1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bases, Trays & Magnets

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by BAE, Sep 13, 2016.

1. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

I'm finally getting round to the point where I need to base my Kings of War army. Each of the miniatures is as provided, using the bases they came with (i.e. singular models on individual bases that are not magnetic in any way). I was hoping to glue their bases onto sheets to create troops of ten, which could then be placed two or four in a movement tray to provide regiments or a hordes as required. Some inclusion of magnets would also be ideal to ensure they stayed in the movement trays and for easier transport. However, I'm concerned that the required plastic / magnetic sheet etc. will become quite thick and the models will be high off the table.

The best solution I've been able to think of so far would be to glue troops of individuals to hard plastic sheets (such as the Mantic Games movement trays: http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/kings-of-war-essentials-/33126-kings-of-war-large-movement-tray-pack) and paint the underside of these sheets with Games Workshop 'ardcoat mixed with iron filings. Movement trays could then be lined with magnetic rubber sheet (http://e-magnetsuk.com/magnet_produ...ts/adhesive_backed_magnetic_rubber_sheet.aspx) to affix the troops into larger units. Carry cases / boxes etc. could also be covered in the magnetic rubber sheets.

Are there any solutions that might reduce the height of the additional sheets? My idea above is currently looking as though it will add about 4-5mm (not sure exactly as can't find the thickness of Mantic's trays anywhere). What is the thinnest plastic sheet that is still rigid? If not, would anybody know of any ways to make it simpler? Does a <2mm thick, rigid magnetic sheet exist (so I can stick the individual models directly to this and forego the plastic, 'arcoat and iron filings)?

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

For my Salamanders I have used 3mm Plastic sheet cut to size and then stuck my models including the base onto the sheet, I have also stuck models directly to the sheet.

Models that I had already based and finished were stuck onto the sheet and they look quite good, I will post a pic tonight if you want.

Link to the sheets

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREY-Plas...mm-Thk-/222235553185?var=&hash=item33be456da1

For my Goblin KOW army I am using base x of war movement trays as I already have them they just need modding a bit.

BAE likes this.
  3. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

My thought there though is that you either have to stick then into regiments / hordes (which I don't want to do to allow flexibility between different army lists), or have 4 troops which need to sit in a movement tray without being stuck down (which might fall out and be harder to transport).

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Are you using the minimum number of models allowed for each troop/regiment etc?

Fridge magnet sheeting works a treat or the best solution and my favorite is a movement tray made of mild steel painted matt black and magnets stuck into the bases of your models.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Rare earth magnets and a steel sheet is the Cadillac of movement trays,
    possibly paced in the bottom of your current movement tray.

6. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

No, I'm using the actual amount.

I'm trying to avoid magnets on / in each base is that it will be a huge amount of effort. The beauty of KoW is that I don't need to be able to remove individual models, so I can glue them into troop-sized units. I was hoping to be able to have troops as the smallest single thing to pick up.

I had to read that a couple of times but I'm still getting a bit confused - were you meaning 'Cadillac' to have positive connotations? Because at the moment it reads as though I should avoid rare earth magnets and steel sheeting like the plague because they are a cheap, poorly designed solution and my units won't be able to go round corners.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:p That's because the bases are square.
    Cadillac (more of a saying than an analogy these days)

Crowsfoot, NIGHTBRINGER and BAE like this.
  8. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm shocked it was ever an analogy.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Why use the actual amount? if you go to minimum +1 you can get extra troop units out of your existing model count and it gives you more scope for basing detail, I will post my Hunters tonight so you can see that they still look good.

10. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

If I was going to mess with the numbers I would have stuck them to a plastic sheet the size of troops. As is, if I started taking people out, the square bases of the rest would mean a bunch of suspiciously square holes. I'll definitely be doing this on the next army, but I don't have time to change my original plans for this one.

And anyway, I also have enough models!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

You never have Enough models!

12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

13. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

haha I did understand what was meant, I was just confused that an American car would ever have connotations of high quality!

Even my Mantic models have feet stuck directly to square bases (Salamanders).

14. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I would like to see pictures. (The only Mantic models I have seen were elves and goblins, round integral bases that fitted into round holes on a larger rectangular base and that could in turn drop into a move tray.)

Maybe if I search for "Mantic Salamanders".

n810 likes this.
  15. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

I know the bases you mean but the Salamanders aren't the same. They are models that you glue the feet directly to a square base.

16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Litko sells a product called flex-steel. They will cut it to order. I did manage to find pix of Mantic Salamanders.

Given your goals I would:
    • ...order flex steel stands 2x5 inches (50x125mm)
    • ...glue 10 plastic bases to each piece of steel.
    • ...line move trays with big solid sheets of flex magnet (magnet side up).

17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

I'm going to put two possibilities out there.

Shogun miniatures makes high quality mag bases and steel trays cut to order. He can also do wierd sizes by request. I can vouch for the quality as I have used them extensively.

http://shogunminiatures.com

Armada games makes a range of laser cut MDF bases. They are also of high quality. He also offers kings of war at 20% off.

https://shoparmada.com/collections/acc-bases

18. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

I solved the problem! Each unit model is glued to a sheet of plastic cut to the size of troops, with magnetic rubber on the underside of each troop. I then had steel sheet cut to the size of hordes / regiments etc. which either 2 or 4 troops then stick to. Each monster / hero has rubber steel sheet stuck to the underside. I then lined a tray I can carry the army around in with super strong rubber magnet sheet. The metal trays on the underside of units now have a brutally vice-like grip on the carrying tray (I need a tool to lever them off, so it may be a tad strong), but the steel rubber sheet attached to the underside of heros / monsters sticks to it just perfectly. It all worked rather better than I had expected!

Magnets.jpg

p.s. the Fire Drake (old Carnosaur) on there is entirely metal

pendrake, n810, NIGHTBRINGER and 2 others like this.
  19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Nice work ;)