1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2000pt Bloodclaw Starhost for 2018

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Jason839, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I am gearing up to start playing again and I am going to start focusing on this list to start with. I feel it has a lot of potential and the amount of damage it can deal is impressive.

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood
    - General
    - Command Trait : Legendary Fighter
    - Suntooth Maul
    - Artefact : Light of Dracothion
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
    - Artefact : Incandescent Rectrices
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    - War Spear
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One
    Skink Starpriest

Units
    40 x Saurus Warriors - Spears
    10 x Saurus Knights -Spears
    10 x Saurus Knights -Spears
    10 x Skinks -Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks -Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

Battalions
    Bloodclaw Starhost
    Total: 2000 / 2000
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Leaders: 6/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4
    Wounds: 149

Tons of synergies in this list, and thats how I love to play Seraphon.

Everyone is getting extra bite due to bloodclaw.
    Saurus near oldblood and scar-vet on cold one will be re-rolling 1s to hit and 1s to wound.
    If saurus unit was chosen by scar-vet on carno, 6s to hit will generate extra attacks.
    If saurus unit was chosen for serpent staff by starpriest, 6s to wound on bites will generate extra wounds.
    All heroes granted 2 more attacks by Ancient Warlord.
    Everyone near Oldblood will get free re-form of 3 inches, shortening or increasing charge distance as desired.
    Light of Dracothian on Combat general allows crucial debuff before major combat phase.
    Incandescent Rectrices gives Oldblood on Carno a 50/50 shot to stay alive and get out of danger, allowing the army to be effective 1 more turn than it usually would. ( I play bloodclaw a lot and usually my carnos dont die till turn 4 so that means turn 5 potentially. Big deal getting to keep your buffs that crucial final turn)
    Lots of different hard to deal with threats helps combat mortal wound effectiveness.
    Lots of bodies spread out over board limits areas that enemy can teleport.
    Skinks can be used for chaff or to claim objectives.
    Still seraphon allegiance so 1 unit can teleport to get better positioning or to claim objectives.
    Terror sub-theme with icons debuffing leadership.
    Lots of fast and manueverable units with decent anvils in saurus warrior horde.
    Intimidating as hell to see on table

Captaniser and Seraphage like this.
  2. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

This could work, I like the ideas around it.
    It only has 2 problems. 1 is magic, which is a bit of a trouble, not having summon starlight + mystic shield at the same time hurts our 5+ a lot.

2nd and biggest I guess : There is no real way to bypass opponents' chaff and the retaliation is gonna hurt as we have no save to be considerated seriously. How do you plan on dealing with this?

Besides these 2 points, this list while kind of a glass cannon, can definitely hit a good punch :cool:

Jason839 likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I also like it but agree with @Seraphage:
    If you encounter a magic heavy army you have to hit them hard and quickly.

As for the chaff problem.... I am not sure if that's that big of a problem, that depends on the mission, the terrain and so on. With teleporting and the speed of cavalry it might be possible to avoid chaff to a certain degree.

@Jason839 what is your experience with chaff? How do you normally handle it using armies similar to this one?

Jason839 likes this.
  4. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Depending on the situation the right call tends to be waiting for the chance of a double turn to kill the chaff and Other stuff in one go. Sometimes if they bring too much chaff I can ignore the chaff and grab objectives while the opponents chaff slows them down by being in the way. Other times If I think they won’t do much damage I can smash the chaff and use a unit as bait to draw the opponent out of position. Since I usually win by objectives I don’t feel that killing chaff is a waste of a turn. As long as I don’t take too much damage I am denying my opponent objective grabbers and gaining board position.

Seraphage and Aginor like this.