1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 1st 2000pt AoS Tournament coming up. Please critique my list.

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Jason839, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Hello all. I have my first Age of Sigmar tournament(2000pts) coming up this weekend, and I am making lists. I like the synergies the bloodclaw starhost brings, allowing all your heroes to use their abilities. The issue I am having is that in order to get everything I want to play with, my units are very small. I don't have a lot of experience playing AOS yet, so I wanted to ask you. Do you think this list is viable or do I need to rework it?

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
    - General
    - Legendary Fighter
    - Artefact: Relic Blade

Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    - Warblade
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One
    Saurus Sunblood

Battleline

5 x Saurus Knights
    - Lances
    - Seraphon Battleline

5 x Saurus Knights
    - Lances
    - Seraphon Battleline

10 x Saurus Warriors
    - Spears
    10 x Saurus Warriors
    - Spears

Units
    5 x Chameleon Skinks
    5 x Chameleon Skinks
    1 x Salamanders
    1 x Salamanders

Behemoths
    Bastiladon

Battalions
    Bloodclaw Starhost

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I would probably drop the warriors for some handlers and a starseer. I get that this gives you another deployment, but it also gives you access to some magic and some rerolls. The saurus warriors are good for holding an objective and they gain the benefits of the bloodclaw, but your salamanders are less effective. Or handlers, a third salamander and a jade battlemage to heal the carnos.

Jason839 likes this.
  3. Jason839
    Salamander

Thanks for the reply. I need to keep a unit of warrior so that I meet battleline requirements. With the 100 pts left over would you recommend the Normal priest or the star priest for a list like this?

Bowser likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Starpriest.
    basic priest wold be nice if you plan to have your troops near each other to maximize the rite for re-roll saves, but I doubt it will happen with your list, so the starpriest spells will be more useful to you

m0gstar, Jason839 and Bowser like this.
  5. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the Saurus Sunblood. His command ability is really good, but he is slow and the other leaders and knights will probably be pretty far ahead of him, fighting stuff. He can be used to back up your warriors, but with their small numbers they are probably better for sitting on objectives rather than fighting. I just worry your paying 120 points for only his Command ability and you won't get a lot of other usage out of him. He isn't super killy either. The Scar vet on a coldone's command ability also kind of acts as a reroll for most of your army. I wonder if a 2nd vet on a cold one would be better. It gives your knights a 2nd bite attack as well.

Something to consider!

Jason839 and Bowser like this.
  6. Jason839
    Salamander

Yeah its definitely something to think about. If I took him out and went with a 2nd cold one vet I'd want to maximize my knights. What about this version that is less balanced, but more aggression?

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
    - General
    - Trait: Legendary Fighter
    - Artefact: Relic Blade
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    - Warblade
    Skink Starpriest

Battleline
    10 x Saurus Knights
    - Lances
    - Seraphon Battleline
    10 x Saurus Knights
    - Lances
    - Seraphon Battleline
    10 x Saurus Warriors
    - Spears

Units
    5 x Chameleon Skinks
    5 x Chameleon Skinks

Behemoths
    Troglodon

Battalions
    Bloodclaw Starhost

Bowser likes this.
  7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I would drop the warriors and trog. Take 1 unit of 10 knights and two units of 5 knights. Then bring back the bastiladon.

Buldi and Jason839 like this.
  8. Jason839
    Salamander

I like your suggestion. If I did go with 3 units of knights is bloodclaw still the way to go or should i shift to firelance?

Bowser likes this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Stick with the blood claw to use all the command abilities I would say.

Killer Angel likes this.
  10. Jason839
    Salamander

Got a practice game in against Skaven. The heavy amounts of shots they are able to put out with ratlings and stormfiends really put the hurt on my cav units. I was able to grind out a 4 to 1 win but it really hit home how difficult it is to protect my heroes against heavy shooting. Hope I don't see a lot of it at the tournament.

Bowser likes this.
  11. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

Hey Jason, glad to hear you grinded out the W. Would you mind talking a little bit more about your game?

The one thing I've learned about AoS, is that it isn't 40k, everything dies. In some ways, the Mortal wound mechanic is good way to balance the game. It prevents Deathstars from existing. That being said, certain armies have disproportionate access to mortal wounds and it can be a bit overpowered. From my research and my limited playing experience, Chaos is pretty popular. If you want to be prepared for ranged mortal wound spamming, I would get as many practice games as you can against stormfiends and Beastclaw Raiders. It's a tough game and you will be removing a lot of models, but at least you know what to expect. Good luck in your future games!

Bowser likes this.
  12. Jason839
    Salamander

My opponent played the clan skyre battalion that lets them tunnel the battalion anywhere on the board. So they had 3 rattling cannons, 2 units of stormfiends with ratlings, the warlock that gives them plus 1 to hit, the warlock that lets them shoot in hero phase, and a unit of the big guys that let them do d6 attacks on 6s. Oh and 3 of the mortal wound snipers. Sorry for the vague descriptions but I don't know scaven well.

We had the scenario where there are three objectives in the center line and you had to have a hero near them to capture and score points. His guys had a lot of wounds and shots and popped up on my right flank. I sent my knights and scar vets to capture the objectives, my monsters to deal with the stormfiends that popped up, and used my chameleon skinks to alpha his heros and managed to kill one. The rest of the game was a grind fest as he shot over 100 shots a turn and I took down his giant rats 1 wound at a time. Having more heros than him and sniping one early with the skinks allowed me to win by objective even though he probably would have shot me off the table given enough time.

Bowser, Seraphage and LordRibbit like this.
  13. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

Great job, skaven are a very tough nut to crack but you showed that with a balanced army and playing the mission then you can still get wins!

Bowser likes this.
  14. Jason839
    Salamander

Went to the tournament and lost spectacularly with list.

Bloodclaw battalion

Old blood on carno
    Scar vet on carno
    2x scar vet on cold one
    10x knights
    5x knights
    5x knights

5x chameleon
    5x chameleon
    1x bastilidon
    1x star priest

Played 2 tzneech chaos and 1 sylvaneth

The entire tournament was tzeench magic/ mass shooting armies with mass mortal wound and multiple wound spam. My army did great when they were attacking but with the game letting players shoot while engaged and cover not really having much effect, I was shot off the table very easily and didn't score a single vp. Tough day for the lizards.

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Tough break man. Thunderquake or shadowstrike probably would have done better, but hindsight is 20/20. Tough when you're fighting against newer armies, as power creep has infected the tournaments. I suppose the next tourney will feature a lot tzeench and stormcast griphon riders. Back to the meta boards.

scubrat and Jason839 like this.
  16. Jason839
    Salamander

Thanks. Yeah it was a frustrating experience to be sure. I'm going back to the drawing board.

Bowser likes this.
  17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yeah, shooting is overpowered in AoS.

The fact is: we are a melee army. We can melee in various ways, but we are structured for CC and our shooting is merely made for support, so it's impossible for us to overshoot specialized armies.

Probably I'll open a topic on it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  18. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

Agree with @Bowser, thunderquake would work well with two bastiladons, they can screw up people's chances of capturing objectives in most of the pitched battles by just sitting on them except Blood and Glory and Three Places of Power and in both of these game types they still provide a huge tactical advantage. In a thunderquake starhost they need an average of 16 mortals or 72 wounds to kill them and that's without the healing they get each hero phase. I play them against beastclaws and sylvaneth and they can stand up to them quite well.

Bowser likes this.
  19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Done! enjoy the Seraphon Shooting Armies thread. :)

Buldi, Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  20. Jason839
    Salamander

So I've been thinking about the armies I played at the tournament and I feel like part of what hurt me was the bastilidon. When everyone else in my army is moving along he's kinda durdling up to an objective. With 300 pts of my army tied into a slow creature that they know they won't kill anyway, my opponents were free to target my knights and Carnos with their mortal wound and multiple wound spells and ranged attacks.

So I took out the bastilidon from my bloodclaw list and added in the shadow strike battalion. My thinking is rippers will force my opponents to play more conservatively, allowing my fast and mobile army to gain board control and score objectives early.

New 2000 pt list

Bloodclaw
    Old blood on carno
    Scar vet on carno
    Scar vet on cold one
    Scar vet on cold one
    10x knights
    5x knights
    5x knights

Shadowstrike
    1 skink starpriest
    5x chameleon skinks