1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS AoS Dread Saurian Rules

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by little-myth, Nov 11, 2015.

1. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

2. lastlostboy
    Saurus

lastlostboy Member

Nice.
    The healing is awesome.

n810 likes this.
  3. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

Finally!
    To be honest though, looking at his size, i was expecting higher damage and wounds. After all, he is like 3 times a carnosaur. I really wanted him but i'm not sure if it's worthvthe money.

So forgeworld will release new rules for their models as GW re-releases their armies?

JackwolfskinK likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I went to Warhammer world last month and they have one painted up, it is massive but stick a howdah on it and he could carry 20 skinks around!

5. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Been going through some models and so far, none have got the PDF links yet.
    I wonder if the creature can gain buffs from Command ability models, you have 'Seraphon' but the Dread Saurian has 'Celestial Seraphon' unless I misread it as two separate keywords. If it can gain those buffs, cast a few spells at it and it will be a tank.

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

It's definetly a "Celestial Seraphon"

7. lastlostboy
    Saurus

lastlostboy Member

Oh, come on, they've missed a comma. ;)

8. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

Yeah, they did :rolleyes:

9. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

Btw they should add it to seraphon in the app, afterall they have tamurkhan (or whatever) and the chaos dwarves :)

10. JackwolfskinK
    Saurus

JackwolfskinK Member

Just had a browse through the site, and have too noticed he's the only one with an update. I'm desperate for rules for the basilisk, bone grinder and merwyrm as well. Though I'm very pleased e has some rules as I'm after him for Christmas!
    I'd say that damage/wounds wise he's fine. He has a three up she so that's leagues ahead of most monsters, he has only four biting attacks yes but at an average of 3/4 damage each he's knocking out 12 damage. And when using those against monsters he's hitting a lot of the time as he hits on a three up and rerolls ones.
    He regens too so he's nice and bulky on 16 wounds, nothing much will stop him in one round and wil take a lot of damage after.

Ultimately km very happy with this and am now more keen than ever to get one :)

Bowser likes this.
  11. Kor-Lot-Ko
    Skink

Kor-Lot-Ko Member

This thing is awesome. Now, if only they'd make a thunder lizard...:rolleyes:

12. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

To play with this beauty we can't use a big army, let's be honest :3

13. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

I REALLY REALLY can't wait to use this guy in earnest - most comp pack will make him almost prohibitively expensive - but looking through his rules that should be expected.

at £140 I cannot afford to buy one, but I have a sufficiently good conversion to use instead :)

14. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Personally I'm looking at what a colossal Line-Breaker this guy it. That Rend combined with that Damage? Bugger me, this thing would chew through defensive lines. Especially when given some support. And his Devourer of Beasts rule seems okay at first, but looking at it proper really does make this guy an even better Monster Hunter than the Carnosaur, and the Carnosaur is the Monster Hunter of the game. And that save with that regeneration? Oh lord have mercy, a 2+ Save with a Mystic Shield and D3 healing is brutal, the only thing that can match that is the Bastiladon (and Archaon but that's unfair because he's bloody Archaon) and the Basi only has 8 Wounds and needs the Thunderquake Starhost and a Slann for the regen. This guy has double those wounds and needs nobody else.

JackwolfskinK likes this.
  15. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

Interestingly, I thought archeaon's rules made him more powerful than Nagash and both are significantly "harder" than a dreead saurian, but having read through the South Coast GT comp pack - Acheaon is listed at 40 pool choices. Nagash is listed at 60 pool choices. The dread saurian is listed at 32 choices. By comparism, 100 pool choices is your army limit and most units range between 5 and 15 pool choices. No reply necessary on this, just wanted to highlight what I thought was a strange comp level. But then I havent played with Nagash or Archeaon, so what do I know...

16. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Dread Saurian is my next major model goal. I know a few that have a Archaon and one has a Nagash.

17. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

I can't help but feel it's been too long since the 'dinosaur' race actually had a dinosaur that could actually do something other than die instantly - the carnosaur has been too fragile in recent versions of warhammer for such an apex predator.

18. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

You were right to think that's how strong those guys were in relation to one another. The reason why the points misrepresent the power is because comp points systems do not work! Seriously, I've got nothing against points but the people who write these systems show a worrying lack of understanding towards what makes models powerful. Kroak's the perfect example here as most comp systems list him as about twice as many points as the normal Slann despite the fact that unless you're playing a very specific army build, the Slann is much much more powerful than Kroak is. They focus on stats and the number of spells they can cast rather than their more intangible abilities which is often where the real power lies.
    In regards to that comp you mentioned there, aside from Wounds, Nagash has much higher stats than Archaon due to having more two weapons to Archaon's one (mounts notwithstanding) and Nagash just has far far more spells he can cast. To the mindset of comp systems, this makes him stronger. However it neglects to think about real game-changing abilities, such as Archaon's ability to kill you in one hit with Slayer of Kings, his ability to regenerate wounds, his ability to steal spells, etc. This is why my place uses the Wound Limit, it's not perfect but it avoids misrepresenting power levels like that.

Which Carnosaur are you using? Mine wrecks stuff up, especially monsters. Though it is much easier to take damage now.

19. Gorgerak
    Cold One

Gorgerak Active Member

- Maybe my dice just dont like my carnosaur but I've always found to be just too squishy, especially in old fantasy, 5 wounds and a 4+ save that more often than not was reduced to 6+ only ever seemed to result in a dead hunk of meat...

I'm inclined to agree here, but I don't own/moderate a comp and am kinda stuck with using them for the foreseeable future so I don't see this changing anytime soon. :(

I've got another thread going on summoning restrictions as I would really like to be able to present something to the guys who run the comp my club uses - but it needs to be good and well thought out so any help would be much appreciated.

20. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

There are two methods I found to make the Carnosaur a real monster. You could go with the Tankosaur, simply a Mystic Shield and Celestial Rites makes him a pretty tough customer, especially if you also give him a Curse of Fates to use for one of his saves. He'll take damage, but nothing more than he can absorb thanks to his high wounds.
    Or you can go full Monster Hunter. Having him sit safely behind your front line until he gets the chance to charge a monster, then having him attack first, pin the monster, and mess them up with those bites. Also good for a Curse of Fates and some rerolls from the Starseer, especially if you use a Starpriest for that double damage on bites that you roll a 6 To Wound for (and one 5 thanks to Curse of Fates.)
    Also Bloodroar is an amazing ability.