result was that he lost 5 wounds and in return he killed all three Rippers and thanks to the tombblade he healed 2 wounds.
    I scored 1 victorypoint.
    1. Turn: Flesh-Eater-Courts
    He started his herophase with resurrecting the two fallen Crypt Ghouls and another wound on his General. He moved straight towards my lines ready to assault me. His Crypt Ghouls looked very mean at my little Skinks and the "small" Crypt Horrors moved towards my Scar-Veteran. His shooting phase was very short and nothing happend. Then he managed to assault with the big Ghoul unit my Skinks araound the Starpriest in the center and the Scar-Veteran with his Crypt Horrors. The third assault failed. I thought it would be really clever not to use the Quicksilver Potion and then activate the Skinks to retreat. I assumed the damage the Crypt Horrors could do couldn´t be so bad...So he activated these f*****g Horrors first and killed the Scar-Veteran. Then I retreated with my Skinks and after a small break to breathe I surrendered.

I´m very sorry that I wasn´t able to post an interesting report this time, but I couldn´t see how I should kill this Ghoulking and his respawning hordes of Ghouls with 40 Skinks and a Starpriest.

So any thoughts how I could respond to this army? It really hurts my brain when I try to come up with a solution for these undead guys. But in general I like this army concept and I´ll definitvely give it a try against the Slaves of Darkness from the game before.

Cheers,
    Trepus

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Might have had a bit better success dropping 10 skinks and the salamander for 3 more rippers. Tough call.

Trepus and Aginor like this.
  3. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Yeah. Fielding units of 20 skinks feels ineffective to me. I woulda dropped two units of skinks so you ran 10 and 10 and grabbed 2 more salamanders. With buffs, if they hit, they have the capability to do a lot of damage to that terrorgeist.

Utilizing another unit of rippers could have been good as well. Playing vs undead is all about sniping out their heroes and then diminishing the bonuses on the hordes.

Trepus and Bowser like this.
  4. Trepus
    Jungle Swarm

Trepus New Member

Thanks for the ideas.

At first I thought "Hey go to the store and buy more Rippers!" But it comes in handy that there are waiting 4 Salamanders on my shelf. So I´ll give this army a try:

Leaders
    Skink Starpriest
    - Artefact: Phoenix Stone
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    - General
    - War Spear
    - Trait: Master of Defense
    - Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
    Battleline
    10 x Skinks (80)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (80)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    Units
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)
    3 x Salamanders (180)
    3 x Skink Handlers (40)​
    Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (120)​

Total: 1000/1000

I´ll write a short report about my next game. Hopefully not again with such a horrible loss :-D

Cheers,
    Trepus

Soul Zenmuron, m0gstar and Bowser like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Just by reading this list, I knew the final result.
    FEC are strong and resilient, no doubt about it, and this is one of the typical strong list I'm seeing lately (with some variations about the nomber of horrors).
    Your only advantage was the "low vulnerability" to terrorgheist's shriek...