1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Bound Endless Spells

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by SkinkBait, Apr 8, 2020.

1. SkinkBait
    Saurus

SkinkBait Active Member

I just wanted to create this thread cause I dont know where else to put it.

Was looking through my battletome and the bound endless spells are unaffected by playing your games in the different realms. For example regular lifeswarm heals D6 wounds when fighting in Ghyran but the bound version doesn't have that ability.

Most just move faster or whatever, but it is something we should all keep in mind.

The more you know.

Ecozh and LizardWizard like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

They left all the extraneous text out of Endless Spell. It is why Bound Balewind Vortex had to have the max wounds a wizard could have to cast it added onto it. Apparently they didn't actually want Troglodons on the BwV.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

it does raise the question though, was it intended that they lost those abilities? Cuz if they intended those realm abilities to still be there wouldn't the F.A.Q. just have said "any special effects on their normal warscrolls like the realm bonusses still apply to bound spells". But instead they only really adressed 1 specific spell, which is weird.

Dr.Doom, Ecozh and LizardWizard like this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I don't think they intended to give them to the Bound spells. I think they just had an oversight of leaving the extraneous text off the BwV.

Dr.Doom and Ecozh like this.
  5. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

On the other hand the Primeval Dominion ability only ignores the old scenery effects - For some reason none of the new scenery effects (Volcanic, Overgrown etc.) are incorporated into the ability, which seems so odd and rather random. Especially because the new scenery effects would make so much sense for the Coalesced to ignore from a fluff perspective.

I wonder if army rules are made without taking into consideration the full package of more competitive play. Maybe they simply didnt consider realms affecting endless spells, and didnt consider the new scenery effects from GHB19.

6. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

This is so annoying. The rule is already half-useful. And with GHB rules it is cut in half once more. We tend to play with only CB rules to keep it simple. GHB rules are generally interesting, but additional rolls in the hero phase are kind of annoying.

Also, if they've included the GHB rules, Extend Astromatrix would be interesting in games vs Sylvaneth, where you can just negate Overgrown rules on their wyldwoods.

I suppose, they didn't include GHB rules, because they may be changed with new GHB, while CB ones are persistent. Still lame. They've could worded this like " You can chose if terrain rules in your territory affect yours or your enemy units" to generalise it.

LizardWizard, Canas and Grotpunter like this.
  7. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

I doubt the scenery effects from the GHB19 are temporary, although it could be fun with some kind of "season rules". Even if the rules are changed in a new GHB I dont see why Coalesced couldnt keep ignoring the bad effects of the new stuff. Just FAQ/errata it.

I just find the standard ones too boring and non-impactful beyond Arcane really. Whenever I play we use both and simply roll 1D6 and then 2 dice (I got 6 scenery dice with the old and another 6 with the new) - 1-3 it is the old dice that counts, 4-6 and it is the new.

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

which boils down to we ignoring Deadly and Sinister.

LizardWizard likes this.
  9. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Which bring us to ignoring only deadly, because we ignore sinister effects because of cold-blooded. Denying enemy Mystical may be worth once in a while, however.

Also, the rules states "partially or wholly within your territory". This means, that in certain battleplans we can cover quite a bit of terrain pieces with Primeval Domain.

LizardWizard and Killer Angel like this.
  10. Snailman
    Jungle Swarm

Snailman New Member

I have this weirdly specific memory of our bound endless spells always being the realm empowered version when they first teased them for the new battletome, not sure if I'm imagining things but if that was the case maybe the realm versions worked out to be way too OP if bound.

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  11. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

you're thinking CoS they always cast empowered endless spells and it's amazing. both together would be bonkers

12. Xuil
    Chameleon Skink

Xuil Well-Known Member

It just occurred to me that they missed a trick, in a big way, with bound spells...

Why didn’t they get summoning points costs?
    We can add units to our army, but Slann meditating to bring out a particular spell would’ve made the army infinitely more unique!

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

If I'd have to make a guess that'd probably be hilariously broken against armies that don't have an unbind. You'd end up covering the entire battlefield.
    It'd also definitly cement starborne as the better army.

It would be interesting as a mechanic though.

LizardWizard likes this.
  14. valentine009
    Skink

valentine009 Member

The language under Spell Lores and Bound Endless Spells says the following:

"In addition, a Seraphon army can include the bound endless spells. All of the rules that apply to other endless spells also apply to bound endless spells, except that bound predatory endless spells can only be moved by a player that has a Seraphon army. If only one player has a Seraphon army, then they move all of the bound predatory endless spells before any other predatory endless spells are moved. The players then alternate moving any remaining predatory endless spells as normal."

As a result I would argue that the enhanced realm effects apply.

LizardWizard likes this.
  15. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

The issue with this is that the realm bonus of normal endless spells is a part of their individual warscrolls. The bound versions don't include the wordage for the realm bonus hence why we don't get it.

I'm at work so can't confirm, but pretty sure this is the case.

Killer Angel and LizardWizard like this.
  16. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Yep, the phase:
    Could simply be referring to the rules from Malign Sorcery governing the inclusion, use, ect of Endless Spells. It says nothing specifically about warscroll cards.

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I confirm it it for you. No enhanced effects for bound spells

Cuetzpal Pilli and LizardWizard like this.