1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 3D printing stuff

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Canas, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I vaguely remember there being someone on here who designed and made some of their own models using a 3D printer. Since lately I've been running into a handfull of models that aren't sold seperatly like the skaven warpfire thrower and I rather like some of these I've been wondering if I could make them myself.

Now since I'm considerably better at drawing than at molding I suspect that I'l have more succes drawing models and printing them using a 3D printer than I'd be trying to sculpt it myself with some modelling clay. But I can't remember who did this so I don't know who to ask or advice on the subject. So uhm, help? :p

Ritual likes this.
  2. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Do you have easy access to a 3d printer?

(No idea about the actual answer to your question, sorry)

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Nope but I make more money than I can spend despite my best efforts, so I'm considering buying one :p

Anyways, what I'd like to know would be

• What's are decent to good printers for this and what's their prize range? (what I can find ranges from 300-7000 euro for "home" printers).
    • What's a good "inkt" (if this is even a choice with a given printer)
    • What's a good tool for making 3D models which you an then print, and does it have some tutorials to start fiddling with.

Jorgik and Ritual like this.
  4. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

Mark Sinosich Active Member

I made some 3d movement trays... Not quite what you were asking. :)

Ritual likes this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Well it's a start, how did you make em and what did you use?

Ritual likes this.
  6. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

Modelled in tinkercad. Need to find links for you. Friend is going to make them with his 3d printer at work.

Ritual likes this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I made a head of a thing. This might actually be easier than expected.

Attached Files:

Ritual and tom ndege like this.
  8. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

9. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

A few notes about those trays I designed above:

- The holes to place models are 1mm larger in diameter than the base size so the base can slot in easy and not need to be crammed in.
    - The edges of the holes are as thin as possible, without falling apart, so models can be as close as possible to each other and in combat, 2nd rank models with 1" range can still reach.
    - The concave parts around the outside fit a 25"" base in them as far as possible.

Ritual likes this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Your referring to @woogity and his colossus, he out sources the printing but he did the designs and I think he used Z brush and another program.

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/first-post-custom-model-kroxigor.15419/

He has a link in his Sig to his other threads pretty sure all the info you need is in there somewhere.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Ritual likes this.
  11. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I don´t know a lot about 3D printers, but I know that if you want them for model printing then you´ll need a really good one. I´ve seen a 800€ printer-kit (comes unassembled) printing and the final pieces are nowhere near the quality you want for models. You could perfectly tell apart the layers from some good 10 cm away. I´m just saying that if you want to print models you´ll have to get an expensive printer (a very expensive one), so maybe it is more profitable for you to just commission them to a 3D printing company. ;)

tom ndege likes this.
  12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

mm that's the one, I'l look into it.

Possibly, but I also know 3d printers have improved massivly over the past couple of years and decreased massivly in price. So they might have become affordable. Plus I'm not planning on making a profit of them anyway, not unless I get really good at it. I just want to be able to fill in certain gaps in my army reasonably easily plus it seems like fun. So they don't need to be super amazing, or all that cheap for that matter :p

Jorgik likes this.
  13. Ge32
    Troglodon

Ge32 Well-Known Member

14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

It's highly unlikely he will return :(

15. Ge32
    Troglodon

Ge32 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

tom ndege likes this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

He was working on the TW2 game and had a conflict of interests, the last email I had off him was nearly 2 years ago.

17. Ge32
    Troglodon

Ge32 Well-Known Member

Nobody thought of reproducing or cloning woogity figures, since they do not get any more?

18. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think most current, affordable 3D printers will struggle with the details of those (and the details are what make them great tbh).

I am in the process of looking for a 3D printer together with my brother, but right now it seems that below 800€ there simply aren't many that can print details small enough for the models to not look completely out of place among official GW ones, and require a lot of work to smoothen them.
    They just have too many visible layer lines everywhere, especially the ones from filament printers (FDM).
    You can use a DLP printer to get much better details with less layer lines, but they stink like hell, and it seems that cleaning them is more work and handling the liquid resin isn't exactly comfortable either. I think you need to print a lot of stuff to make them worthwhile. The FDM printers are much better in that regard.

EDIT:
    For starters, if the printer doesn't support resolutions smaller than ~50 microns there will be quite a lot of visible layers and small details getting lost.
    The cheapest FDM printer I could find that can do 50 microns resolution is around 800€
    The really good ones start at a thousand bucks.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Crowsfoot likes this.