1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Mediocre Stegadon

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Iskander, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

I'm a mediocre painter, and I'm not looking for C&C, as I'm happy to stay that way :D

However! The Engine of the Gods / Stegadon kit is somewhere halfway between a Total Pain the What and a Genuine Joy to Paint. So, I wanted to share the results with you mostly-strangers! :p

Answers to anticipated possible questions: Yes, I left out the Throne. No, I don't like the Throne - I think it makes the already-busy kit way-too-busy. Yes, I put rhinestones on the Not-Stargate instead :) No, I didn't just assemble that Giant Bow / Blowpipes contraption for giggles. I added magnets so I can switch between Engine parts and the Bow at will.

Thank you everyone on the forums who has yammered about painting, assembling, and adding magnets over the last 19 months. Your influence and unwitting assistance is present here!

Enjoy!

WP_20160609_21_20_36_Pro cropped.jpg

(Oh, and I started painting the Skinks in May, so this project is disqualified from the Painting Competition. However! I have another project in progress for that. Hopefully I'll finish it soon!)

Warden, Bracnos, Crowsfoot and 2 others like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Looks good! Red and purple skinks on that blue Stegadon is a pretty good look!

Iskander likes this.
  3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Not a bad start, but the white bits could use some more love.

Iskander likes this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I agree. Great work, but I'd give the white areas some light washes.

Awesome job!

Iskander likes this.
  5. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I really like the colour convention, but I see some points to improve ;)
    First what @n810 said, the horns need some wash :). And also whenever you apply other washes (I see you did on the stegadon skin), apply them a bit more heavily. The ahas you have already applied only show if you look closely, bu on the table top I bet it looks like if you only applied a basecoat. Remember that miniature painting is about contrast between dark and light. If you apply a heavier wash the contrast will be stronger and your mini will show up more.
    Hope it helps :D

Bowser likes this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Looks great and nuff said ;)

7. eron12
    Saurus

eron12 Active Member

I think the gold areas look quite good and I like the color choices on the stegadon. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Iskander and Bowser like this.
  8. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

I like the colour you have choosen for the blades the blue looks more like crystal than the usual black obsidian

9. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

Thanks everyone. You guys are great ^_^

Is true. I may come back to them eventually. The other horn-looking-things in my army are all washed, and I wanted this to be different. For now I will pretend that the horns are freshly sharpened and the sheets freshly washed :turtle:

Thanks you and all the rest that said stuff like this! I felt pretty good about it before I posted it, but then I saw this transcendent form by @Fiona http://lustria-online.com/threads/dread-saurian.15361/page-2#post-161947 and I felt like such a charlatan, so I settled on being contentedly medicore :p

You know, those are actually the easiest part for me? I just slather those parts in Nuln Oil, and then dry brush with Gehenna's Gold. I know I'm taking shortcuts there, but I'm glad it works :D

Actually, for the blue gem-things, I used the new "Soulstone Blue" paint, that GW deliberately designed to look more like a gemstone. Two undercoats of silver + a thick dab of Soulstone Blue, and boom, shiny blue gemstone. I tried the red version on the eyes on the big-flagpole-things in the back (over gold undercoats, as recommended), and it didn't anywhere near as well. I'm not sure why yet. There's always more for me to learn :)

Bowser likes this.
  10. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Your gemstones on it are amazingly colour popping :D and I really like the grey for the skin like rock makes him look harder :)

11. Essmir
    Chameleon Skink

Essmir Well-Known Member

Wow I might have to buy some then it seems like a good shortcut.

SlanntaClause likes this.
  12. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

I should clarify that I meant the gems on the front-hood above the stegadon's head. The ones inside the big ring in back are rhinestones. But yes, for the ones up front it was a great shortcut ^_^

Bracnos, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  13. Stefblo
    Saurus

Stefblo Active Member

Intriguing color scheme ;) I must agree with others about painting guides for you.
    I also think, that some tufts on base would surely enliven the figure.

14. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

I thought the base looked like a barren wasteland but I agree it might need something to raise it a little and blend the eye easily into the model - I'd say small rocks and perhaps a skittering lizard or something but otherwise the cracked ground is something i really liked about this piece

15. Stefblo
    Saurus

Stefblo Active Member

16. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

That'd work really nicley :D

17. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Looks amazing to me! Your gold paint is perfect. I tend to gob it on too much and loose detail. Well done! More pictures!

Bowser likes this.