1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Brush for beginners

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Nazqua, Nov 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I am looking to buy an airbrush for Christmas/birthday which are both coming up soon. I have never really used an airbrush but have seen the beautiful effects they can make. So I'm just wondering what kinds of airbrushes you guys have or would suggest for someone who is new to them, I'm most likely looking for one that is good for beginners and nothing crazy but is also durable and can last.

LizardWizard and bOdziO Wolf like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I have a Harder & Steenbeck "Infinity", but the very similar "Evolution" is cheaper and it does its job well for my buddy who has that one.
    H&S have a reputation for being good quality and more importantly for being especially easy to clean.
    I still struggle with it, but that's my fault.

I admit I don't have any experience with other brands though, except for one very cheap single action one that wasn't great at all.

LizardWizard, bOdziO Wolf and Nazqua like this.
  3. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Basically the funds you are able to spend deciding what to get, as with everything else in life, the cheapest solution will cause more headake than good.

Though with an airbrush, the compressor is perhaps more important than the brush. If you have a bad compressor, the results will be hard to achieve. I strongly recommend getting one that has an "air tank" it takes the air from (basically fill up the tank, and then stop while it is pressurized) and also has a "moisture filter" (basically prevent any water buildup from the compressor to flow out with the air).

In the event you are not able to afford that at the moment, I strongly recommend that you wait and save up instead of getting one without those options.

Please also read over these articles (written by someone that has a lot more experience than me with airbrushing :)
    http://www.airbrushguru.com/choosing-the-right-airbrush.html
    http://www.airbrushguru.com/choose-the-right-airsource.html

4. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

I second the idea of buying a quality airbrush for your first one. People will tell you not to spend a lot of money on your first one but I disgree. If you learn to clean it, you can buy a solid airbrush and it will last you for years, ultimately saving you money.

I have an Iwata HP-CS .3mm and it is perfect. It's a workhorse. The number one thing you need to know is how to clean it. The below is the best cleaning guide on the internet :)

(highly suggest getting those little dental cleaners. they are clutch)

The other biggest part to beginning airbrushing is to educate yourself. There are a ton of great resources online. I like the below for beginners:

Hope that helps! I took the plunge 2 years ago and I've learned a lot. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. Im not a master but I've probably worked through most of the issues you might face when you first start!

The Red Devil, bOdziO Wolf and Nazqua like this.
  5. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great info, both Joshua Horchler and Red devil,
    I will be sure to watch all those videos and read up some more. :):D

Joshua Horchler likes this.
  6. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Just out of interest What do you guys think about these? After a bit of research, I think I have found an airbrush or two along with some compressors I think could work well.

Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun / Gravity Feed
    OR
    Iwata Revolution CR Gravity Airbrush

Sparmax Arism compressor

7. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

My Iwata Eclipse is great. Works well and is easy to clean. The .35 needle is a good size for minis. you can do priming and detail work.

You probably cant go wrong with either one.

Nazqua likes this.
  8. elktros
    Jungle Swarm

elktros New Member

Hey maybe the message is late, but this message can help people get more information about the airbrush.

I have done so much research on airbrush and airbrush compressor which is the best for the first person like you. I agree with The Red Devil thread - the compressor is better.

What kind of things you need to look I will tell you simply First of all look at your requirement and once you decide if you need compressor you need to look at - 1) Capacity 2) Air Pressure 3) Noise 4) Reliability 5) Accessories, you can also check other parameters like what kind of features you are looking for and, is that matches with your requirement, etc. I suggest you check this for a complete guide along with product reviews pros and cons.

Hope this answer satisfies you.

Leona Lee.

Nazqua likes this.