1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2000 pts, Start Collecting + Battalion Box + Kroak

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by PartyFoul, Aug 2, 2016.

1. PartyFoul
    Skink

PartyFoul Member

Hello all, I thought I'd share the rough list I'm building, moreso by accident than by design. I started my Seraphon collection with an old Lizardmen Battalion Box, I added Lord Kroak to it, and I have a Start Collecting box coming in the mail. The list below also contemplates me adding another box of warriors and 3 salamanders.

Lord Kroak
    Saurus Warriors (40)
    Saurus Guard (10)
    Saurus Knights (15)
    Oldblood on Carnosaur
    Salamanders (3)

The general strategy for the list is fairly straightforward. Send the Knights + Carnosaur out in front to hit and run, advance the Saurus Warriors as the core of the army, leave the Guard behind to guard Kroak, and let Kroak and the Salamanders snipe / support.

The biggest downside of this list that I perceive is the absence of any real combos or synergies. There are no formations, either.

I'll reiterate that the goal of this list is to field something decent using as much of the Battalion Box and the Start Collecting box as possible, while adding a limited number of add'l models. In the list above, I'm using everything in those boxes except the Skinks.

Any other ways you would consider organizing a list with those raw materials?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

Hey PartyFoul! Given what you have I would say the list is fine, you are right about the lack of synergies though. Saying that in a normal game against mates it's more than enough to roll with.

IIRC the old lizardman box was: SG, Saurus, CoK & Skinks? So you should have 10/12 skinks spare? They come in 10s now so I'll go with that.

I think it would be worth squeezing 10 of these in, a lot of people don't rate 10 skink units round here because of their.......dreadful damage output but I think they have a use. They can sit on objectives and with bravery 10 & wary fighter can be really quite resilient. I would drop 10 saurus in order to fit them in (leaves you 20pts under but there's nothing we can do with that. This also gives you 2 battleline to take the Order Allegiance for the nice bonuses (instead of being forced into Seraphon to take Guard/Knights as your battleline). Another way of doing this would be to split the Saurus in to 2x20 but I think the nice hefty blocks are quite good. So either of those options (and your original!) is fine.

I'd also play a game or 2 "proxying" Kroak as a normal Slann, this gives you 280pts to play with but I know you weren't looking to add much so this can probably wait for a while :)

PartyFoul and Bowser like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Convert the warriors to guards if you have enough spare parts, convert one into an Eternity warden maybe?

PartyFoul and Bowser like this.
  4. dwarfepic
    Chameleon Skink

dwarfepic Active Member

You can cut the heads of saurus spears and put on the sword blades to make temple guard. The modrla arnt as big but it works.

PartyFoul likes this.
  5. PartyFoul
    Skink

PartyFoul Member

Thanks a bunch for the ideas! A couple of folks have suggested proxying Kroak as a regular Slann. If I do that, and also deploy the previously sidelined Skinks, I'm at 1,800 points:

Since I haven't actually purchased the Salamanders yet, I could cut them, bringing us down to 1,620, add a Bastiladon (now up to 1,920 total), and add a second unit of Skinks. That gives me a battleline of 1x40 Saurus Warriors and 2x10 Skinks, and then I can take Order, rather than Seraphon.

It ends up being a very infantry heavy list, but the upshot of it is that I'm just starting out, and that makes it easy to field variations as I add higher point value models. It's also relatively cost-effective, as I'm just adding a box of Saurus Warriors and a Bastiladon. While the Bastiladon isn't the cheapest unit, it's been on my short-list / wish-list for a while.

Leaders
    Oldblood on Carnosaur (General)
    Slann Starmaster

Battleline
    40 Saurus Warriors
    10 Skinks
    10 Skinks

Behemoth
    Bastiladon

Other Units
    5 Knights
    5 Knights
    5 Knights
    10 Guard

Tozon and Bowser like this.
  6. Tozon
    Saurus

Tozon Active Member

I like the list! It is a bit hero light meaning you may struggle in scenario #5 (Places of power) but apart from that is solid.

I really think the best thing to do is get it to the table and see how you feel when playing it :)