1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2500 points versus Orcs and Goblins

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Scalenex, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I played a game against a friend of mine that I’ve played often. This was his first game playing Orcs and Goblins and my first game playing the new LM book. It was a fun battle but we forgot a lot of Orc and Goblin buffs. By themselves they did little, but combined it may have added up. Those kind of things are hard to avoid in a first time with a new army book. I forgot to apply my Bastiladons tail attack and thunderstomps but it was STILL a very valuable unit.

My Harmonic Convergence didn’t generate a lot of power dice but it consistently gave me dispel dice, so the greenskins got few spells off despite having three wizards.

Slann, Lore of High Magic, Focus of Mystery, Soul of Stone, Harmonic Convergence, Channeling Staff, BSB Standard of Discipline
    Scar Veteran, Cold One, Armor of Destiny, Halberd
    Skink Priest, L1 Lore of Beasts, Dispel Scroll

27 Saurus Warriors, HW + Shields, FC
    Skink Cohort, FC, 1 Kroxigor, Poisoned Attacks
    10 Skirmishers, Patrol Leader, Javelins and Shields
    10 Skirmishers, Blowpipes

22 Temple Guard, FC
    Bastiladon with Solar Engine
    3 Terradons with Fireleech Bolas
    6 Chameleon Skinks

Ancient Stegadon with Giant Blowpipes, Sharpened Horns, Unstoppable Stampede
    2 Razordons with 1 extra Handler
    1 Salamander with 1 extra Hander

L4 Goblin Great Shaman
    Orc Warboss on foot

Black Orc Big boss on foot with BSB
    L2 Orc Shaman
    L2 Goblin Shaman on a wolf
    Orc Big Boss on a boar
    60 Night Goblins with hand weapons and shields, FC 3 Fanatics and Netters
    30 Orc Boy Big Uns with two hand weapons and FC
    5 Wolf Riders
    10 Wolf Riders

3 Trolls
    20ish Black Orcs FC
    Orc Chariot

6 River Trolls
    Mangler Squig
    Goblin Doom Diver

Set Up

Terrain didn’t matter much. Only one of the terrain features did anything, a Mysterious Forest that turned out to be a Blood Forest.

Left to right I had my Razordons, my Javelin Skirmishers (and Skink Priest), then my Saurus Warriors (and Scar Veteran), then my Bastiladon, then Temple Guard (and Slann), than my Ancient Stegadon, my Skroxigor. Next were my Terradons in front of my Salamander and my blowpipe Skirmishers on the far right.

From my view left to right, the Doom diver was in the back corner with the smaller wolf unit in front of it. Then the smaller troll block with the Boar riding Big Boss to mitigate its Stupidity. Then the Black Orcs (with the Orc Shaman), Night Goblins (with the L4 Goblin Shaman, Orc Boys (with the BSB and Warboss), Chariot with Mangler Squig in front of it, River Trolls, then the larger Wolf unit (with the L2 Goblin Shaman).

My opponent had every Goblin spell save the Gift of the Spider-god. The Orc got Ere’ We Go and Brain Bursta. My Skink Priest took Wyssans but the only time I wanted to use it, my Saurus were sitting in a Blood Forest so the Skink never cast a spell though he caddied and vassaled.

I stuck my Chameleon Skinks in the upper right corner, the only space on his side of the table he left open. My Terradons and both Wolf units went pretty much straight forward with their Vanguards.

Orc and Goblin Turn 1

The problem with Orcs and Goblins is they often do things you don’t want them to. The Big Un’ block failed an Animosity check and it lost two members as the Black Orc Big Boss restored order. The Trolls failed their Stupidity roll despite having an Orc give them Ld 7. The Mangler Squig rolled a triple and died. I fought Mangler Squigs a lot in the past, but I’ve never seen them kill themselves in that manner before. The larger wolf block failed its Animosity check and didn’t move.

The smaller wolf pack marched in between my Razordons and Javelin Skirmishers. The Black Orcs, Orc Boys, Night Goblins, River Trolls, and Chariot all advanced.

He cast Vindictive Glare on my Sauri in the Blood Forest. Between the spell and the Blood forest I lost three or four of them. The rest of the magic phase was a wash.

The Goblin Doom Diver took a wound off my Ancient Stegadon.

LM Turn 1

The larger wolf pack that was frozen by Animosity last turn was conveniently pointing its flank at my Terradons, so I charged them. They fled. The Razordons and Skirmishers pincered the smaller wolf riders. I marched my Temple Guard, Saurus Warriors, and Bastiladon straight forward. My Ancient Steggy advanced without marching. My Skroxigor angled forward to try to provide a supporting charge. My Chameleon Skinks moved towards the now fleeing wolf pack. My blowpipe Skinks moved up as well.

I roasted a River Troll with the Beam of Chotec. The rest of my magic phase was dispelled or failed.

My Razordons and Javelin Skirmishers took out a pair of wolves from the little block. My Chameleon Skinks killed one of the wolves from the larger fleeing unit. My Giant Stegadon’s difficulty to hit was 7 so I hit nothing.

O&G Turn 2

The Troll unit with the Boar Boy failed its Stupidity test again. The fleeing wolf pack rallied and moved forward a little. The Night Goblins and Orc Boys hit my Saurus Warriors from the front and the Black Orcs hit the Left flank. The smaller wolf pack failed its march test and didn’t get enough distance to clear my units that were hemming it in. The Night Goblins released three Fanatics as they charged. Two bowled into my Saurus and killed four then bumped into each other on the other side and died. The third one didn’t roll far enough to get me and ended up right in the Night Goblin’s charge path killing itself and five rank and file Goblins.

I dispelled most of his magic phase, but he got off ‘Ere We Go with Irresistible Force and an inconsequential miscast. Unfortunately we mostly forgot to apply the spell’s effects.

The Doom Diver killed a Temple Guard or two and put another wound on my Ancient Stegadon.

My Scar Veteran issued a challenge which was accepted by the Black Orc unit champion (the Warboss was a coward!). My Scar Veteran killed him with an overkill before the Cold One could strike. I knew I was going to lose the fight so I put maximum attacks into the Night Goblins to get as much CR as I could. I lost quite a few Sauri but I took out about four Goblins and four Orcs. Between good saves and good PF rolls, I didn’t lose too badly, and I was in range of the Slann and thus held. We forgot about the Night Goblin Netters. That might have changed the outcome of this fight.

LM Turn 2

My Temple Guard and Bastiladon charged the flank of the Orc Boys that were fighting my Saurus Warriors. My Ancient Stegadon, Skroxigor, and Salamander all charged the River Trolls. The Ancient Stegadon made it but the Salamander did not which blocked my Skroxigor from reaching the Trolls. My Razordons charged the back of the smaller wolf group. The wolf riders didn’t want to fight that fight but were backed against the table edge and couldn’t flee. My Javelin Skirmishers moved up towards the Trolls while my Blowpipe Skirmishers moved up around some of my units to try to reach the center. My Terradons did likewise. My Chameleon Skinks advanced towards the rallied wolf riders.

I didn’t get a lot of power dice. I cast Soul Quench and took a wound or two off the trolls that kept failing their Stupidity rolls. I swapped Soul Quench out for a Life spell. I rolled Flesh to Stone but decided to take Earthblood instead. The rest of my spells were dispelled or failed.

I took some pot shots at the trio of Trolls with my javelin Skinks. I took out a wolf or two from the big unit with my Chameleons.

My Razordons wiped out the wolf riders before they could hit back. My Ancient Stegadon killed a Troll plus some change and took a wound or two itself. The Steggy won combat and ran down the trolls.

Those combats were chump change. About half of both of our whole armies was in the other close combat. My Scar Veteran declared another challenge. This one was met by the Orc Shaman. The Scar Veteran rolled well for PF and got an overkill. I made a mental note to take the Warrior Bane sword whenever I play against Lizardmen. The Warboss used a 5 point magic item to neuter my Bastiladon. It was now basically a glorified caddy for the Solar Engine and little else. My Saurus Warriors were taken down to the first row alone. Thanks to the Solar Engine my Saurus Warriors got to deal a lot of hits before they died though and the flanking Temple Guard let me kill quite a few orcs. Thus I won combat though no one broke.

O&G Turn 3

The Orc Boar Chariot joined the fun of the grand melee by charging into my Temple Guard. The surviving wolf riders advanced a bit.

Magic phase was a wash more or less.

The Doom Diver wounded my Salamander and killed a handler.

I wounded the chariot once or twice, killed some Orcs and Goblins and lost some Saurus and Temple Guard. My Scar Veteran declared another challenge which was this time met by the Goblin shaman. I killed it dead and this time the Cold One get to get a lick in. When the dust settled my Saurus Warriors were down to the Standard Bearer and Champion. The Orc Boys lost Steadfast, broke and were run down by the impotent Bastiladon.

LM Turn 3

I decided there was no way for the blowpipe Skirmishers to get to the battle so I stopped moving them from this point onward. They settled down for a picnic to watch the distant battle. My Javelin Skirmishers and Bastiladon pointed towards the trolls. My Salamander and Terradons charged the larger block of wolf riders who fled for the second time.

I cast Aposthesis to heal a wound on my Ancient Stegadon. Then I swapped it out for Fireball since the trolls were one of the few remaining threats on the board. I could have taken Cascading Fire Cloak which would have been better in hindsight.

My Chameleon Skinks took some pot shots at the big wolf unit and my Javelin Skirmishers tried and failed to harm the trolls.

Close combat saw the Temple Guard killing the chariot and running down the Night Goblins. taking the unit out of combat. My Scar Veteran was left fighting the Black Orcs all by himself.

O&G Turn 4

The trolls charged my Bastiladon. The wolf riders failed to rally and kept running.

Magic was a wash, but I used up my Dispel Scroll

He hit my Ancient Stegadon with the Doom Diver again. If I hadn’t cast Apothesis last round the old Steggy would have died.

My brave Scar Veteran took a wound but killed multiple Black Orcs in return. Then repositioned so he wasn’t being flanked anymore. With only one attack in his profile, my Bastiladon couldn’t really fight back effectively before the trolls made him drown to death in burning vomit.

LM Turn 4

My Chameleon Skinks charged the already fleeing wolf riders and drove them off the table along with the goblin shaman in the group. The Temple Guard successfully charged the trolls making me wish I kept the Fire Cloak

I cast Fireball through my Skink Priest to put a wound on the Doom Diver then inflicted another wound on it with the Beam of Chotec. I moved my Razordons away from the bottom edge of the board to near the trolls and Doom Diver with Walk Between Worlds.

My javelin Skinks finished off the Doom Diver with a shooting volley.

Neither my Temple Guard or the Trolls did much damage but the Temple Guard won conmbat and chased off the trolls who rolled a spectacular flee.

O&G Turn 5

The fleeing troll unit rallied

LM Turn 5

I positioned my Javelin Skinks, Slann, and Razordon to all shoot at the trolls. It slipped my mind to move my Terradons into range despite the fact that I gave them fireleech bolas specifically for troll hunting.

Magic phase saw a shot a Fireball at the trolls and then cast Hand of Glory on my Razordons.

The Razordons and Skirmishers took out the last troll and the Orc Big Boy.

I lost my Saurus Warriors and Bastiladon and tabled the greenskins. This was my first massacre against my friend.

2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Gasp! It wasn't the Sword of Barrenness, was it? :jawdrop: