1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aaaand we're back!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Andhe, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

After taking a break for 16 years, I'm getting back into fantasy again. Starting with my favourite cold blooded friends!

Found this great site, and looking forward to spending some time here! I have just ordered the battalion box, and another box of saurus warriors - looking forward to getting some painting in!

As I have been away for so long, any recommendations as to what other units/characters I should look to include asap?

I'm looking to get a 1500 point army ready reasonably quickly, then will build upto 2500.

Thanks in advance, and what a great resource for all lizard-kind!

n810 likes this.
  2. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Welcome! :)

Heroes wise, get yourself a Skink Priest (need to get magic in there!) and a Saurus Hero. I'd say get a Saurus on a Cold One as they're good in a scrap and great for hunting war machines/enemy characters, however one on-foot means you can hide them in a unit and support your combat blocks.

I'd say get yourself three Salamanders also - we're weak with artillery do you'd want decent ranged support and they can be devastating against troop blocks.

After that I'd probably a Stegadon - easily our most useful Monster in the game (I have two!).

I'd build with the aim of getting a Slann also for pure magical dominance.

Andhe likes this.
  3. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

Thanks for the reply!

I love the skink priest model, so he will be coming next week :)
    Slann and stego are on my must have list already, as well as a carno... just because that model is amazing!

I hadn't looked at salamanders yet, so i'll add that to the list!

So far as my starting point, I'll have the following :

1x Saurus Oldblood
    1x Skink Priest
    36x Saurus Warriors
    12x Skinks
    10x Temple Guard
    8x Cold One Cavalry.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  4. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I am a lousy general, but I remember reading somewhere that 20 Temple Guard are OK as a Slann Bunker, but 10 is a trap.

And If they are running as a block of ten without Slann, their role would be awfully niche. ie being the worlds slowest chaff hunters, or holding up a low S / T horde for a turn or two but needing to make 3 unanswered wounds every turn in order to not face a break test and run away from combat resolution alone. If you want your TG to be a viable anvil, hammer or bunker on the battle field you will want more bodies.

I can't find a discussion thread to regarding ideal size for different TG roles, but it is worth noting that they can take a magic banner or a magic item on the champion in order to boost mobility or damage output.

Another thing to think about. If you are just going for skink magic (which is viable) having a Bastiladon (with Solar Engine) as your first big monster will give a reasonable passive initiative boost on your TG and CoR, and give you another magic spell to throw dice at. If you have one caster with one or two spells, your opponent knows what to throw their dispel dice at every time, or you might break concentration on the first throw, or they might die in round 2. Magic phase over. With the Basti, you have a third threat. Just don't charge him solo into combat and expect her to do the sort of damage a stegadon would do.

5. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

Thanks Bob!

Ideally I'll be leaning towards another 10x TG to run 20, with a Slann Priest when I get there :)
    Been doing a lot of reading tonight - so many changes since I last played!

6. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

And more changes are coming with a new rules release around the corner.

Without even touching the 9th edition rules rumour mill, the trend across the later 8th ed army book and model releases and particularly the End Times has been that GW wants you to buy huge monsters to anchor your army. Therefore, I think monsters you purchase now will remain viable in the next ruleset. But heck, there seems to be approx 0% likelihood that GW is ready to refresh the LM infantry and cavalry models which are getting older but still look pretty good (Cold Ones being an acquired taste, of course) so you could buy just about any unit in the range without too much fear of it being superseded in 2 months time.

Alternatively, buy some L-O dice which will never go out of style or lose their utility.

7. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Oho! Andhe, I just snooped and found out your occupation.

I happen to know that there is an unclaimed "musician" Slann avatar on page one of @n810 's
    does anybody else want a custom Avatar ? thread ("tactical flexibility"). Just reply to that thread if you want it awesomized for your personal use, or if you have specifications for any other custom avatar you want. He haz the skillz to pleeze (but not to correct spelling errors☺)

8. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

Yes.. I'm already looking at replacing their mounts with the Dark Elves versions..
    I have been a little hesitant the last couple of weeks to start this army, because of Sigmar coming out, but I love these units, and brings back some good nostalgia - plus I know worst case, the local people here will still follow 8th. So I should be okay.

Oh!! I'll check out the avatar, thanks for pointing me there :)

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

10. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

Thanks n810!

n810 likes this.
  11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

yay it worked. :D

- glad you like it.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think a couple of salamanders would be a good place to start and a couple of cowboys (Oldbloods/Scar-vets on cold ones). After that, it really comes down to what type of army style you wish to field.

... and a few more skinks couldn't hurt.

Andhe likes this.
  13. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

Thanks Nightbringer, been reading a little more (so much has changed since I last played any version of warhammer), can't wait for my new models to arrive and get painting.

It has been hard trying to decide what to do, with AoS around the corner, and not the foggiest about what exactly is going to happen there..

EDIT : I also checked out some of the terrain pieces you have been making - outstanding!

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I don't anyone has a clear picture of what AoS is going to bring. Best guesses and speculation reign supreme at this point. Not long to go now before concrete leaks start to appear.
    Thank you kindly! :)

15. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

It's nice someone is finally using the Kermit avatar. It's probably the nicest one N810 made that remained unclaimed, though I really like the realistic Skink too.

Anyway, if you haven't found it yet, I would check out the Tactica Index which is linked in my signature and full of goodies to help you get started on gameplay.

Let us know if you have any specific questions about tactics, fluff, Bob's helmet, rules, or anything else.

n810 likes this.
  16. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

Haha, its a great avatar.. I used to have the OOP slann, so reminds me of the good old days!
    Thanks for the welcome, having a good look around, (great site and lots of useful info). The first models for my new army should arrive tomorrow, much excite - have already planned out all my colours!

17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Ohhh... do tell. :)

18. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

Well I got a great bargain today... firstly my saurus warrior unit arrived. Then my brother found me an awesome second hand deal!

For the price of a battalion box i got the following :
    16x Saurus warriors
    24x Skinks
    1x BSB
    1x Old Blood
    2x Salamander Hunting pack
    1x Bastilidon
    1x Tetto'eko
    1x Rulebook
    1x Army book
    All the extra bits also, and the best part...
    Apart from the saurus unit, everything else is unpainted... just primed ready to go!!

So today is a day full of excitement, and much painting ahead :D

n810 likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is a stellar deal!!! Kudos to your brother.