1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The winners of the Golden Serpent 2016 competition has been announced! For more information, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have added a section to discuss Kings of War and the new race Salamanders that is currently in beta. Feel free to discuss anything about Kings of War in these forums. Click here to check it out and post!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. AOS Campaign Warband competition is here! Aid the community by Giving us your ideas! For more information, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

KoW 2000pts for Fools of War!

Discussion in 'Salamanders Army Lists' started by BAE, Dec 19, 2016.

1. BAE
    Temple Guard

BAE Well-Known Member

I have a two day, 2000pts tournament coming up on April 1st / 2nd in Stockport (@Crowsfoot you might be able to make that as you're in the North West if I remember correctly?) and would appreciate some advice on a list. The main lesson I've taken away from all my games so far is to replace everything with Fire Elementals. As such, I came up with a list that includes one more horde, as well as a couple of other changes. However, I'm currently over points so wanted to see what people might suggest to get me back under the 2000pts mark. This is the list as it stands:

Heros
    - CLoFD w/ Winged & Ensorcelled Armour The Fog (*hat tip @Negator *)
    - Mage-Priest w/ Mounted, Myrddin's Amulet of the Fire-heart & Surge
    - Mage-Priest w/ Inspiring Talisman & Surge
    - Herald w/ Diadem of Dragon-kind Healing Charm

Monsters
    - Greater Fire Elemental
    - Lekelidon
    - Lekelidon

Hordes
    - Fire Elementals
    - Fire Elementals
    - Salamander Primes

Regiments
    - Kaisenor Lancers w/ Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar

Troops
    - Salamander Unblooded
    - Salamander Unblooded

After the alterations that leaves me 15 points under. I'm currently leaning towards Brew of Haste on the Prime Horde but do people have any other ideas? Maybe changing a Troop of Unbloodeds into Primes? Or something else?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM
    Negator and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Skink Priest

Crowsfoot Well-Known Member

Could you drop a regiment of Ember sprites and add the 45 points left in items?

And I will look at coming over to watch the Torny.

BAE likes this.
  3. BAE
    Temple Guard

BAE Well-Known Member

I was toying with that idea, but I'm quite magic item heavy already and I'm quite liking the 13 drops! But then the only other option is to drop some magic items, which then stops the various units currently carrying them from doing what I need them to.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Skink Priest

Or drop the Lancers down to a troop and use the 25 points left?

BAE likes this.
  5. Negator
    Saurus

Negator Member

looks great man, id probably drop the primes for unblooded to make room

BAE likes this.
  6. BAE
    Temple Guard

BAE Well-Known Member

I really need them to be punchy unfortunately as most of the time they'll be hitting units' fronts. They'll be hiding behind either a Lekelidon or Sprites, but I've got no units earmarked to team up with them to increase the total damage output. I really need them to hit and seriously hurt in one turn.

I'd not thought of that... But without Pathfinder would a unit of that sheer size not get extraordinarily unwieldy? It definitely makes sense if it were not for that.

7. BAE
    Temple Guard

BAE Well-Known Member

And I completely missed the second line of this! That's awesome! How come you're not thinking to play if you can come along??

8. Crowsfoot
    Skink Priest

Got the details?

BAE likes this.
  9. BAE
    Temple Guard

BAE Well-Known Member

I have attached the Tournament pack to the original post. For the 'official' page (if there are updates posted etc.) join Kings of War Fanatics on Facebook and then Fools of War! 2 Day KoW Event. I'm hardly a tournament veteran but if you have any questions, or need any support with anything, just let me know and I'll do what I can to help!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  10. Negator
    Saurus

Negator Member

Yeah, I just figured you could deploy around the terrain and position the elementals and vac to fight through it

Crowsfoot and BAE like this.
  11. BAE
    Temple Guard

BAE Well-Known Member

That is a very, very good point! When I started they were the only unit with Pathfinder. Now pretty much the whole army has it!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  12. BAE
    Temple Guard

BAE Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this suggestion. I know I might be forced into opting for it, but a horde of Unbloodeds are considerably worse than Primes. For 40 points more, Primes have +1 Defence, 1 higher nerve and Pathfinder. That might not sound much, but the difference in outcome is pretty considerable. The most probable chance of routing is 50% once Unbloodeds have been hit 28 times, Primes can take 46. If the opponent has CS(1), Unbloodeds will have 50% chance of routing after 21 hits, Primes 30. That's about a third more 'sticking power'. And Pathfinder on top of that!

Essentially, due to the huge footprint the only way I can think to use Primes/Unbloodeds is as an anvil refusing a flank. Without sticking power, I just can't see the point of them... Any ideas?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Negator
    Saurus

Negator Member

thats a very good point and is making me question using regiments of unblooded over primes lol.

It does however make me think that 3-4 troops of unblooded with 2h weapons has merit by simply ignoring defense altogether and trying to match them up against stuff with CS2 to start with.

BAE and Crowsfoot like this.
  14. BAE
    Temple Guard

BAE Well-Known Member

I've left it a while, gone back to the list and made a few alterations to the first post that leave me 15pts under. Annoyingly it's not 20 as I am loath to have both MPs unmounted. Double-surging often requires a burst of speed to line them both up so losing the Kaiesnor is quite painful. Any ideas to finish the list off?

Rather nicely I'll have the opportunity to test the list sooner than Fools of War - I'm attending Norwich Clash of Kings pt 2 in March and I'll be using whatever the list above ends up being. The army is distinctly not suited for the scenarios in the tournament but I'll hit and hope! I'm particularly concerned by Control!, in which I got absolutely mullered during Clash of Kings proper. I'm thinking my only hope is to treat it as a Kill! scenario and go for a tabling.

Unbloodeds can't swap to 2h weapons?