1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Building a slann

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Canas, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I got a slann, it hovers on its chair so the model has the clear see through pole thing to keep it afloat. However, there was nothing in the set to attach the pole to the base. I tried gluing it directly to it, or surrounding it with a stack of rocks to support it. Nothing worked. Eventually I managed to get it to stick by cutting a small hole in the base with a hot knife & sticking the pole in there, though it's slightly crooked and lower than it should be.

How am I supposed to stick models like these on their bases?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Normally I use a pin vice and drill through the base to glue it in.

Aginor likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I have the same problem, I will assemble my Slann soon.
    But since I don't want to use that pole (don't like how it looks) I will replace it with something else. I used thin black painted steel rods for my Terradons and I think I'll do the same here.
    I will drill a small hole through the base and use some super glue on both sides I guess. Worked for the Terradons and their poles are much longer.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Zheddikus
    Chameleon Skink

Zheddikus Well-Known Member

The Slaan, Kroak, and Starseer are the only ones I have had problems with. The Slaan I drilled a small hole and snipped a bit of the clear rod so it would not wobble.

For Kroak I used green stuff and made a low angle mound over the whole base to help.

The Starseer comes with a vine piece that sticks into it. But it sucks. Mine is lopsided. Will most likely pull out and fill with green stuff.

Terradons come with pretty good ruin pieces that are glued to the base to house the clear plastic sticks.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I prefer to use an aluminum nail. You can pound it through the base and the head of the nail prevents it from tipping. Just glue in place.

Also aluminum is usually soft enough that you can snip the pointy end off.

n810, tom ndege and Bowser like this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

mm, I'l try some of those for my next model then. Got the silver spire box and the aelf on his eagle thing has the same issue.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Clear acrylic rods can be used, drill the plastic base and glue the pole in but push the pole so it hits the surface the base is sat on, leave the glue to cure then get some greenstuff and push it round the rod under the base this helps secure it and weight the base.

Bowser and Aginor like this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

What I ended up doing was cut a hole in the base with a hot knife (I don't have a drill.. the joys of just finishing studying and not having tools...) and then having it stand in a glass filled halfway with rocks so the slann stayed vaguely upright. It looked stupid but it worked. The base pole you get is acrylic I think.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

If you ever have to do it again, I had good success by not gluing the Slann to the pole and sticking the pole (with the bottom peg removed) into a small hill of green stuff. Then after it dries you can pull out the pole and stick it back with super glue. It's been almost a year and it hasn't broken yet!

It also helps to attach the Slann o the pole last so it's not top heavy.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yeah, I already had the slann attached, it made it too heavy for the pole to stay upright when I tried to support it with some rocks or some of the green stuff I had (though the green stuff was old). It might've worked better without the heavy slann already on top of his pole. I hadn't noticed I lacked a good base for it and just assumed it worked the same as the terradon riders..

Bowser likes this.
  11. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

God tips here! Finishing the throne and the base of my slann will be one of my next projects...;)

Was thinking of stabilizing it with a kind of mini vortex... something like a flaming spiral or similar...
    Still wondering why they give you these basing equipment for the flyers but not for the slann...:rolleyes:

Bowser, Canas and Zheddikus like this.
  12. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

DeadlyRecluse Well-Known Member

You could always heat up a nail with a lighter and just melt a hole in the base. That's what I did for my lord kroak since he didn't come with a round when I bought him

Canas, Qupakoco and Bowser like this.
  13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's what I ended up doing, but since I already put the model together it was top heavy so even hat didn't go entirely as planned...

Bowser likes this.