1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 1250 Shadowstrike

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by IggyStarhost, Apr 1, 2019.

?

Which list supplement would you recommend?

1. Chameleon Skinks

2. Slann

3. Scarvet on Carnosaur

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

For a 1250 varanguard tournament. What would you add to the following 1k list.

Allegiance: Seraphon

Leaders
    Skink Starpriest (80)

Battleline
    40 x Skinks (240)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    4 x Razordons (160)
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
    Total: 1000 / 1250

1) 10 chameleon skinks

2) drop a razordon for a slann and pallisades or swords

3) 1 Scarvet on Carnosaur

Chameleon skinks can help clear screens for the rippers and tie up retaliation units. But you waste an artifact

Slann for great rememberer and some skinks each turn. Although could also just add skinks instead.

Carno could pose a threat and might hold a hero objective

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

This is how I run Shadowstrike Starhost at 1250:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS:
    Slann Starmaster
    (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Great Rememberer
    - Artefact : Miasmatic Blade

Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Artefact : Spellmirror

UNITS
    :

6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    4 x Razordons (160)
    4 x Razordons (160)

BATTALIONS:
    Shadowstrike Starhost
    (180)

TOTAL: 1240/1250
    EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1
    WOUNDS: 73

If you don't have access to 4 more Razordons then I would bring Chameleon Skinks.

At only 4 drops you have a decent shot of dictating first turn. On your turn one LoSaT both units of Razordons into range, drop the Rippers, and proceed to Alpha-Strike most the enemy army off the table. Then spend the rest of game racking up CCP and replenishing units around the objectives.

One key thing to keep in mind is the opponent's Battle Shock. If you take first turn at 1250 then you want to spread the damage from your Rippers and both units of Razordons. This will cause crushing moral test that will likely increase the casualties you inflict by a third or more.

IggyStarhost likes this.
  3. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Thanks! Unfortunatly I dont have another 4 razordons. Do you mean 5 chameleon skinks instead of the 4 razordons? Or 10 chameleons instead of the slann?

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

5 Chameleon Skinks. They won't do nearly as much damage as the Razordons, but they should be able to tie up a few units in combat for a turn or two depending on their use and enemy positions.

You would have even enough points to bring a Balewind Vortex if you wanted.

IggyStarhost likes this.
  5. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Good point, never thought about dropping the 30 skinks. Havent had much experience with skinks more that 10. Can they pack a punch? Or are they just horrible to get into position?

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Units of 40 Skinks in Shadowstrike are actually pretty strong. They will deal a surprising amount of damage. 10 man units might deal 1 or 2 damage a turn against low save units. Mostly they are useful for objective holding and blocking pathways of movement.

The reason I prefer Razordons over Skinks though is that it allows for threats to be spread out across the field. The -1 rend also makes them particularly good at dealing with Skeleton Warrior hordes. Razodons are also quit capable of blocking pathing and they provide a huge disincentive to charges.

My goal when playing 1k or 1250 Shadowstrike is to remove the opponent's greatest threats turn one and then tie up their remaining forces for a turn or two while they deal with my alpha-strike units. This is why I liked the Chameleon Skinks over expanding your Skink unit.

7. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Thanks! I think I’ll play test with some chameleon skinks + balewind. Depending on the realm, I might also try an Astrolith. For some ranged mortal wounds with the slann. Although I think a slann cant taken out a hero in 1 turn. I’d probably might pump out 3d3. Which often enough isnt 5. Maybe combined with some razordon shots. I’m always looking to kill the hero within 6”, if they dont have the general within 12”. Battleshock really doubles up sometimes if you plan it right.
    But I think the chameleon skinks fit my playstyle better. Use some tacticle pile-ins to lock in my opponent from shooting or piling intontje rippers. Do you often lose you rippers in a retaliation move?

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Yep, sometimes I choose to go second solely to allow my Rippers to act as a counter attack. Against Idoneth, SCE, and Nighthaunt this is pretty much the only way you will get use out of them. Particularly against Eels. You need them to discharge their electric blast before your Rippers can fight them.

IggyStarhost likes this.