1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2000 point End Times Tournament Summary, vs. UL, HE, LM

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Scalenex, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Played an eight person tournament with End Times rules allowed. Yes to Lore of Undeath and Undead and Chaos Legions. No to 50% character caps and special characters. We had a list of 12 secret objectives (kill all Core, keep all Core alive, keep all characters alive, kill most expensive unit, etc). We picked 2 per game, but I didn’t pick wisely so I did not get any objectives. There were two LM players, two UL players, two HE players, one Ogre player and one Dwarf player. I believe every matched player played at least one civil war. I don’t know if that was luck of the draw or because the event organizer found civil wars highly interesting. I was the only living army to take any Lore of Undeath casters.

My List

Slann, Lore of Light, Channeling Staff, BSB, Standard of Discipline, Harmonic Convergence, Soul of Stone, Becalming Cognition

Saurus Scar Veteran, Cold One, Armor of Destiny, Great Weapon
    Skink Chief , Egg of Quango, Light Armor, Javelins, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Striking
    Skink Priest, L1 Lore of Undeath, Dispel Scroll

23 Saurus Warriors with FC
    20 Cohort Skinks with FC
    12 Skink Skirmishers with Javelins and Shields, Patrol Leader
    26 Temple Guard, FC, Warrior Bane, Banner of Eternal Flame
    5 Chameleon Skinks

2 Salamanders
    1 Salamander with Extra Snack

Terrain

By luck I ended up not having to move my table (though all tables were fairly similar). Terrain was fairly light. My lower right corner had a dilapidated building, normal building rules but soft cover. There was an impassable ruined building in my lower left corner with a passable tunnel in it wide enough to let five Sauri through (hence called the tunnel). The dead center of the table (and every other table) was a big hill. The upper right corner had a regular building.

Game One, Lizardmen vs Undead Legions

Mounted Vampire Lord with standard Blender build, L4 with Lore of Vampires
    L2 Necromancer with Lore of Vampires and Dispel Scroll

36 zombies with Standard Bearer and Musician
    50 Skeleton Warriors with Standard Bearer and Musician
    5 dire wolves

1 Spirit Host
    15 Black Knights with Standard Bearer and Musician

Casket of Souls
    Terrogheist

I don’t remember which casters had which, but he had Vanhel’s Danse, Hellish Vigour, Gaze of Nagash, Raise Dead and a double helping of Invocation of Nehek. My Slann had Banishment, Shem’s Burning Gaze, Speed of Light, and Pha’s Protection. My Skink Priest rolled Rhazkar, the Abyssal Swarm, my current favorite Undeath spell.

Left to right, I had my Cohort Skinks (and Skink Priest) near the dilapidated building, dual Salamander pack, solo Scar Veteran, my Temple Guard behind the hill, Skink Skirmishers (and Skink Chief), my Saurus Warriors, solo Salamander pack on the far right.

Left to right, were my Chameleon Skinks on the far left corner, then the Terrorgheist 12 inches away, then the Dire Wolves, then the zombies (and Necromancer), the Black Knights (and blender lord) opposite the hill, then the big Skeleton block, then the Spirit Host. The Casket was hugging the far right corner.

UL Turn 1

The Terrorgheist pointed itself at my Chamo Skinks. Everything else pretty much marched forward.

Winds of Magic were not in my opponents favor, I shut down the whole phase easily.

The Terrorgheist screamed my poor Chamo Skinks to death.

LM Turn 1

My cowboy marched straight towards the Terrorgheist. My Temple Guard’s front rank reach the hill, and my Saurus Warriors were on their left. My dual Salamander pack on the right walked forward, my solo Salamander marched forward as did my Skirmishers.

My Skink Priest tried to summon a Spirit Host and drew all of my opponents dispel dice. Then my Slann threw some magic missiles at the Terrorgheist and inflicted two wounds.

My dual Salamander pack fired on the zombies. One ate a handler, the other burned six or seven zombies. My other shooters were unable to shoot this turn.

UL Turn 2

The Black Knights charged my Temple Guard. Zombies and skeletons moved forward slightly. Dire Wolves moved forward full. Spirit Host pointed towards my solo Salamander. Terrorgheist ignored my Cowboy flew toward my Temple Guard

Winds of Magic were favorable. He blasted my solo Salamander with Gaze of Nagash and grew some zombies back. I dispelled the rest of his spells. He used Curse of Undeath, the Lore of Vampire attribute to erase the damage I inflicted on the Terrorgheist.

I don’t remember what the Terrorgheist did, so it must not have been impressive.

My Revered Guardian declared a challenge hoping the vampire would answer, but he only got the unit champion, and my Guardian was cut down. Temple Guard killed five knights, I lost 6 or 7 Temple Guard. Combat was a draw when you factored in various modifiers.

LM Turn 2

My Salamanders charged the zombies. My Saurus Warriors charged the Skeleton Warriors. My Cowboy marched within spitting distance of the zombies flank. My Skirmishers moved towards the Terrorgheist. My Cohort Skinks were not in range of anything in their building so they left exited it.

I had good winds of magic but due to my opponent’s dispel scroll I didn’t cast much. My Slann’s Light buffs were dispelled. My Skink Priests attempt to summon a Spirit Host scared out my opponent’s dispel scroll. I did manage to blast the enemy Spirit Host to ectoplasmic goo with a magic missile.

My Cohort Skinks obliterated the Dire Wolves. My Skirmishers fired on the Terrorgheist inflicting two or three wounds. The Sallies were all engaged or dead.

My Salamander crew took a wound or two, but they killed many zombies in return. My Saurus Warriors took a wound or two, but killed a modest number of skeletons in return. The skeletons chose to reform into horde formation for more attacks next round.

UL Turn 3

The Terrorgheist charged the rear of my Temple Guard. Nothing else could move.

I dispelled a lot, but he got Invocation of Nehek on the Knights erasing most of the damage I inflicted last turn and bringing back a few zombies.

The Terrorgheist screamed a few more Temple Guard dead.

The Temple Guard were chewed up, but my opponent’s rolls were unlucky so the damage wasn’t nearly as bad as it should have been with all the attacks coming at me. The Salamanders did even better killing many zombies and taking no wounds in return.

LM Turn 3

My Scar Veteran flanked the zombies fighting my Salamander. My Skink Skirmished charged the flank of the Terrorgheist in a desperate attempt to save the Slann. My Cohort Skinks followed behind them, ready to charge next round if the Skirmishers died.

I got 12 power dice after channels but my opponent had seven dice after channeling. I bubbled Speed of Light but the rest of my spells were stopped.

I had nothing that could shoot at this time.

My troops were all WS 10 and I10 at this time. My Skink Chief threw the Egg of Quango but I rolled a 1 on the chart and the feeble hatchling inflicted no damage. The Skink Chief redeemed himself by personally inflicting two wounds on the T-Bat. The unit inflicted another wound on the big monster. The Temple Guard took down a few knights. My Temple Guard were reduced to four or five models. On the plus side, I won CR by just enough to crumble the Terrorgheist to death. My Skinks, now out of combat, reformed my Skirmishers for an emergency charge later.

In less important combats, my Salamander and Scar Veteran continued to beat on zombies taking no damage in return. My Saurus Warriors took almost no wounds from the skeletons despite their big scary horde formation. I killed a modest number of skeletons from regular damage and crumble. I decided they weren’t dying fast enough so I widened my Sauri’s frontage to seven models.

UL Turn 4

Ref called last turn.

Nothing to move really.

He successfully cast Hellish Vigour or Vanhel’s Danse on his knights, I don’t remember which.

His only shooter was dead.

Temple Guard were wiped out. The Slann took some hits, one with Killing Blow, but he passed his Ward saves with gusto then passed his Ld 4 break test. My Salamander and Scar Veteran continued to chew up some zombies and the Saurus Warriors beat up more skellies.

LM Turn 4

My Skink Skirmishers charged the corner of the knights. My Cohort Skinks maneuvered towards the knight’s flank as if there was going to be a turn 5.

I got Speed of Light cast on my Skink Skirmishers.

I had nothing that could shoot.

My Scar Veteran and Salamanders nearly wiped out the zombies. My Saurus Warriors nearly killed off the entire Skeleton block. The Black Knights nearly slew my Slann and nearly broke the Skinks.

With so few units wholly destroyed, I only lost by about 350 points. Minor loss I guess. Note in this tournament the losing player gets more points for a minor loss than a major loss but the winner gets the same point for a minor victor or a major one. This UL guy went on to win the tournament and the sportsmanship award. He was well-deserving of both awards though as far as I’m concerned the everyone present was a model of good sportsmanship.

Game Two, Lizardmen vs High Elves

I don’t have a copy of his army list, so this is approximate.

A L4 Metal Caster (deployed in Pheonix Guard) with Glittering Robes, Searing Doom, Plague of Rust, and Transmutation of Lead and the Book of Hoeth.

L2 Light caster (deployed with archers) with both magic missiles and a Dispel Scroll
    Fairly vanilla BSB Prince in Phoenix Guard

15 archers with FC
    40 Lothern Sea Guard with FC in horde formation

20 Phoenix Guard with FC
    20 White Lions with FC

2 Bolt Throwers
    2 solo Eagles with no upgrades

The scenario was a basic Battleline, but whoever had the most Fortitude on or near the center hill got 500 bonus points.

Left to right, my Cohort positioned near the building (again). Then my dual Salamander pack, then my Temple Guard. Since my Slann bunker had most of my fortitude, I put them right behind the hill. I wanted to get the hill, so I put my Scar Veteran in the Temple Guard. My Saurus Warriors took their right flank to support them. Then I had my Skirmishers with both Skink characters. My solo Salamander was hugging the right table edge.

Left to right, an eagle hugged the left edge of the board. Then was small open space my Chameleon Skinks (I wasn’t quite in his deployment zone but close). Then a bolt thrower. Then the White Lions, then The Phoenix Guard. Then the Sea Guard, then the archers and the other bolt thrower was hugging the right table edge.

My Slann’s spells ultimately would not matter, my Skink Priest took the signature Undeath spell, Rzye.

LM Turn 1

My Temple Guard marched towards the hill, their front rank just reach it with the Saurus Warriors marching parallel. My dual Salamanders walked forward while my right most Salamander marched forward. My Skink Skirmishers marched through the “tunnel.” My Cohort Skinks took the building.

My Slann cast Shem’s Burning Gaze on rightmost eagle and got IF with two dice. Two dice, miscast. Then got sucked into a Vortex killing 18 Temple Guard including the unit champion and wounding my Scar Veteran. To add insult to injury, I only inflicted one wound on the eagle. Needless to say, I said blasphemous things about the Old Ones.

My Chameleon Skinks inflicted a wound on the left most Eagle. My dual Salamander pack ate a handler and cooked four or five White Lions. The rest of my shooters couldn’t shoot due to marching or being out of range.

HE Turn 1

The HE infantry decided to stay put (the death of so many TG took away their urgency I guess). The left most Eagle ignored the Chameleon Skinks near them and flew towards my Temple Guard’s flank. The right most Eagle swooped around my Skirmishers and pointed at the back of my Saurus block.

I dispelled Plague of Rust, but he plinked a Saurus or two with Searing Doom.

The left most Bolt Thrower opted for a volley and killed one Chamo Skink. The other Bolt plus the archers Thrower took two wounds off of my solo Salamander. The Sea Guard killed a Saurus Warrior or two.

LM Turn 2

My solo Salamander charged the left most bolt thrower. It was a long shot charge but I made it. My Temple Guard bravely occupied the hill. My Saurus Warriors marched towards the Sea Guard. My Chameleon Skinks occupied the building near the left most Bolt Thrower. My dual Salamander pack positioned for a shot on the White Lions. My Skirmishers turned towards the right most Eagle. My Cohort Skinks in the building were out of range of everything so they exited the building.

I tried to summon 16 skeleton archers, but only succeeding in drawing out my enemy’s dispel scroll.

My Cohort Skink took a wound of the left most Eagle. My Skink Skirmishers killed the right most Eagle extra dead. My dual Salamander pack killed a few more White Lions and panicked them. My Chameleon Skinks killed the left most Bolt Thrower dead with a very impressive poisoned volley.

My Salamander had bloodless fight with the Bolt Thrower crew (despite their failed Fear test). I won CR by a point, but failed to break them.

HE Turn 2

The archers charged my Salamander’s juicy flank. The White Lions rallied. The rest of his troops didn’t move or moved very little.

He cast bubbled Glittering Robe, but I dispelled the rest of his magic phase.

Most of his shooters were dead or engaged in close combat, but the Sea Guard killed another Saurus Warrior or two.

The ASF archers and war machine crew killed my Salamander before he could bite back. The archers restrained their overrun and reformed.

LM Turn 3

My Saurus Warriors charged into the Sea Guard taking a wound from the Stand and Shoot. My Skirmishers positioned for a shot on the archers. My dual Salamanders positioned for another basting of the White Lions (that would also hit the Phoenix Guard if they overshot it). My Chameleon Skinks exited their building and the two Salamanders took their spot.

I successfully cast Ryze, summoning 16 skeleton archers pointed right at the enemy archers.

My Skink Skink Skirmishers and skeleton archers shot about seven or eight Elf archers dead. My Chameleon Skinks plinked ineffectually at the White Lions (now with 1+ saves versus shooting). My Salamanders got very lovely shots, but they only killed two or three White Lions (who now had 1+ saves versus shooting with Glittering Robe boosting them). They also nicked the Phoenix Guard but all the PG made their saves.

My Saurus Warriors could not make much of a dent in the Glittering Robe Sea Guard and the Sea Guard could not kill many Saurus Warriors, but I had lost so many Sauri to enemy shooting and magic that I lost by a decent margin due to ranks. The Sauri broke and were run down.

HE Turn 3

The Phoenix Guard and Sea Guard charged my severely depleted Temple Guard. The White Lions repositioned themselves a bit.

I dispelled his attempt to renew bubbled Glittering Robes, but he hexed my Temple Guard with Transmutation of Lead.

The Bolt thrower failed to inflict damage on my dual Salamander pack.

I issued a challenge with my wounded Scar Veteran. He answered with his BSB. One of my secret missions was killed the enemy BSB so I was hoping I could salvage some tourney points out of this game, but I rolled poorly with my saving throws and my Scar Veteran was slain before he could attack. My Temple Guard lost combat by a wide margin, but I didn’t lose a whole lot of models. They fled and escaped.

LM Turn 4

Ref called last turn.

My Skeleton archers charged the High Elf archers. The Elves answered back by killing one with the Stand and Shoot. My Temple Guard rallied. My Skirmishers, Chameleons, and Salamanders positioned for some shots on the back of the HE infantry blocks.

I tried to summon some Grave Guard but it was shut down hard as my opponent had six dispel dice to my eight (and I can only use six).

I killed about a fair number of High Elves with Skink shooting but no one panicked because I didn’t have the positioning to concentrate fire on a single unit.

My Skeleton Archers traded wounds with the HE archers. I won combat by a slight margin but the Elves held.

HE Turn 4

He tried to charge my Temple Guard with his Phoenix Guard and Sea Guard but he whiffed his charge rolls.

He killed my remaining Temple Guard with Searing Doom.

The Bolt Thrower missed.

My skeletons directed max attacks on the enemy Light wizard but only inflicted one wound. The rest of my skeletons killed the enemy archers to the last elf, but the wizard would not break.

Game over, I lost by 1802 points. The game would have gone a lot differently if I didn’t have my freak miscast. Given how relatively well my Skinks did, I think I would have won if my Temple Guard and Slann were intact.

Game Three, Lizardmen versus Lizardmen

The last scenario was a battleline but if one side killed a higher percentage of the enemy’s characters, they got 500 extra points.

My opponent was a long-time 40K player, relatively new WHF player. He did not take a BSB and had zero Skinks.

Slann Mage Priest, Harmonic Convergence, Focus of Mystery

Saurus Scar Veteran, Carnosaur (both upgrades), Stegadon Helm, magic weapon of some type I forgot, light armor and shield.

2 x 25 Saurus Warriors with spears, standard and Musician

16 Temple Guard with Standard and Musician
    Solardon

EOTG Ancient Stegadon

Left to right. My troops were relatively equally spaced. I placed my Skink Cohort in the dilapidated building. I had my solo Salamander pack, my Temple Guard (behind the hill), my Saurus Warriors with my Scar Veteran in tow, my Skink Skirmishers (and both Skink characters) were in front of the “tunnel” and my mated pair of Salamanders was hugging my right edge.

Left to right, the Scarnosaur faced off against my Skinks, there was a wide gap, then 25 Spear Sauri Warriors, then a modest gap, then the other 25 strong Saurus block with the Solardon on their immediate flank. The Ancient Stegadon was behind the second Saurus block. Then the Temple Guard and Slann. My Chameleon Skinks were deployed in zone hugging the right table edge.

My opponent’s Slann had all seven High Magic spells. My Slann had Banishment, Shem’s Burning Gaze, Speed of Light, and Pha’s Protection. My Skink rolled Khizzar the Soul Stealer (Ld based magic missile). As much fun as Summoning spells are, I figured Khizzar was so good at killing big dinosaurs that I should keep it.

Enemy LM Turn 1

Everything but the Ancient Stegadon marched forward at me full tilt. The Steggy moved behind the gap between the TG and nearest spear block.

I dispelled Walk Between Worlds. He cast movement boosting Hand of Glory on the Saurus block with the Bastiladon.

Nothing to shoot and no close combat.

My LM Turn 1

Temple Guard and Saurus blocks marched forward. My solo Salamander walked forward. My Skink Skirmishers through the tunnel and wheeled right. My mated Salamanders marched around the tunnel. My Chameleon Skinks marched towards the Temple Guard’ Flank.

I plinked a Temple Guard or two with Khizzar lacking any better magical targets (I was out of range for arcane vassaling).

My Chameleon Skinks killed another Temple Guard. My solo Salamander killed three or four Saurus Warriors from the left most enemy block. My Cohort Skink in the building plinked the Scarnosaur and miraculously inflicted an unsaved wound on the Scar Veteran.

]Enemy LM Turn 2

The Scarnosaur charged my Cohort Skinks in the building. My Stand and Shoot inflicted a wound on the Carnosaur giving the big guy Frenzy. The left most Saurus Warriors charged my solo Salamander who bolted. He then redirected into my Temple Guard’s flank. The right most Spear block charged and Solardon charged my Saurus Warrior block with my Scar Veteran Cowboy. The Ancient Stegadon charged my five Chameleon Skinks who wisely fled. The Temple Guard charged my dual Salamander pack which fled causing the Temple Guard to redirect into my Skirmisher block’s flank. Fleeing would have taken me off the table, so the Skirmishers held their ground.

Poor Winds of Magic roll let me shut down his entire magic phase.

Nothing to shoot.

In the fight between my Cohort Skinks and the Scarnosaur. My Cohort Skinks piled all ten attacks against the Scar Veteran but failed to inflict a wound. I lost about five or six Skinks. The Scarnosaur couldn’t take the building so my Skinks fled out the opposite side.

In the fight between my Temple Guard and an enemy block of Saurus Warriors, despite being flanked I won combat by one point with good rolls. They reformed to face them with my front.

In the fight between my Saurus Warriors and the enemy Saurus Warriors and Bastiladon, my Saurus tended to roll better and killed a few more than they received. Due to positioning, the enemy Bastiladon had to direct all his attacks at my Cowboy and injured him once with the high strength tail attack. The Scar Veteran singled handedly slew the Bastiladon winning CR for me with that. My Sauri broke and run down the enemy Sauri.

In the fight between his Temple Guard and my Skink Skirmishers. I killed four or five Temple Guard with the Egg of Quango. Then I made way with my Skink Chief whose mighty Sword of Striking struck down two more. My Skinks were badly mauled, broke and fled off the table. The Temple Guard pursued them off the table but did not catch them. If he caught them he would have gotten secret mission points, since assassinate the Skink Priest was one of his objectives.

My LM Turn 2

My Cohort Skinks rallied as did my solo Salamander pack. The dual Salamander pack kept running. My victorious Saurus Warriors wheeled towards the enemy EOTG Steggy. Everything else I had was either dead or already engaged.

With the enemy Slann temporarily off the board, I practically had a free reign with the magic phase, but I only had two spells I was able to use, my Temple Guard got both Speed of Light and Pha’s Protection.

Nothing could shoot.

My Temple Guard had better base stats and two buffs so they devastated the enemy Saurus Warrior block routing the five or six survivors who got away.

Enemy LM Turn 3

The Carnosaur charged my Cohort Skinks a second time. I answered back with an ineffectual stand and shoot. The EOTG Steggy moved to avoid my big Saurus block. The enemy Slann bunker arrived back on the table. The fleeing depleted Saurus block failed to rally and kept running.

Walk Between Worlds on the Temple Guard. I let it through because I wanted them closer. Then I dispelled his attempt at Hand of Glory. I dispelled an attempt to active the Engine.

His Stegadon marched so no shooting.

The Scarnosaur challenged my Skink Brave and flattened him. The Scarnosaur broke the Skinks and ran them down triumphantly exiting the table.

My LM Turn 3

My Temple Guard charged the fleeing Saurus Warriors hoping for a good roll, but they merely made the Sauri flee some more. My Saurus Warriors charged the enemy Slann bunker. My rallied Salamander marched rightwards away from the Scarnosaur and towards the enemy Temple Guard. My other Salamander pack finally rallied a few inches from the table edge.

My opponent dispelled Speed of Light on my Saurus Warriors but I got Pha’s Protection through. Then I used my remaining dice to try plink a Saurus or two off the fleeing block my Saurus was facing but I rolled very poor damage rolls.

I had nothing that could shoot.

My Pha’s Protection Saurus Warriors beat down many Temple Guard, but the Slann bunker held as they usually do.

Enemy LM Turn 4

Ref called last turn.

Carnosaur came back on to the field. Ancient Steggy tried a charge on my Temple Guard’s rear and failed.

I shut down his magic phase.

Nothing to shoot.

My Saurus Warriors and Scar Veteran depleted the enemy bunker to a single Temple Guard and the Slann.

My LM Turn 4

My solo Salamander charged the flank of the enemy Slann. My other Salamanders were too far removed from the battle to do anything so they stayed put. My Temple Guard symbolically marched towards the enemy Scarnosaur.

I tried to eliminate the fleeing Saurus remnants with magic missiles but failed.

Nothing was in range to shoot.

My Salamander tried to bit at the Slann but failed. My Saurus Warriors inflicted two or three wounds on the Slann while my Scar Veteran beat the snot out of the last Temple Guard. The Slann broke and I ran him down with the Salamander.

Both of us killed half of the enemy characters so no bonus points, but I won by 1930 points (after bonus points) having wiped out most of his army and taken every standard.

Closing Thoughts

I got seventh place out of eight due to only winning one out of three games and getting no secret mission objectives. The only army I’ve never lost to (besides Daemons which I haven’t played) is Lizardmen. I’ve played a total of five civil wars, and I’ve had five crushing victories. Fear me Lustria-Online! Let it not be said I can’t keep order amongst my kind.

I plan to try a L2 Undeath Skink Priest next. I think that would have given me more flexibility overall and it would have been fantastic in game two. One spell is easy to block, but with two spells, I could have consistently gotten one through. Even without the allure of Undeath, I think if I play a Slann without Wandering Deliberations or Lore Master I should probably have at least two non-Slann spells to cast just as a safety net (or for variety since no one lore covers everything).

I felt almost naked with no Kroxigor but at a mere 2000 points I couldn’t fit them in without making unacceptable cuts to my other units. Fortunately I didn’t have much problem with enemy heavies. I somehow took down a Terrorgheist with Skink melee and the enemy Lizardmen player did not deploy his big dinosaur well. The Ancient Stegadon was not nearly aggressive enough and the Carnosaur wasted a lot of time chewing up lowly Cohort Skinks. The High Elves were Phoenix-free (not that they needed a Phoenix to beat me).

I knew the guy who organized the tournament (he was good at tabling me). I didn’t realize until the end that the tournament organizer was a guy who never lost a local tournament. He said he did not like the harsh competitive attitude he had, so he stopped playing tourneys and became an organizer instead (though he plays many casual games). I didn’t think he turned into a bad guy when he got competitive, he just went from being a very nice guy to regular guy. Points for self-awareness I guess.