1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2000pts vs Empire, some fun with 50TG Mega Horde

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by JamJar, Feb 4, 2015.

1. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

So I finally got the chance to have a game and wanted to try something.

Right, so the Solardon gives +1 Initiative – so augmented with Timewarp from Lore of Light TG guard have I3 matching Empire’s standard I3 and giving me re-rolled failed hits (hehe).

We were playing with the original 8th ed magic rather than Khaine rules.

My list (2000pts):
    Slann (Light): BSB, skaven banner, eldritch energy, soul of stone, becalming cogitation, harmonic convergence, obsidian amulet, earthing rod, iron curse icon

Skink Priest (heavens): dispel scroll

30 Cohorts: 1 Krox, standard, musician

14 javelin skirmishers

13 javelin skirmishers

13 javelin skirmishers

50 TG: standard

Solardon

Empire list (going off memory, apologies for missing small details)

General: Sword of Might, ?+, ?++

BSB: MR(2)

Lvl 4 Battle Wizard (Life): 4++

Warrior Priest: GW

35 Swordsmen: 10 Handgunner detachments

38ish Halberdiers: 10 Handgunner detachments

10 Archers

10 Archers

Great Cannon

Stankystank

What no Hellblasters?! Alright sweet as :D

Slann rolled: Pha’s Protection, The Net, Banishment, Timewarp -> I’ll keep ‘em
    Skink rolled: Wind blast

Battle Wizard Rolled: Flesh to Stone, Throne of Vines, Shield of Thorns, and Regrowth (phew, dwellers could have been nasty for 50 TG)

Deployment my left to right:

13 Skirmishers, Skink Priest, Solardon behind building covering from Cannon, 15 wide TG with Slann, Skrox, 14 Skirmishers in Stupidity forest, 13 Skirmishers

10 Archers @ skirmishers, Handgunners @ TG, 6 wide Swordsmen, Stank @ TG, 6 Halberdiers @ Skrox, Handgunners @Stupid-Skirmishers, Archers @ Non-Stupid-Skirmishers

My plan was to get into combat ASAP to reduce any shooting against the so there was even less things to shoot, plus if I want an augment like this I want it on a big unit!

Bring it on!

Lizardmen Turn 1
    All Skirmishers move up to Archers and Handgunners. Skirmishers on right flank lose a skink due to moving into Wildwood. Skrox moved up towards the Stank to get those S7 hits in (3 anyway but whatever). Mega Horde didn’t move because I didn’t want the Stank to be stuck with 50TG while the rest of the army gets at least an extra turn to move away.

Slann cast Pha’s on Basty, but failed to roll for Timewarp on 4 dice

Shooting killed 3 Archers on the right flank, passed there panic test.

No Combat

Empire Turn 1
    Stank misfired and derped around. The Halberdiers moved to face the Skrox in case they charge the Stank. I could tell he did not want to get near the Mega Horde

Battle wizard failed to cast Throne of Vines

Cannon took a shot at the Mega Horde and blew up, Archers kill 2 skirmishers total

No Combat

Lizardmen Turn 2
    Skrox charge Halberdiers. Skink Priest moves right out towards Stank (in line of sight of Archers and Handgunners). Left-Skirmishers move right up to Archer unit. Mega Horde moves up towards Stank and Swordsmen. Skirmishers in Stupid forest become stupid just outside General’s range. Right-Skirmishers charge Archers, losing 1 skink to stand & shoot

IF’d Pha’s on Solardon, the Slann took a wound, failed to cast Timewarp on 6 dice

Shooting took out some more of both Archer units who don’t panic

In CC, Skinks dealt about 3 wounds to Halberdiers but took 5 wounds, Kroxigor dealt one more wound. Static combat, will continue next turn

Empire Turn 2
    Stank rams into Cohort’s flank. Swordsmen wheels forwards to stop any charge against the Stank from the Mega Horde

Empire rolled terrible for winds of magic. Battle Wizard attempted to cast Throne of vines but I didn’t let him, thankyou becalming cogitation

Archers killed Skink Priest – bye bye Scroll :( . No kills from other shooting

I can safely say the Stank won the combat due to impact hits before any blows were stuck. The Skrox did barely any wounds and lost the combat by a mile; they turned and fled through the Stupid-Skinks and into the Wildwood towards the right edge of the board. Halberdiers restrain pursue and turn to Mega Horde. Static combat between Archers and Skirmishers

Lizardmen Turn 3
    Mega Horde charged into Swordsmen. Skrox failed to rally and ran further towards the right board edge. Basty kept nice and close behind the Mega Horde. Stupid Skirmishers no longer Stupid and move forwards right out of the forest

2 dice total for power dice – wonderful :rolleyes: . Decided to cast Pha’s on the big unit, got it off

Shooting from left-Skirmishers Panicked Archers who ran

Right-Skirmishers lost CC and fled, but killed by the Archers. The Empire General killed 1 TG, the rest of the unit killed 2 TG. Mega Horde killed 12 Swordsmen and wounded the Battle Wizard. The Swordsmen still had 3 extra ranks after the first and claimed steadfast.

Empire Turn 3
    Halberdiers charge Mega Horde in the flank. Swordsmen’s Hand Gunners also charge Mega Horde. Archers fail to rally and run off the board. Steam Tank moved away from centre of board towards the rear right corner to turn around, it was close to being very stuck between his units

Winds of magic were still being stubborn with us. Empire manages to successfully cast Flesh to Stone, I failed to dispel it. Warrior Priest casts his 5++ battle spell on Swordsmen

Shooting does nothing

Together the combat does 5 wounds to the Mega Horde, but the TG deal out 18ish wounds back :D . The Swordsmen just couldn’t claim steadfast and fled with Handgunners from combat. Mega Horde reforms to become 7 wide and face Halberdiers.

---Empire claims defeat---

His units with 4 fully kitted out characters fled from combat needing double 1’s in the next turn. His Stank still out of combat

LIZARDMEN VICTORY!!!

I’m glad I got to see how that when down, but I’m disappointed I couldn’t cast Timewarp, I probably could have charged in earlier and smashed right through combat. I’m glad his Stank hadn’t moved up first and stopped my Mega Horde; my guys would have taken some damage. I think the Empire’s bad luck started with the Stank not moving and cannon blowing up (despite my Basty not really doing anything anyway). His magic might have not been the best for this – even though no one expects 50TG in one unit. Shadow is his choice Lore against me as he can take advantage of my Initiative or wither me down, that had me worried. Life just didn’t seem to work for this, but maybe with Flesh to Stone with Throne of Vine I might have had some difficulties.

With 50 Temple Guard it’s sort scary for me placing them on the board seeing as they a little more expensive than the other infantry and vulnerable to things like a Hellblaster or two, a Great Cannon on the flank, templates or magic like Flame Cage, Final Transmutation, Dwellers, Withering or Pit of Shades. Another problem would have been uselessness – if they didn't get into combat (maybe if the Stank had stalled them for a turn or two) then I would have been wasting points.

All in all I didn't think there was too much else that was a major threat for the Temple Guard, I might try this list again to see how it pans out. Next time I'll get Forbidden Rod just in case magic is like this battle was. Also Beasts might be better for getting Wyssan's if I come across tought units or am weakened.

A fun and interesting battle, has anyone else tried a unit with a large frontage?

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Nice report. You had a lot of luck with early misfires. In the Empire player's shoes I would have shoehorned the STANK into the TG where a relative lack of frontage in base to base would have meant the STANK could survive a long time with a bit of Lifebloom. Then the rest of your army would have been pretty vulnerable.

As a part time Empire player, I can say his army was fairly low on cheese, but I guess your army was too.

I did it with Saurus Warriors. Course it was against an Orc and Goblin player that I knew liked to horde Orcs, so I was fairly confident I could use the full frontage. Apart from the Orc on Saurus fun, usually when I horde a unit, it causes problems. I have enough problems avoiding having my units get in each other's way with regular frontage.