1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Beginners first time painting Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Theo, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Theo
    Skink

Theo Member

Hey guys I wanted to share some pics of my lizardmens and hopefully get some nice tips how to improve as a painter! I am fairly new to painting, I used to play back like 10 years ago but I would hardly call what I was doing painting. Now I've decided to start the hobby again and am getting started on my Seraphon army :D!

This is my first ever Skink, its pretty inspired by the new battletome skinks but I really love the colour scheme! Hope you like it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warden, tom ndege, Bowser and 3 others like this.
  2. BeardyGecko
    Ripperdactil

BeardyGecko Well-Known Member

Hey @Theo that looks like a good start! I do like the colour scheme!

The blue areas look like you have made good use of drybrushing to achieve a gradient and the basing is better then mine (I never do it haha).

I would suggest that in other areas you need to thin your paints a little, the gold looks a little swamped and the white is very solid on his crest so maybe use a grey base colour and layer up to white to create some depth. All in all for a first attempt it's very good and the only way to get better is to keep trying.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Theo likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Very good first attempt and I echo what @BeardyGecko has said.

On the white start with Fenrisian grey as a base then mix 50/50 with white and paint again leaving some of the grey showing around the edge then take pure white and paint again leaving some of the mix layer showing.

He looks a little chalky at the moment that is due to the drybrushing but you can bring back the colour by applying a glaze of blue, (if you have it) apply it thinly you want it to just wet the model and not puddle, if you don't have a glaze water down the base blue colour you used, 1 blob paint, 10 blobs water is about right.

Eyes, you may find it easier to draw a black line down the centre to represent the pupil, again water down the black and apply a thin line.

Sterling first effort ;)

Bowser, n810, Theo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Theo
    Skink

Theo Member

Thanks for all the great tips guys. I really do appreciate it. I will try out the white technique abit. The white I used was also abit old so Ive gotten a new pot of white to hopefully make it not as thick. I do have gulliman blue glaze would that fit for trying to make it look more alive? What about the gold? I find it really difficult to get that nice gold finish it either goes complete see-through or super thick.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. BeardyGecko
    Ripperdactil

No worries! yeah a new pot of white will help but make sure to thin it a little with water first. It may take more coats but you will get a nice even finish.

I like gulliman blue glaze, but as it's a glaze it will definitely add shine to your model.
    I find this appropriate for lizard man models as they tend to be wet look but if you don't want that then drakenhof shade (think that's it?) is a good go to for shading blues.

With gold I tend to undercoat the area in a brown of some sort and then start with a darker base metal colour, then wash that with Nuln oil and then layer brighter gold(s) on top. That might not be the most efficient but it works for me!

Don't be afraid to ask questions, I'm not that good to be honest and there's lots of friendly people on here who paint astounding stuff.

Crowsfoot and Theo like this.
  6. Theo
    Skink

Theo Member

Those are all great tips will try all of these out and report back later with the end result!

Crowsfoot and BeardyGecko like this.
  7. BeardyGecko
    Ripperdactil

Theo likes this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Gold I use a few methods but always lay down a brown base coat, my latest gold is,

Leadbleacher base, Hasnut copper layer, Runefang steel highlight.

More traditional gold look,

Balthasar gold base, wash with seraphim sepia, Balthasar gold drybrush, Runefang steel highlight.

BeardyGecko likes this.
  9. Theo
    Skink

Theo Member

Thanks those are awesome tips. Will try out both and see which one fits the most!

BeardyGecko likes this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

That skink looks amazing! The blues just flow into each other and the orangeshield and crest look fantastic. Can't wait to see more

Crowsfoot and Theo like this.
  11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Can't offer much technical support, but I also like the orange. The mark of Chotec is stong with this one.