1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Cageyblood's big ol paint blog - Chaos Knights

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Cageyblood, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

I don't know. Carroburg tends to darken the red tones on models... Maybe it's not visible though

Cageyblood likes this.
  2. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Cageyblood Well-Known Member

Or maybe I shouldn't be using a shade at all! I'm just trying to smooth out the texture and blend the colors a bit, so maybe a glaze would do the same things and not overly darken it. I have bloodletter glaze so I'll give that a shot. Like I said, its worth experimenting.

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Use bloodletter and apply it thinly don’t let it puddle.

Regarding the base, have you got any 20mm sg bases? cut the lip of stick them onto the base then pva glue and sand to make them look old, or you could use plastacard

Cageyblood likes this.
  4. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

That is brilliant! I do have some kicking around I'll see what I can do with them

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

What effect are we trying to have with the bases?

6. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

The idea is to be at the very foot of a ruined temple, so the back half will be standing on rough stone tile and the front half on jungle ground. I needed the tiles to be quite thin so that I didn't have to build up the natural ground part of the base. I'm only doing this particular effect on my monsters, the battleline units will just have jungle basing.
    I actually did crowsfoot's suggestion last night and it turned out awesome, posting a pic below. Obviously the little bits of overhand need to be trimmed. Going to further decorate the temple part with some rubble, maybe a crumbled pillar. I'll also be adding small patches of flocking to the tile to make it look like moss and vegetation is spreading there.
    base stage 1.1.jpg base stage 1.2.jpg

Crowsfoot, tom ndege and Warden like this.
  7. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Bastilodon update. Hit the underside with a coat of nightshade and liked the color, so decided to go with a purpley/blue shell. Its a bit Tzeentch-y but I don't care, I think it looks baller. My phone isn't picking up the purple midtones very well. Shell is McCragge blue, shade with nightshade, drybrush layers of Naggaroth night, Daemonette Hide, Slannesh Grey and Palid Wych Flesh and a coat of Guiliman Blue glaze. I like the color scheme, but I may end up trying to brighten the ends of the shoulder spikes even a bit more. Making progress on the skinks too, should have a completed test model to show in a day or two, plus starting to tackle the base on my next few days off.

shell stage 1.1.jpg shell stage 1.2.jpg

8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Looking good so far

Cageyblood likes this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Agree, nice paint scheme.

Cageyblood likes this.
  10. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

This looks great! I'm getting ready to start on one of these models myself. How did you achieve that gemstone effect on the, well, gems?

Cageyblood likes this.
  11. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

I hit it with a coat of gloss varnish. Hardcoat is the name of the technical paint G.W. sells it as, but there are many alternatives, it'll give that glassy sheen effect I believe you're referring to. If you're wondering about the painting of the gem itself I'm happy to explain how I did that as well. :)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  12. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

After a long and honestly kind of frustrating night I got my solardon done. Still have to do the base for it, but the model itself is complete. I had a feeling I would really dislike it when I was done and second guessed myself a lot during the process but I'm actually really happy with the final result. Happy enough with this model, but would not do this paint scheme again. Not perfect, but pretty darn good I think. As always, any feedback / criticism is 100 percent welcome.
    As an aside, I think I may try to pick up a budget digital camera because my phone's camera is garbage and it is super annoying to see these shots look so much worse than irl.
    model 1.jpg model 2.jpg model 3.jpg model 4.jpg model 5.jpg

13. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

Looks amazing! Great job!

Cageyblood likes this.
  14. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

Looks good!

Cageyblood likes this.
  15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Looks good but (there is all ways a but) I think your colours are too close together, your top shell looks good but it's not standing out against the skin colour, I would lighten the skin up.

I would probably drybrush it a blue/grey then a final drybrush of white on the knees, ankles and then glaze with purple or blue but very thin just to tint the highlights.

It looks good so don't worry about doing anything if you don't want to you can all ways go back later. ;)

Nefertem and Cageyblood like this.
  16. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Yep that is definitely one of the issues I have with it as well. My brother, who doesn't paint, had the exact same gut reaction. Maybe I'll do that at a later date, that is a good remedy for for that particular problem, but I think for the moment I'm just kind of glad to be done and moving on.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

One of the biggest learning curves is knowing when to leave something alone. ;)

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

So does leaving painting alone altogether count? :D If so, then you shall from hence forth refer to me as master.

Nefertem and Crowsfoot like this.
  19. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

So good news bad news. Good news, I am not dead! Bad news, May is pretty much over and I got approximately none of what I wanted to do done this month. Combination of getting frustrated with my results and having other obligations take up my spare time meant I fell off the productivity wagon HARD for the past few weeks. Still, no use beating myself up over it, gotta get back on the horse. Gonna post what I did accomplish anyway and try and get some momentum going.

While plugging away at doing more of my skinks I also did one Saurus as a test model in the same scheme. I like it even better on these models than the skinks, and I really like how the Jade weapons are coming out. Actualy pretty happy with this little dude. (Thanks to Ritual for the great jade recipe!)

test final 1.1.jpg test final 1.2.jpg test final 1.3.jpg

tom ndege, Ritual and Crowsfoot like this.
  20. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

I also got some scattered progress done on my Carnasaur. I ended up stripping my Oldblood and his Throne because they were coming out like garbage (which was the main discouraging thing that happened this month) but I finally got the skin of my Carny to a point that I don't hate it. Its at the 'good enough' level which, after previously trying to do this twice, is a bar that is way lower than it should be. I'm so beyond caring lol. Haven't done the highlighting of the jade pieces on the head, which is causing it to get lost among the black. Might end up painting gold over it if its still not popping out after highlights. Lots of detail work yet to go, but at least there is some progress to show on this guy for now.
    Shoutout to Bret 'the Hitman' Hart for inspiring the pink and black look.

stage 1.1.jpg stage 1.2.jpg stage 1.3.jpg stage 1.4.jpg

tom ndege, Ritual and Crowsfoot like this.