1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Basti might be MUCH better than we thought

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by ILKAIN, Mar 10, 2020.

1. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

that... literally is saying the FAQ applies and then saying it doesn't because something has a different name... but both "names" are on the warscroll, and the FAQ says "warscrolls and allegiance abilities" lol your arguing against yourself at this point my friend.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

Blitzkriyg Well-Known Member

If you are any further than a first year, you should drop out and save your money. The faq won't clear up anything as there is nothing to clear up

3. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

No, you're either trolling at this point or can't wrap your head around basic mechanics

IggyStarhost likes this.
  4. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

not trolling and i assure you im incredibly intelligent. the mechanics being different doesn't matter because they are encompassed under the umbrella that is a warscroll and the FAQ specifically states "warscrolls and allegiance abilities" not "warscroll and allegiance abilities". that one letter difference makes a HUGE difference in the meaning of the phrase.

tbh its kinda crappy that you are calling me a troll just because you cant provide any empirical evidence to counter my evidence supported opinon.

5. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

I've explained to you multiple times how the mechanics work and why the warscroll doesn't overwrite anything. Do you have any empirical evidence of you being incredibly intelligent, because I don't know how to dumb it down any further, I've literally explained it using actual numbers and the save process.

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

guys... really. there is no need for this. wait 2 weeks and we will have an answer.

7. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

The thing is, we won't because there's nothing to clarify

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

guys... really. there is no need for this. wait 2 weeks and we will have an answer.

LizardWizard and ThePhilosopherX like this.
  9. DaBush
    Skink

DaBush Active Member

We won’t have an answer. Same as other previous war scrolls with a characteristic of 1+ never received one. It’s an interesting angle but wouldn’t be allowed in any tournament and why power game like this in casual play? We had an English major in our area telling everyone rotigus spell if he only picked one unit each deluge could be allocated to that single unit. Use your brain and logic and eventually you’ll come to the correct conclusion. Until then good luck.

Attached Files:

LizardWizard likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

imho, this is the best and only reason. Why bother with a 1+ if an unmodified 1+ flat out can't work. If you want to ignore rend 1 just put on a special rule saying "reduce all rend by 1" and give it a 2+ save.

what other scrolls have a base save of 1+?

Also, rotigus's spell is terribly phrased, and I can see where the english major is coming from. Even if it's very clearly not the intend of the writers.

11. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

My TO's said that warscroll override applies to abilities, CA and etc. But it appears, that bastiladon ignores rend unless it suffers 2 wounds. Since reroll 1's is easily applied, it is virtually invincible, if your opponent don't have enough mortal wounds. And you can field 4 of them.

I expect GW to nerf it anyway. But for two weeks basti is a good choice. Enjoy, while you can. I still think, that spamming skinks, saurus, terradons and salamanders would be superior.

ILKAIN and LizardWizard like this.
  12. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

None. The closest thing is Manticore, which is already mentioned, I suppose.

LizardWizard likes this.
  13. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

I think bastiladon are fine tbh, I had a hard time doing any real damage in the 2 games I played. The 3 shots from the steg consistently did more damage

LizardWizard likes this.
  14. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

View them as tanks/distraction. The enemy cannot ignore them, because they can tie anything, which doesn't deal MW. And with Trove of the Ancient Technology, Hand of Glory and Herald of the old ones their output should be equal to the old bastiladon with rerolls to-hit. They are good for their points. But, I think, there are better competitive choices.

LizardWizard likes this.
  15. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

That's actually the issue I had, they absolutely can ignore them. They are super slow and while it monsters only count as 1 model on objectives, they aren't going in and holding anything any time soon. It's pretty deceiving, seeing that 1+ save and 9 attacks from the laser looked like a huge buff, but I feel they can absolutely be ignored. I was looking at running 2-3, but after this post weekend, they'll be in the box

LizardWizard likes this.
  16. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Great discussion. Fun read.

Make sure we remember that there are people on the other end of the screens. There is no need to imply people are unintelligent or other name calling.

17. DaBush
    Skink

DaBush Active Member

After looking at the core rules and order of operations I take back my original statement and agree with you. Rules as written the bastilladon with its 1+ save characteristic can only fail on natural 1s

18. TheGreyScaledLizard
    Skink

TheGreyScaledLizard Member

Just found this that kinda helps point everything out in the rules. (Not sure if everyone has already seen it or not but thought it would be a good idea for it to be posted.)

[​IMG]

19. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

yeah its been resolved I was wrong. but its still good. the only way to hurt the basti at top tier is mortals or unmodified ones on the save roll. put mystic barrier on it and ram it into combat lol