1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 500-2500pt Escalation league list. 1.5k List help needed.

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Drofnum, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Drofnum
    Cold One

Drofnum Well-Known Member

I'm joining a league at my local store that is starting at 500 pts then adding 500 points each month until we are at 2500 points. I was thinking of starting with this list at 500:

Leaders
    Saurus Sunblood (120)

Units
    Chameleon Skinks x 5 (120)
    Saurus Knights x 5 (120)
    - Lance
    - Seraphon Battleline

Saurus Knights x 5 (120)
    - Lance
    - Seraphon Battleline

Then going to this list at 1000:

Leaders
    Saurus Sunblood (120)
    Skink Starpriest (100)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)

Units
    Chameleon Skinks x 5 (120)
    Saurus Knights x 5 (120)
    - Lance
    - Seraphon Battleline

Saurus Knights x 5 (120)
    - Lance
    - Seraphon Battleline
    Saurus Knights x 5 (120)
    - Lance
    - Seraphon Battleline

Ripperdactyl Riders x 3 (140)

Battalions
    Firelance Starhost (60)

I would like to go to a Bloodclaw Starhost eventually, not sure if i would want to have to do with starhost with that many knights or not. Opinions on the lists here or what to take at 1500 and up?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Bowser likes this.
  2. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Personally I would skip knights until later. They hit pretty hard but when you have objective games you are going to have a lot of wounds and points sitting on objectives.

For starting, I would probably go shadows trike since it offers a higher model count and a good amount of overall map presence.

Just my thought though

I played a firelance starhost in my last game and was pretty impressed, luckily we rolled an objective games that I could move of objectives and still hold them. The knights of on enough pressure that forced opponent to be completely defensive so I ended up winning out.

Seraphage, Drofnum and Bowser like this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I like this build up to the bloodclaw, @m0gstar is right though, it is a lot of points and wounds for objectives, but I think that the knights will be fun and should provide a decent offense at 50 points. So I would go for it. Normally Ibqoukd go for guard, but I like your build better.

Drofnum likes this.
  4. Drofnum
    Cold One

Yeah objectives might be a pain. I wanted something a bit out of the norm though cause I know there are 2 other seraphon armies in the league.

I think the knights should be fun to play though. I've read that it's a good idea to basically charge them in one unit at a time,then retreating back as the next unit changes in. Does that work well?

Bowser likes this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

That's one of the best tactics for knights, as you will always get the charge bonus. Obviously you must play the situation, but if you can, charge retreat charge until you have gotten a whole lot of killing done!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Seraphage and Drofnum like this.
  6. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

Knights are definitely fun! They look intimidating :)

Does retreating and charging with another unit really net more wounds? In my game my firelance only rolled two 6s to wound netting in only two extra mortal wounds. A vast majority of my damage felt like it came from the cold ones with 3 attacks instead of two. I'll have to try that next time

Bowser likes this.
  7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You are likely to net a few more wounds, but it won't take away from the wounds you are already inflicting, as you will have a unit constantly in combat. It is situational though, obviously you wouldn't want to retreat if it just opens them up to being charged.

8. Drofnum
    Cold One

For 1500 I should be able to just drop in my Eternity warden and old one on Carno/Kroq gar. I need to see what the rules are regarding changing batallions since there are some in regards to replacing units, but i think it should be ok.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Drofnum
    Cold One

I just learned that they dont care about battlelines for this league, which really makes me want to build up to the thunderquake starhost. I cant see any way to reasonably do that though.

Bowser likes this.
  10. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

Careful running this at such low points. You will almost guaranteed lose out on any objective and will rely heavily on tabling your opponent.

That being said that this formation also really shines with a slaan which is another chunk of points. The wound healing in addition to the 4 dice eotg brings so much strength to the list.

Bowser likes this.
  11. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

I really liked it when I played it, but that was at 2k.

Personally I would start with balanced army and then add on models as you progress to get to the tgunderquake host. I just think it's a dangerous list to run under 2k points

Bowser likes this.
  12. Drofnum
    Cold One

Yeah its definitely a risk and i dont think i will do it. Problem is I cant swap units out just have to add on to what i have so a thunderquake host is most likely out of the picture. Just sticking with my original plan of firelance -> Bloodclaw and will add on from there.

Bowser likes this.
  13. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

Probably a much safer bet. I was taking a quick look at the points requirements for the Thunderquake:

60 salamander (1)
    40 handlers (3)
    260 steg (1)
    260 steg (1)
    240 EoTG (1)

You are already looking at 860 points minimum (Assuming you dont run troglodon over EoTG) before the points cost of the battalion. After battalion you are at 980

Add a Slann onto that and you are another 260 down for a total of 1240 points. And you are still at 8 models on the table :(

Sticking to your original plan will yield a strong list with a lot more wiggle room. Bastiladons etc still roll face outside of a starhost, so they are always easy to add in once you are ready to add some behemoths.

Bowser likes this.
  14. Drofnum
    Cold One

I tried this against my friends ironjawz army and got destroyed! Not sure if it was just poor play on my part or if he had a good counter for my army or what. Slightly disappointed with it for now but I'll see how it performs in our league play.

15. Drofnum
    Cold One

Now that i have a little more time to type I'm going to expand on the previous post.

The list i was going against was this:

Megaboss on foot
    5x brutes
    10x 'Ardboys

He got the first turn both games we played cause he had less units to place and wont the roll to place first. The first game my placement wasnt great and he ended up getting a first turn charge on both of my units of knights. One unit was charged by the megaboss and he killed 4 of them before they could do anything. Second group got charged by his ardboys and they survived for a couple rounds, killing a few of the ardboys with support from my sunblood. I used the skinks to try and harass his brutes to no effect(his rolls in this game were great while mine were awful). I tried to retreat a unit of knights to cap some victory points but they only survived a couple rounds before the megaboss and ardboys got to them and it was game over.

The second game I set up as far from his brutes and megaboss as possible in some terrain. I ended up getting a group of knights charged by his ardboys first turn, they only lost 1 unit i believe in that combat killing 1-2 of his boys. Because of terrain i couldnt get my knights or sunblood in to that fight and he got to go first again on the second round, surrounding my sunblood with the brutes and megaboss. Sunblood survived that round and i made the mistake of charging my remaining group of knights in to his brutes, killed two of them and they then got wiped off the board along with the sunblood. At this point I had 2 knights left and my skinks and we just called it a game as he had lost 4 ardboys and we had a soccer game to get to.

I know my play wasnt great in either game but i cant help but feel that list is just better than mine or counters mine well. The brutes were hitting and wounding on 2+ with the megaboss near them and tossing out a ton of damage and the megaboss himself is definitely no slouch especially when sipping battle brew. I'm hoping that against another army things might go a bit better for me.

Bowser likes this.
  16. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

This looks like a fun list, but it really relies on luck with needing to hit 6s to do the mortal wounds. You really need to strike first, hit the enemy before they hit you.

In building towards a Bloodclaw Starhost, remember that you can field one at 1000 pts. My version looks like this:

Oldblood
    Sunblood
    Scar Vet on Cold One
    Scar Vet on Carnosaur
    10 Saurus Warriors
    10 Saurus Warriors
    10 Saurus Warriors
    Bloodclaw Starhost

You can probably do something similar with knights in the place of warriors.

Bowser likes this.
  17. Drofnum
    Cold One

I'm basically stuck with the knights at this point, at least 2 units of them as i already turned my list in for the league. I may change it up at 1000 depending on how things go but i'll make the best of what i have for now!

Bowser likes this.
  18. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I think this works well with so few points. You'll have troops with some mobility, nice combat prowess, and the chama will offer some decent shooting and a great ability to take distant objectives.

Bowser likes this.
  19. Drofnum
    Cold One

So, I won my first game. Not very convincingly but I cant complain much, I'm now going against my buddies Ironjaws(Same army I played last round and every single week. arrrrrgh) Here are the lists i'm taking at 1k, 1.5k and 2k. Any opinions/critiques are welcome! I'm split on taking the guard over warriors and vice versa, I like the survivability of guard but more warrior for objectives would be nice as well.

Ignore the weapon options as none of them are right. Knights have lances.

2000 points

Leaders
    Saurus Sunblood (120)
    Skink Starpriest (100)
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (320)

Battleline
    10 x Saurus Knights (240)
    - Blades
    - Seraphon Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    - Seraphon Battleline

Units
    10 x Chameleon Skinks (240)
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (300)

Battalions
    Bloodclaw Starhost (100)
    Shadowstrike Starhost (120)

Total: 1980/2000

1500 points

Leaders
    Saurus Sunblood (120)
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (320)

Battleline
    - Blades
    - Seraphon Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    - Seraphon Battleline

Units
    5 x Chameleon Skinks (120)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (300)

Battalions
    Bloodclaw Starhost (100)

Total: 1500/2000

1000 Points

Leaders
    Saurus Sunblood (120)

Battleline
    - Blades
    - Seraphon Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    - Seraphon Battleline

Units
    5 x Chameleon Skinks (120)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (300)

Total: 980/2000

Bowser likes this.
  20. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

1k list will have a tough time beating the Ironjawz. 1.5 I think will be close. 2k is a great list, lots you can do, just don't over extend your troops. Focus and pick off the right targets.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017