1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 1500 vs Skaven (New dice!)

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by The Hunted, Jan 20, 2014.

1. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Hello everybody!

After a long drought of Warhammer, due to a variety of reasons, I've picked it up again.
    The fact that I have received my awesome new dice also helped :)

I played versus my regular opponent, and his filthy ratmen. Casual game on friday night; battleline.

My list (roughly)

Skink priest - LVL 2 - Dispell scroll - General (Iceshard Lizard and Comet of Doom)
    Scar-Veteran - Cold One - Armour of fortune - Luckstone - BSB

25 Saurus warriors - FC
    25 Saurus warriors - FC - Spears
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skink skirmishers
    10 skink cohort
    10 skink cohort

6 chameleons
    6 Saurus cold one riders - Mu

1 Salamander w/extra snack (My real Salamander was hanging out in the paint booth, so it's proxied by a cannon)

Which were facing (approximately):

1 warlord, War litter, Sword of Might, stuff?
    1 chieftain, BSB, stuff
    1 plaguepriest LVL 2, stuff(Pestilent breath, blessed with filth)
    1 warlock engineer, Dooooom Rocket
    1 warlock engineer, Some minor doom rocket?

40 Clanrats FC, Warpfire Thrower
    30 Clanrats FC, plaguewind mortar
    40 Slaves
    45 Slaves
    5 Giant rats w/packmater ("Rat pack")

3 Jezzails

Warp-lightning cannon
    Warp-lightning cannon
    Plagueclaw Catapult

I took my fairly standard 1500 points. I sacrificed 1 scar-vet for more skinks and some more bodies to my saurus units.
    My opponent had a shooty list full of nasty template weapons. Also, he is able to shoot into combat with his slaves...so even combat isn't safe anymore!

I've only got 1 picture after Skaven turn 1; but I guess it still helps figuring out deployment and general moves.

351i8u0.jpg

The terrain consisted of a Lake, a Hill, a forest and a piece of impassable terrain.

From left to right for Skaven:
    Slaves, rat pack, CL bunker with General and BSB, CL with Plaguepriest, Slaves. His back line consisted of 2 WLC and the plagueclaw catapult.

My side from left to right:
    skink cohort (out of picture), Skirmishers screening Spear Saurus, Salamander, SCOR with BSB, skirmishers with priest, Saurus Warriors, and off to the right are more skink cohort out of picture.
    My chameleons scouted ahead off to the right.

Battleplan:

Have fun! I was having a great day and just got my dice, so I didn't really care what would happen :D
    But: chameleon skinks and the right cohort unit will make a dash for the war machines. Salamander will rush behind the hill (central book) and make way for the SCOR.
    The rightmost Saurus will be right behind the SCOR for fast supporting charges. This way, nobody will stand in eachothers way.
    Left side: cohort will dance with slaves, skirmishers will redirect and annoy, saurus will head in and shred Skaven.

Okay, after we rolled of for spells and the first turn we were ready to go!

Skaven turn 1:
    Warlock-suicide-engineers move up to throw their deadly items. Slaves move up some, Clanrats move up some. No major movement.
    Magic: Uneventful.
    Shooting: (the phase I was scared of). WLC takes aim and my spear saurus, but because they were deployed so wide he only manages to snag 3. Their formation protected them from template attacks. Some random skinks get fried in the process as well.
    The warlock engineers threw their items...which mostly scattered, only doing 2-3 wounds to my saurus on the right. That could have gone worse!
    Plagueclaw scatters and the other WLC fails to do anything of note.
    Combat: not yet!

Lizardmen turn 1:
    His engineers are now redirecting my units, but are posing a problem. My movement plan: Salamander moves out of the way of the SCOR by marching behind the hill (that's the central book). SCOR blitz up the field and both saurus units march up.
    Chameleons move up past one of the engineers and the cohort units move up.
    Magic: 9 vs 5 (ish), I 6 dice comet and manage to cast it! I put the marker near his bunker and WLC, smack in the middle of most of his stuff.
    Shooting: My chameleons and cohort take careful aim and wreck the right warlock engineer. No further shooting.
    Combat: not yet!

Skaven turn 2:

Fearing the giant rock appearing on the horizon, the skaven line moves forward. Leftmost slaves move up, as does the bunker getting out of the way of the comet. Rightmost clanrats (with the warpfire thrower attached) move up near the choke point and the remaining engineer. Rightmost slaves move to threaten the chameleons.

His engineer is still blocking my SCOR from charging his clanrats. I cannot wheel past.

Magic: Uneventful. The comet is still looming over the sky...

Shooting: Oh boy..more template attacks heading my way!
    WLC, only snag 2 Saurus warriors. Still not rolling well. Plaguewind scatters wide.
    Crucially though; the warpfire thrower kills a Cold one Rider (no panic), this is important because now I CAN wheel past his engineer to charge his clanrats. To add injury to insult; his plagueclaw catapult misfires, and the shot is suspicously off-target...I am allowed to scatter it back to which direction I want it; and the shot hits the clanrats killing 6!

Combat: nope.

Lizardmen turn 2:
    Charge! The SCOR head straight into the clanrats. Not every model gets into combat, but my BSB and 2 other models do.
    HW/S saurus charge the 'redirecting' warlock engineer.

Salamander moves on top of the hill to shoot at his bunker.
    Left flank: skinks hussle around a bit, Saurus still move up towards his bunker.
    Right flank: chameleons pass their march test and blitz past the slaves to shoot at the Plagueclaw catapult. Skink cohort backs off (10 skinks vs 45 slaves...)

Magic: Uneventfull. I was low on dice and tried Iceshard lizard. It failed. The comet is taking the long route...

Shooting: Hilariously effective. Saurus kills 5 clanrats from his bunker, he doesn't panic though. Leftmost skinks kill some giant rats, still no panic. Then, my all-stars (chameleons) took aim...and killed the plagueclaw catapult in 1 try!
    My new and shiny dice were working!

Combat: I kill off a rank of clanrats, winning combat but they hold. My Saurus tear up the warlock engineer and reform facing the combat between the SCOR and clanrats. They still have room to charge in next turn..

Skaven turn 3:

No charges. His bunker moves towards my spear saurus and away from the comet. Left most slaves move up aggressively towards my cohort and flank of my spears.
    Rightmost slaves reform towards the SCOR-CL combat but he's going to be a turn late.

Magic: He tries giving his guys poisoned attacks, which I dispell. Then goes for a 6-dice pestilent breath hoping for a fatal miscast to damage my SCOR. He doesn't get double 6, so I scroll it. Comet is now visible, and it is HUGE

Shooting: Warpfire thrower kills a skink handler on my salamander, but nobody cares. WLC kill some spear saurus, but this unit has enough numbers to take on the bunker heading their way.

Combat: I trash another rank of clanrats with my SCOR, he cannot wound me. I win again, but he holds (though barely)

Lizardmen turn 3:

Charge! My HW/S saurus charge into the SCOR combat. I now have more ranks in this combat than him, so I'm going to kill him here.

Further movement: My leftmost skink cohort passes its march test and move past the threatening slaves. My left skirmishers force a charge from the bunker which can then only pursie/overrun towards my spear saurus. The spear saurus reform into ranks to take on said bunker.
    Chameleons move towards the old position of the Plagueclaw catapult, now taking aim at the jezzails.

Magic: 6-diced another comet which I got with IF, placing it right between his WLC's. The other comet, which is getting bigger by the second, still has not landed..

Shooting:
    Skirmishers pick off some rats. Salamander does so too. Then my all-stars take aim...and kill the 3 jezzails in 1 go as well! My opponent was both amazed and astounded...as was I!

Combat: As predicted, I trash his Clanrats and...fail to catch them. It doesn't matter though, as my SCOR overrun into his warpfire thrower ready to charge the Clanrats again if they rally. THe saurus warriors pursue into his slaves..which is a one-sided match all day long.

Skaven turn 4:

Charges his bunker into the skirmishers, kill and overrun into the spear saurus.
    Magic: you guessed it! Both comets fail to land...
    Shooting: neglegable.
    Combat: we didn't even bother with this. It was late and the result was quite clear at this point. I was going to massacre all rats on the battlefield.

We rolled for fun on the comet, and the first one would come down on skaven turn 6. Probably leaving a big hole..
    The second comet was smaller, but it still would destroy his WLC's.

Result: Massacre!

Post-match thoughts:
    My dice were amazing! My opponent is known for having good dice-rolling skills (in pretty much all sorts of games), but this time the tables were completely turned on him. His shooting didn't have enough impact to damage my combat units, so they were still combat effective and just throwing ratmen to the deadpile left, right and center.

The skaven were also quite afraid of the comet, which is...partially correct. I didn't think he'd move his bunker unit so far away. He had enough models to take a solid hit (that was before we knew it would be ridiculously big).
    Neither slave unit really did much, which was partially because my SCOR forced the issue on turn 2 already, but partially due to bad target choices.
    My chameleons were all snipers, my entire army had Ld10 (it seemed) and I just went to town with my shiny dice.

Naturally, my wonderfull day became even better :D

As far as my list goes; I love my army 'core'. I always use this setup before looking to buy something else;

25 Saurus warriors - FC - spears
    25 Saurus warriors - FC
    10 skirmishers
    10 skirmishers
    10 skink cohort
    6 chameleons
    1 Salamander

It has everything I need. Redirecting, shooting, war machine hunting, bunker for a priest, solid combat bricks.
    Whatever I add, it just seems to work fine. More combat power in the form of scar-vets means I have to push aggressively. But with more magic support I can take my time a bit more.

I am still doubting between the SCOR and a Bastiladon. I like the speed and combat prowess of the SCOR, but I also like the all-round support that the 'Don gives you.

Anyways, thank you for reading and hopefully I will see you next time!

The Hunted