1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Cageyblood's big ol paint blog - Chaos Knights

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Cageyblood, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Exactly. It is your blog so post as often as you have something to say. :)
    Good work on those!

Cageyblood likes this.
  2. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Cageyblood Well-Known Member

Finished up the skullshrine scenery piece. While I feel I maybe went a bit overboard with the foliage I'm generally happy with the base, and I think I will be basing my army using this general scheme. Any feedback on the basing in particular is welcome. tri skull stage 7.1.jpg tri skull stage 7.2.jpg tri skull stage 7.3.jpg

Now working on my bastilodon and since I have an idea for how to paint my skinks I can work on the whole thing, so I'll likely do that before moving on to anything else.

Warden, Captaniser, Crowsfoot and 2 others like this.
  3. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Looks good. Only thing I'd have to say is: the plant with the big dark leaves in the front right corner is covering too much of your own excellent work... I would remove it or place it a bit more towards the crest of the skull/middle of the base... right now nearly the entire front part is thickly covered in plants and the middle is completely open...
    But nice job nonetheless!

Warden and Cageyblood like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah I agree with @tom ndege here. The plants look cool but they probably cover a bit too much.

Warden and Cageyblood like this.
  5. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

I agree with you two. I think, regarding plants on the base, I was so preoccupied with whether I could I didn't stop to think if I should. :p

6. Nefertem
    Temple Guard

Nefertem Well-Known Member

I really like it. Only problem I have with tank plants is, that they're always shining so much. One can wash them in water with some dishwasher and either re-paint them in matte colours and/or matte varnish. But that's just my liking, I'm a fan of matte colours.

Cageyblood likes this.
  7. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

While its not a huge deal to me personally, I honestly did notice and dislike how shiny the plants were. I had no idea how to go about fixing that, so thanks! I'll maybe experiment and if I can find something that isn't a lot of effort I'll do that to the plants going forward.

8. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Tonight's progress, I trimmed off some of the plants from my scenery piece and laid out a bit more green flocking, I think it looks a lot better.
    tri skull stage 8.1 final.jpg

I also continued on my bastilodon. I screwed up the underside of the monster pretty badly and got paint on the shell while doing it, so it is currently sitting in stripping agent and i'll try again in a few days when it is a clean state. Don't want to make stripping a habit but I think it is best in this case.

Instead working on the solar crystal structure, really enjoying doing the colorful mosaics and am pretty happy with the result of the structure. Going to start on the crystal and the skinks next.

solar crystal stage 1.1.jpg solar crystal stage 1.2.jpg

9. Aginor
    Slann

The Skull looks really great now.
    You are making good progress with the Solar Engine as well. :)

Cageyblood likes this.
  10. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Got the solar engine done today. Doing the crystal was challenging but I'm pretty happy with the result. Doing this was great practice for edge highlighting. I'll also say that while I enjoyed doing my chaos warriors well enough, the fact that all this seraphon stuff is so COLORFUL makes for more fun than painting 50 models in various types of black armor.
    solar crystal stage 2.1.jpg

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Edge highlights are a pain, I spent 3hrs last night on one model!

Warden likes this.
  12. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Hopefully i'll grow into having the patience to do that, cause right now I certainly do not!

Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  13. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! All the vibrant color variations in a Lizardmen army is one of the reasons I love them so much! The possibilities are limited only by your imagination! Besides....who doesn't love dinosaurs? (I always feel bad whenever I kill a Stegadon. Lol!)

Warden, Cageyblood and Crowsfoot like this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think it looks really great. Getting those crystals to turn out right is a tough challenge. Yours is great!

Lizardmen have limitless options. Although in Chaos' defense, god specific themes can add a huge injection of colour: red (Khorne), green (nurgle), blue (Tzeentch), purple & pink (Slaanesh).

Crowsfoot and Cageyblood like this.
  15. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Very true. I am excited to eventually add some tzeentch stuff to that army which is like 99% slaves to darkness stuff. Someday. :)

Crowsfoot and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

NOOOOO, you only need Papa Nurgle :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

Teheloqtec and Cageyblood like this.
  17. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

So today's update is a batch of skinks, plus the bastiskinks and the underside of the bastilodon itself. Really liking how the skinks are turning out with the piranha color scheme, gonna keep on going with that. Pretty happy with the lilac underside but unsure of the shell color now...tried a coat of steg scale green and didn't like it. Thinking about maybe orange but doing the toothbrush spatter technique to give it small spots, or maybe just a darker purple. Idk I'll think on it more.

WIP Skinks 1.jpg WIP Skinks 2.jpg underside stage 1.1.jpg

Also thinking forward to basing my bastilodon, I really want to do the edge of a ruined temple to go with the few rocks the model has underfoot. Tried messing around with xps foam to make a thin tiled floor but I just ended up making a mess, thinking about taking a crack at it on my next day off with some modeling clay instead. Not super familiar with either material. Crowsfoot, I know you're the expert on basing here, would love your 2 cents.

18. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That stegadon skull looks great!

Cageyblood likes this.
  19. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

I would lighten up the red underbellies, honestly. They look too dark to me currently, as if the dark blue is blending in + the shadows

20. Cageyblood
    Temple Guard

Currently doing a dry brushing of Mephiston red, then a dry brush of evil sunz Scarlett then a wash of carrosburg crimson. Maybe another even lighter dry brush layer is in order. I think a big reason they aren’t as visible here is just because of how hunched over the skink models are and it’ll be more visible on Saurus models, but that doesn’t preclude brightening them up anyway. I’ll experiment. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Crowsfoot likes this.