1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aeschere's first lizards; Comparing colours

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Aeschere, May 12, 2009.

1. Aeschere
    Jungle Swarm

Aeschere New Member

Hello,

First of all, hello! I am normally playing Skaven, Dwarves or Warriors of Chaos but recently I became interested in the Lizardmen army. I played against a friend a few times and I like the look and feel of the army so I decided to pick up a box of Skinks (can't go wrong with those ;) ).

I am trying to decide for a colour scheme and started by painting one Skink with the GW colours. Pictures are below.
    I kinda like the scheme but I am also curious to see how yellow bodies + red scales work so I will paint another Skink in those colours and compare the two.

Here are the pictures of the first one. The diafragma of the camera was set wrong hence the blurness on some parts of the model.

DPP_0001-1.jpg
    DPP_0002-1.jpg
    DPP_0005.jpg

I am not to happy about the highlights (haven't done them that often) and the blowpipe but since it is only a test model I think I can get away with it.
    I also remember why I never use white primer, it sucks when you need to paint every part of the model even though that normally lays in the shadow.

I will add the other colour scheme when it is done.

2. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

That looks amazing. I wish I could paint like that and say it was only a test run. Can't wait to see the next one.

--DF2K

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah that looks very cool, it has a cold icy feel about it which is great. The only suggestion I would have is paint the thick bit at the front of his crest the same as the scales to make it stand out a bit more, it looks a touch flat. I like your highlighting though.

4. Scarloc
    Chameleon Skink

Scarloc New Member

It looks good but you missed the gold ornament on the crest. :p

5. Aeschere
    Jungle Swarm

Aeschere New Member

Yeah I got told before on another forum. Had no idea that was supposed to be metal, thought it was just a lump ;-).

Here are some pictures of my second (and hopefully last test model). Since I am lazy I just copy/paste it from another forum ;)
    ==========

I have just finished painting the second test skink. This time with a black undercoat and a greenish crest. A few things before the pictures:

- Although white undercoat is a bitch to cover up it forces you to paint every detail. Black undercoat is making me sloppy.
    - I missed a skin layer which kinda sucks but hopefully it won't show to much, they highlights might be a bit sharper then the previous model, now you know why.

I will go for a white undercoat, blue skin, and the greenish crest looks ok but I am feeling it is still missing something.

Here are some pictures, let me know what you think.

DPP_0001-2.jpg
    DPP_0002-2.jpg
    DPP_0003.jpg

I have to come up with something to do with the bases. Right now I have just painted them Graveyard earth because it looks slightly better then plain black or white.
    ============

6. Scarloc
    Chameleon Skink

Scarloc New Member

I love the green crest, Have you tried adding more color to the weapons? They currently show up as very dark and could add a lot to the model.

7. Aeschere
    Jungle Swarm

Aeschere New Member

You are right about the blowpipe. Right now it is just plain black. What do you suggest I do with it?
    The hand weapon is made of stone with a gold layer around it so that isn't as dark as it seems.

8. Scarloc
    Chameleon Skink

Scarloc New Member

I wanted to say a deep browny red at first but I think that may take away from the cool tones in the model itself. Then I was thinking bright but still neutral, maybe a yellow? I dont even know about a yellow as yellows and golds tend to clash.

I have not done my skinks yet as there are still ranks of saurus to paint so hopefully someone comes on with a good idea.

Maybe a bone color?

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I would just highlight the black of the blowpipe up from black through a few browns until you got a shade you liked. Make it wood, and wood can go anywhere from a scorched brown up to an almost bone/white.

Overall, the model looks fantastic, great work. I will give one tiny nitpicky crticism though, just because it is a test model. :p Change the eyes to slant vertically rather than being round, they look a bit too 'human' being round like that. Here is an example of what I mean:

http://lolkirk.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/eye-lizard.png (Pic is large so click the link to view)

10. slannFrogy
    Skink

slannFrogy New Member

well mine are painted yellow skin, red scales they are average but im slowly getting better but they look cool tho

11. Sart
    Saurus

Sart New Member

Base the Model and it will come together perfectly. It doesnt need anything else :)

I love the work mate very nice I must say tho I am getting very tired of seeing that Color Scheme :p

12. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

WOW! I only got 1 question, how did you make the scale?

13. Aeschere
    Jungle Swarm

Aeschere New Member

The scales are fairly easy to be honest.
    Almost everything can be found here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat1300301&pIndex=1&aId=11600012&start=2

Yup, it is just a GW painting scheme but I kinda like it.
    In the mean time I have started painting my Ogres and WoC again so it might take some time before there is a proper update again.

14. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Couldn't you show some of those too? like in lesser races :D

15. Aeschere
    Jungle Swarm

Aeschere New Member

hehe, I check http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php?topic=10931.0 for my ogre blog. Not very active but still.
    I haven't started a blog for my chaos yet but will do soon when I finish my units of warhounds.