1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Best way to balance v ogres

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Crowsfoot, Nov 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Morning Guys,

Played on Saturday Seraphon v Ogres

We played approx 50 wounds which seems a bad way to balance v Ogres as they have so many wounds per models.

Archie had,

Stornhorn
    Tyrant
    Butcher
    3 Leadbleachers
    3 Mounfang Cav

I had,

Skink starpriest
    20 TG
    EOG
    Sally + 3 snacks
    3 Krox

Now I got my TG into his Cav and had a total of 61 attacks and killed all 3 without losing a TG good yes but Ogre seem penalized my the wound count method, what is a better way of balance for this army?

Bowser likes this.
  2. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

They actually internally balance it out by almost always getting the sudden death option against you, because that is worded with "models" which means he could choose an option to win automatically

3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think you have to exclude wounds for the ogres and go 75% of the models. So 50 wounds for Seraphon is 28 models in the above build. That would be 21 ogre models. Seems like a tough match, but this type of challenge forces you to use your synergies and push your tactics in regards to terrain usage. Remember that ogres are like onions. And possibly cake.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Crowsfoot, Trociu and Kor-Lot-Ko like this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

If you guys play again using this method please let me know how it works out! If I'm thinking correctly this should be a close match up that could go either way.

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

We will get a game in this weekend, we played with the treasure chest but Archie was not happy when he rolled a 4 and I got to set up a unit of TG :)

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think it's the size of the battle that caused the limit. At my place we do a 125 wound limit and the Ogre player there is just fine. Hell, he wins a majority of his games.

The wound limit is, in my opinion, ideal for larger games. And larger games, I find, are just more fun because you have an actual army rather than a small force.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

True but we're still learning so keeping it small works for the moment, would love to field my full force!! (Around 300 wounds)

Bowser likes this.
  8. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

My local area's trying to figure out ways to field as many things as possible. For the smaller games, for example, we have a big team game where each player can field to allow for battalions and what-not, but each player is only allowed to use 30 wounds worth of models each turn, letting smaller armies stand up to bigger ones. Plus we use a scoring system similar to 40k's objective cards in order to let either side nab a victory regardless of army power.

Bowser likes this.