1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2 Qs

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by m0gstar, Apr 30, 2017.

1. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Always seem to have new questions come up every time I play.

1) dwarven warmachine warscrolls contain two parts.. the warmachine and the crew. If I kill the crew from 1 warmachine, can the crew of another war machine man it? IE: two cannons are next to each other . Crew from one dies entirely- can the other crew from the other cannon shoot both " assuming the crew doesn't break 1" coherency to their own warmachine?

2) if I bring terradons down from the skies using the shadowstrike starhost, does that count as their movement? Wording doesn't specifically state it.

Thanks in advance !

Bowser likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Don't know the answer to 1) for sure but I think it is one crew unit per cannon. The wording of the first sentence of the description hints at it at least.

As for 2) it is not mentioned that they cannot move. In other cases in which that restriction does apply (summoning for example) they mention it on the warscroll.
    So the way we play it is that they can move.
    Edit: and that's also very important for the tactic I play since I usually drop those bombs instantly. Otherwise the enemy could just go into melee and I could never drop them.

Bowser and m0gstar like this.
  3. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

Yeah that was my thought as well. It basically would just guarantee a round of shooting with terradons, but jot let you drop rocks. Especially because the second part of the scroll ability is the "following combat phase" meaning that yes, you couldn't keep them out of combat, hope for double turn and then drop. You lose the rerolls :( curious to see how others play it so we can play it correctly next time

Bowser and Aginor like this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The crew can move to any warmachine and use it. So if e is smart he keeps crew in range of multiple cannons.

Terradons can move after coming down from the skies.

Seraphage and m0gstar like this.
  5. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

Thank you for the input!

Bowser likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

are you sure?

looking at the single warscroll, I'd say the opposite.
    "If its Crew are within 1" of the Cannon in the shooting phase, they can fire the war machine"

Is there something in the FAQ?

m0gstar and Bowser like this.
  7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yep, they're two separate units:
    Screenshot_2017-05-01-15-09-36.png

Seraphage and m0gstar like this.
  8. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

So being separate units for targeting and saves purposes is one thing, but to fire I think Killer is stating "its" because each warmachine comes with crew. Regardless of being two separate units, the crew is attached to a particular war machine, therefore they can only fire their warmachine?

I think i'm understanding correctly. Hopefully GHB v2.0 clears some of this crappola up

Bowser likes this.
  9. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

dwarf cannon scroll.jpg

This is the warscroll for the dwarf cannon out of the compendium.

The text reads - "'... if its crew are within 1'" in multiple locations. I think killer is pointing this out as though they belong to only the war machine that they came with and cannot interact with any other warmachines?

Another interesting point here.. can the Dwarf runelord buff warmachines? The runelord buffs can affect the crew, but not the warmachine because of the lack of the dispossessed keyword on the cannon? Who technically shoots? I'm under the assumption that he could buff the crew's melee weapons, but not give extra rend to the warmachine shots? Runelord text is below.

Rune Lore: In your hero phase a Runelord can pray to the Ancestor Gods to imbue his allies’ weapons and armour with power. If he does so, pick a Dispossessed unit within 16"

Forgefire: Until your next hero phase, increase the Rend characteristics of the unit’s weapons by 1 (i.e. ‘-’ becomes -1, -1 becomes -2 and so on).

Killer Angel and Bowser like this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You may be correct for the ironweld artillery, but for the flame cannon and other dwarf and empire artillery , as Crew is bolded I believe it just goes by keyword. But I concede that I hadn't even thought about it, just the way I have always played, and hasn't affected my outcomes any, but I only run one artillery if any. I could see why you would need clarification. My mistake for the hasty answer.

Seraphage likes this.
  11. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

Interesting. The world may never know.. :( I'm probably just reading too far into everything!

Bowser likes this.
  12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yep, that was exactly what I was referring to.

Good point about the Runelord affecting warmachines, never considered it.

Bowser likes this.
  13. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Since (as the warscroll says) the Cannon consists of itself and the crew I'd say it acts like it has the keyword, in the same way that causes it to not break allegiance despite lacking the keyword on the warscroll.

Bowser likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yep, but it also says of a cannon and a unit of 3 crew.
    Given that spell effects and Attacks, can affect the crew (unit) and not the whole warscroll, I'd say this reasoning applies also to abilities and so on.

But you have a point regarding Allegiance... well, the keyword "order" is included also in the cannon, so you can certainly use it in an order Allegiance, but it would be strange if you couldn't use it in a duardin Allegiance.

My take (i could be wrong) is that the dwarf cannon consists of the cannon and the crew unit (so it qualifies for Allegiances since it contains both, the cannon and the unit), but when it comes to target something with abilities, then the crew is a unit and the cannon is a thing on its own.

Aginor and Bowser like this.
  15. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

For me it definitely makes sense that the crew can shoot with it as long as they don't break coherency. I would of course count the inches to see how many of the cannon crew are close enough for the shots - I think the number affects the shots right ? Unless the cannons would be that close that all 3 of crew would be 1" from both, I would consider only the crew close enough for the number of shots
    and also :
    It doesn't make any sense at all that the crew of another cannon wouldn't be able to fire another cannon. How couldn't they have the knowledge for it?

Bowser likes this.
  16. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I would say that the cannon counts as their weapon.