1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 3000 POINTS VS CHAOS DEMONS

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Baggies, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Baggies
    Cold One

Baggies Member

Hey guys,
    I have an upcoming "fun" battle against my brother in his GW shop, we have decided on 3000 points and he will be using chaos demons, the only experience i have of battling these disgusting creatures is with my Orcs and Goblins, i got well an truly beaten. My plan in that battle was just put as many fanatics and mangler squibs as pos, it didn't work ha! does anybody have any good tips, unit recommendations or tactics for me, i need to beat him in his own shop. Is magic good against them ( i could field two slanns) or shall i go with a slain and an oldblood on carno? looking forward to the replies.

Ian Clarke

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Do you know what sort of chaos army he will be bringing, is it themed after a specific god or anything like that ?

3. Baggies
    Cold One

Baggies Member

I'm pretty sure its throne/nurgle he has lots of bloodletters a massive soul grinder some stupid cannon thats amazing oh and the new skaven model which is a grey seer on a rat ogre badass model

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

... Since when are Skaven in the Daemons of chaos army. :jawdrop:

5. Baggies
    Cold One

Baggies Member

new end times rules apparently, he works in the shop so i trust him, i get to use 4d6 for end times so thats good.

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I haven't read Thanquol much and I haven't read the fifth book (is it even out yet?) but I haven't heard that before.

Anyway if you are using full End Times magic rules, take a Slann with Focus of Mystery Soul of Stone and a large Temple Guard block. Read this and you should be able to magic him into oblivion.

If you are doing some kind of local house rule thing that lets him use the Skaven and just uses 4d6 power dice without the extra ET rules, it becomes a little iffier. I don't have a whole lot experience playing Daemons and my Daemon opponent is very Tzeentch focused (I am told that is not common).

I would just say take the Lore of Light. It gives you protection against artillery and WS to hit Nurlge and Khorne daemons and you can burn daemons well.

7. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

lore of light, engine of the gods works well against deamons. against nurgles take some flaming stuff. sallies, solarodons

8. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

Two Words:
    Kroak Nuke

9. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Also dont underestimate the -1 to hit nurgle, as we have pretty poor WS anyway, so I like to take lots of stegadons for the impact hits and thunderstomp for plague bearers, and yes I definately agree with flaming attacks too.

In my experience I tend to out magic daemons pretty easily without even trying.

10. Baggies
    Cold One

Baggies Member

In the end times rule, i believe any wizard is a lore master if he knows just one spell of the lore, doesn't the slann have something that means he knows every signature spell? Therefore due to this rule the slann knows every spell from every lore in the rule book, this is what my brother says who works for them.

11. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

Yes, they know every spell if they know 1 spell from a certain lore. But if u are a "loremaster" you get to reroll failed casts with is veery nice. if im not mistaken.
    Then u can also swap spells away -> for example get the whole Light lore instantly.

Last time I player vs Daemons I mopped the floor with 2 slanns (Loremaster of High SLann & Light-Slann). Shemms burning gaze and str 5 Banishment sniped his lvl 4 Daemon caster on turn 2 which gave me the magic dominance for the rest of the game, and just killed everything. I also has Big TG group with flaming banner and the Frenzybanner on SlannBSB, big Saurus bunch to house the other Slann and a bunch of skinks to redirect (to buy time for more casting madness). We were playing with the ordinary rules regarding magic however.

12. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

End Times: Archaon - the "Grand Legion of the Everchosen" is Legions of Chaos + Skaven.

Echoing the comments of others, a Light Slann is your friend here - whilst as a Lore Light is extremely cohesive with our army, the anti-Daemon lore attribute will come mighty handily. I'd suggest an EotG also - you'll need a Stegadon to help manage his more powerful units, whilst the Burning Alignment will help wipe smaller Daemons. Even if he Dispels it, you should never be using more than one die on powering it up anyway, so you should just be making him waste his dispel die.