1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The April Poetry Contest has opened for voting! For more information, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial A Guide to Seraphon Battalions

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Killer Angel, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Killer Angel
    Skar-Veteran

Killer Angel Well-Known Member

STARBEAST CONSTELLATION

This is the last battalion of our battletome, and it's a compendium of all the other 5 "main" starhost

UNITS REQUIRED:

1 Saurus Oldblood OR 1 Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
    1 Skink Starseer
    1 Sunclaw Starhost
    1 Eternal Starhost
    1 Firelance Starhost
    1 Shadowstrike Starhost
    1 Thunderquake Starhost

Minimum size cost: 3570 pts (Starhost, Oldblood, Starseer, all 5 minimum costs of the 5 Starhosts)
    more realistic size cost: around 4800 (Starhost, Oldblood on carno, Starseer, realistic costs of the 5 Starhosts).

You can easily see the problem. In theory, the max size of an army, using the GHB2017, is 2750.

Points are for matched play, but in matched play you couldn't legally field the Starbeast Constellation. And if you want to pick a Slann, you are easily going to have a 5000 points army!

That said, I suppose there will be gaming groups that will play titanic clashes with 5000 pts, or that will use big scenarios as the Battleplan "the Temple of dead Gods", so we can do some considerations about it.

The Starhost gives:
    - you don't have to take battleshock tests
    - The saurus Oldblood and all the other heroes can use their command abilities, if they are within 20" from the Oldblood

HOW TO MAKE IT WORK

This is basically a full-fledged army, composed by our classic, main starhosts.
    Each Starhost got a role, and you can read about them in the relative posts.
    You will have a large block of basic infantry (the Sunclaw), elite infantry (Eternal), air support and scout / vanguard / snipers (shadowstrike), a core of behemoths that offer ranged shooting (Thunderquake) and some light cavalry (firelance).
    Give magic support with Slann, Starseer, skink stepriests and priests

The battleshock is kinda worthless, but it's still handy to have on your Group of 30-40 saurus, especially if they are not buffed.
    The use of the different command abilities it's nice too, to make the Constellation work with more power.
    You should count on:
    command ability of the Oldblood (that will buff all your heroes)
    command ability of the Sunblood (that will buff your sauri)
    command ability of the scarvet (that will buff your sauri, in a different way)

Basically, 2 additional abilities, which is nice but not exceptional, especially considering that you are playing a 5000 pts army.

EVALUATION:

Sorry, unless you request it, I'm not going to give one.
    This Battalion is not a Starhost, is a bunch of starhosts, and if it works, is thanks to the various abilities of the Starhosts combined (from this pov, it's almost a wasted opportunity to do something really good, to justify such a huge amount of models).
    I don't want even to think on how much complicated it would be to efficiently manoveur a so large army. Probably you cannot even use the 5 turns limit.
    You are going to miss a lot of opportunities and you will have problems in covering the needs of the various units with just a bunch of casters (if you use the Rule of One), but on paper it should work great... but not thanks to the Constellation, that should be the excuse to play all the classic Starhosts, but IMO gives too little incentives to effectively do it.
    In a single sentence: nice idea, but poorly supported.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Paul Beenis
    Saurus

Paul Beenis Active Member

I would almost leave it at that... Will be about 0.01% of players that actually use this.. Waste of a battalion really when we could have had something decent in its place but what can you do haha. I'm much more interested personally in your take on bloodclaw, Heavenswatch, fangs of sotek and Dracothians tail!

Killer Angel and Seraphage like this.
  3. Saminator
    Saurus

Saminator Member

Hoe can a slam teleport units?

4. Aginor
    Skar-Veteran

Aginor Well-Known Member

No clue how it works lore wise but in the game it just works similar to summoning.

...actually the trait that allows the second teleport is called Great Rememberer so that really points to something like the summoning. They just change reality in some way by will power.

Saminator and Crowsfoot like this.
  5. Canas
    Troglodon

Canas Well-Known Member

lore-wise 99% of our army is essentially figments of the slanns imagination made corporeal with their vast magical powers. They can just imagine the warriors moved, or just stop imagining them in spot and imagine them standing over there now. The handfull of units that aren't figments of imagination (basicly the slann and the sunbloods I think) are simply teleported in the same way the slann go from battlefield to battlefield I'd assume.

As for the starbeast constallation:

- No battleshock tests is borderline useless. We have the highest possible bravery and most of our units are relativly small. There's only 3 units that will regularly be fielded in large enough units to be suspectible to battleshock: saurus warriors, skinks & saurus guard. Out of which only the skink are squishy enough to regularly lose 5+ models in a single turn... Unless we're facing someone that's somehow forcing battleshock this seems fairly underwhelming.

- Command ability: decent, except we don't actually have that many (good) command abilities in this setup. Only the sunblood & scar-veteran have actual command abilities if I remember correctly. You could make one of the other heroes the general to get an additional one. But it's still not all that impressive imho.

Overal a tad underwhelming given the requirements...

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Aginor
    Skar-Veteran

Aginor Well-Known Member

Didn't they say that it isn't quite clear if summoning is really imagining them on the spot or calling them from somewhere they actually live down to the battlefield, or both? I think someone asked the lore team on Facebook and they gave an answer that was implying both could be the case.

Either way, Slann can control space and time by magic, and that's how it works. :D

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Canas
    Troglodon

Canas Well-Known Member

Thought our book said that the slann were the only survivors alongside the sunbloods (which were survivors that evolved into something new).

But yea, either way "stupidly powerfull magic users" is the anwser :p

8. Crowsfoot
    OldBlood

Crowsfoot Well-Known Member

But you still wanna build it don't ya?

9. Canas
    Troglodon

Canas Well-Known Member

sssh, don't let my girlfriend hear, she already thinks I have enough dinosaurs ;)

10. Aginor
    Skar-Veteran

Aginor Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as enough dinosaurs! :D

11. Crowsfoot
    OldBlood

Crowsfoot Well-Known Member

Wait until you can field it (which I can with spares) and your still looking at getting more :D

Canas and Aginor like this.
  12. Canas
    Troglodon

Canas Well-Known Member

that's what I keep telling her but she just won't listen to reasonable arguments!

13. Stormscales
    Saurus

Stormscales Member

Yeah, honestly, as Canas said, I don't see much point in the Starbeast Constellation. It's a shame, because it would look spectacular. I also think they should have made a Slann mandatory instead of a Starseer; not for tactical reasons, but it makes sense fluff-wise that such an army would be led by a Slann.

The number of battleline units, heroes, etc. can easily be expanded for larger games. Only the most anal player would say: "But the book says you can't have 5,000-pt matched play army..."

Granted, I wouldn't play 5,000 points just for the chance to use a Constellation. Not worth it.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Skar-Veteran

Killer Angel Well-Known Member

Well, I've finished the evaluation nonetheless. ;)

Paul Beenis and Crowsfoot like this.