1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Army Fluff Ataxa the Great Accursed One

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by little-myth, Apr 27, 2015.

1. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Fluff is in rough draft, just getting this out the way for the moment.

Fluff:

Ataxa was once a Scar-Veteran leading his unit of troop into battle against Chaos; marked by Tzeentch. When the troops charged into combat against the Chosen; Ataxa readied himself to challenge the champion while the rest of the Saurus battles the rest.

During the challenge the champion landed his great weapon sharply onto Ataxa's shield, cutting into the hide. Ataxa roared out and tore is shield away, staring for a brief moment at his shield. He slipped the shield down is disgust, letting it fall to the ground. The champion readied another strike, slamming down with all force. Ataxa used his sword to defend against the blow, slowly being pushed down as the champion tries break through his defence, He tried to think as fast as he can. Looking around franticly in hopes his mind would come up with a tactic. He spots one of his fallen comrades swords, using his tail he scooped up the blade and quickly grabs it into one of his hands, causing him to take a hit from the great sword, he was lucky his armour and skin reduced some of blow. Ataxa straightened back up and roars out his battle cry, lunging with heavy force into the champion. He slashed against champions revealed neck with the two blades with ferocity.

During the battle the god, Tzeentch was watching carefully over the scener, snickering at how Saurus's reflexes are very sluggish. Then he took note on Ataxa; who was charging towards Chaos. Tzeentch couldn't help but to smile, what if he was to mess with this one Saurus's mind? Fill his mind with many thoughts and such? He knew well if the Saurus's learned to cope he would put Chaos at risk, but it was all too much to resist to see a more flexible Saurus ending up dying from trying to figure out what was going on. He made his final desicion and raised his hand up with a slight flick.

After a while since the battle against Chaos, Ataxa had to lead a group down to the ruined city to clear out some Skaven. On the way down, he had moments where he had to stop and look around for a bit, he felt strange thoughts lurking around, even for days he had to stop what he was doing and take a moment to collect his mind. When they reached the city they went around for a bit in hopes to find at least one Skaven to pound into the ground. When Ataxa strides out more into the open area, three Clanrats leaped out and latched onto him, he quickly reacted and threw them off. They hissed at him and scuttled closer. He readied his spear and warns them with a grunt. He suddenly lost it and bellows out, he felt anger grip him all the sudden in such a short burst. He snaps his spear into two with a quick flick of his wrists and slams the rats across the ground with brute force from the combo of his fists and broken spear ends. The troop soon piled in to fend off the Skaven but only to find Ataxa striding around, trying to let some of the tantrum out.

Ataxa soon found out that he has been cursed by Tzeentch, Skink Priests were not sure if this was a blessing or curse. He was been afflicted both in his thoughts and emotions, well what emotions he has got, making him either stop to gather his mind or react powerfully.

Ataxa spent many moons trying to master his curse but to only find that it cannot be fully controlled at will, he also started to wield an additional hand weapon as a reminder about his curse, both his blades a gift and his armour being he abandoned his shield. Also over the time his body developed blue markings to show the curse slowly gripping him. Ataxa still carries on leading his troops into many battles, sometimes dragging them inappropriately from his frenzied anger.

Ataxa the Great Accursed one- 215 points (Based on a Scar-Veteran)

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
    4 5 0 5 5 2 4 4 8

Equipment:

Magic Weapon (Dual Blades) Gives Ataxa +d3 attacks in combat instead of the usual +1 for having two weapons. In addition, Ataxa gains an additional attack from his Predatory Fighter rule on any successful To Hit rolls of 5 or 6.

Light Armour

Magic Armour. Give 5+ ward save.

Rules:

Cold-blooded, Predatory Fighter.

Scaly Skin (5+)

Blind Rage:
    When Ataxa generates attacks using his Predatory Fighter Special Rule, any missed rolls on to hit automatically hits a member of his own unit. These attacks are distributed as per shooting. Ataxa cannot hit himself with these attacks and if he is on his own, these attacks instead just miss.

(Will test this out to see how this works)

Curse rule:

At the start of each friendly movement phase, roll a D6 and consult the table to see the result, the effect from the table lasts until the next friendly movement phase.

1- Gains the Stupidity rule

2- Suffers a -D3 to Weapon skill

3-4 Gains the Frenzy rule

5- Gains the Always Strikes First rule

6- Gains the Killing Blow rule

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Duel wielding? Give him a hand weapon AND a spear. Then we will know he is accursed.

I think getting the shape of the fluff comes first and it guides the attributes and load out. After that comes the points cost discussion with the forum - you just light the fuse and stand back from the inevitable explosion of math-hammer.

3. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Hmm, I feel like Strength would be too much a reduction and Initiative too little (it's so low for LM we generally always attack last/fail such tests unless buffed anyway).

Perhaps WS or Movement? Both would be more 'annoying', having more of a tactical impact than Initiative but not as much as a de-buff as Strength?

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I agree, strength reduction is too much, while the initiative reduction is too little. I'd say go with WS, as a d3 reduction can be absolutely crippling for a M4 model.

5. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Thanks for the feedback, changed the -d3 to the weapon skill rather than initiative. I told my boyfriend that initiative won't matter much to a Saurus (helped me decided on roll 5), not sure if he was being too generous.

Seems fun to have him have a spear replacing one of his weapons, sadly his model has already been made. Can spears actually be taken as part of dual weapons? I still have lack of rule book... Only lists for magic items.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I don't recall ever seeing a character wield a spear as part of dual weapon setup. Additionally, the main rule book does not have any instances of a spear being used as a paired weapon. But since you're making a custom special character I don't see why you couldn't create such a setup if you so desired. Personally I would refrain from giving your character a spear, but only because I don't feel it makes much sense for a character on foot (other than if you like the aesthetics of it). A spear allows models on foot to fight in an additional rank, but since your character will be in the first rank, it serves no purpose rules-wise.

7. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Spear and hand weapon. It was a joke.
    <face palms>

n810 and Rettile like this.
  8. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

why not a pistol stolen from pirates and a stegadon giant blowpipe? But keep him BS0 ;)
    IMO the D6 strenght hit on a 2 wounded character is too bad. What about casual movement in a random direction? Also +1 attack on 5 is quite similar to frenzy: what about ASF on 5 and something really powerful on 6? Like killing blow or multiple wounds, for example.
    I'd change the character name though, but that's only personal taste (i know what it means, i just don't think it's a good name for a character expecially because according to the old fluff it means "plague" aswell and we know that plague means skaven: i don't think a lizard would even think to call a comrade "plague", expecially saurus. After all they know few words, they could misunderstand and kill their friend :D )

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It makes no sense from a real life tactical perspective, but in fantasy anything goes! ;)

10. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Will get around making changes to the table, made the model so I will be needed to take nice shots of him.
    Been discussing with my boyfriend about some fluff. The idea so far is Ataxa being curse by Tzeentch during a battle, still working on it though and it will take a while.

Slanputin likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I look forward to it! :)

12. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Easy! Change his name to "Ataxia" (do you know what THAT means, Smarty-tail) Give him ballistic skill negative 3, and the Collateral Damage and Falling Over Special Rules. You could actually make his instability useful by allowing him rerolls of everything.

I am already considering writing him into my fluff.

13. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Looks good, but I would give the magic weapons and I would give it some other bonus other than +D3 attacks.

First off paired weapons by definition give +1 Attack, so calling it a paired weapon would be potentially confusing. You can get the same thing with one weapon that "requires two hands." Also 3-5 on the chart essentially bestow extra attacks. I'd have the paired weapons bestow something beyond simple additional attacks. something not on the chart.

14. little-myth
    Carnasaur

n810 and Slanputin like this.
  15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Referring to the Bob/Joe (spear/hand-weapon) rivalry in the Spawning of Bob fluff.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

There we go... I was missing that!

17. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

But that was based on the spear/hand-weapon rivalry on Lustria-Online.

It's the whole "Bob Imitates Art" thing again.

n810 likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This is starting to feel like inception... there is always a deeper level. ;)

19. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

In the interest of not hijacking little-myth's thread too much more, I would like to start a discussion about Blessings and Curses over on
    Writers' Wretreat or Crytics' Crypt?

Regardless of that particular opinion-fest, I hope that Ataxa (sounds like a sneeze) develops into the optimal cur-blessed (also sounds like a sneeze) instrument of the Great Plan which his model clearly deserves.

@little-myth, please hurry up with the fluff! The suspense is killing me.

If you need a fluff kickstart for his back story, look up some old fluff background from @Sealterbloind and her own special character (with special rules) Itza Chaq Khanx -the Prophet of Destruction. We haven't heard enough from her end of Lustria for a couple months. You should check out her art on page one of her blog if you ever had doubts that girls can do anything.

20. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Fluff in a rough draft is now up and changes have been made to the curse table.