1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't have enough monsters? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering the Monster Mash! - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog Cageyblood's big ol paint blog

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Cageyblood, Apr 20, 2018.

1. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

A simple wash can help a lot...

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Just to add a bit more on the base, a wash will tone down the plants but make sure you key them off, use a scotch pad to lightly score the surface, also on the base where it goes from stone to grass the line is too straight if you can bring the grass over onto the stone in a random pattern that will look more natural.

Great work so far keep it up. ;)

3. Cageyblood
    Saurus

Cageyblood Active Member

Hey yo! I'm not dead!
    Sorry for being inactive over the summer, but just because I wasn't posting doesn't mean I wasn't doing anything!

I did a bit of commission stuff as a favor to my friend, painting a bunch of 28mm D&D stuff from one of the box games. Learned a lot from doing that, chiefly that I don't like painting 28mm stuff! It was a good learning experience to work with a different type of plastic, priming style, human eyes (never had to do that before) so I do feel it was in the end helpful.

I did a bit of terrain building as well! Most projects were failures, but I did manage to make a dice tower out of styrofoam brick! Sorry for potato quality.
    dice tower.jpg
    Warhammer wise, I finished my first box of skinks, my carno (sans rider for the moment), a few saurus warriors, and got a bunch more stuff assembled and primed, but the past few weeks I've been putting a lot of time into my bases. I took a lot of the great feedback I got in this thread and made a batch of bases I'm very happy with. I also took my modified skink priest off that awful looking green mess and re-based them on one of the new ones.

Biggest change I would say is that I realized that instead of just flocking with foliage as a first layer, things would look more varied and interesting if I did a layer of rock and dirt and then heavily flocked with vegetation instead. I think this ends up looking more like a harsh jungle floor than just having nothing but green underfoot. I also invested in the Citadel skull box, highly recommended, its fun to have so many skulls that I don't feel even a little guilty about popping down 2-3 per base. I also added a bunch of punji sticks and topped them with "Blood for the Blood God" and I look forward to doing scenery with the punji sticks to bring this whole "lost world hellhole jungle" theme all together. Knowing what I know now, I would probably re-base my Basti / Carno, but whats done is done. Perhaps a project for another day.

PICTURES!!!

Bunch of WIP shots of my new basing style.

Attached Files:

4. Cageyblood
    Saurus

Cageyblood Active Member

So whats next then?
    Well I recently came into a unexpected bit of money. Never having been a frugal sort, I thought of a good use for it...
    haul Oct '18.jpg

...my painting schedule just filled up in a big way.

Warden and Aginor like this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning

Glad to hear that! :)
    That's funny, for me it is the other way round:
    Just because I post doesn't mean I am doing anything! :D

Edit: Those bases look great!

Cageyblood likes this.
  6. Warden
    Skink Priest

Warden Well-Known Member

Fantastic bases, and I like the dice tower!

Cageyblood likes this.