1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Can I take 3 EOTG in Thunderquake Starhost

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by tfihsnz, Apr 8, 2019.

1. tfihsnz
    Skink

tfihsnz New Member

Hi im building a 2k list and I was going to put in a Thunderquake Starhost but i dsont quite understand part of it.

it says to take two of any combo of either Stegadons or Bastilodons

my question is does an eotg count as a stegadon variant? so can i take 3 eotg or does it have to be bastiladons / pure stagadons because the eotg does have the stagadon key word

Im building a bit of a meme list with 3 engines and im trying to find a way to reduce the drops in the army

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

If you look at the requirements it states, 1 Engine of the Gods or Troglodon.

Engine of the Gods is a leader and is not classed as a Stegadon so you take 1 and then Stegadon/Basilodons for the battalion.

You can take 3 Engine of the Gods in your army but only one will be subject to the battalion rules.

tfihsnz and LizardWizard like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

He actually brings up a good point. I just looked at the keywords the EoTG has and it does also have the keyword "stegadon". So technicly a EoTG is indeed a stegadon. Usually the keywords would be leading for these kind of questions, so this is a tad weird.

tfihsnz, LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

But the wording of the Battalion says "1 EotG" so you can only have one in the battalion

tfihsnz, LizardWizard and Canas like this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

That'd still technicly leave the option for 1 trog & 2 EoTG's, trog as the leader EOTG's as your 2 stegadons :p

I don't think there's any other example though where a unit fits in two places for a battalion, and going with the most restrictive option is probably the correct interpretation. God we need some updates for our warscrolls and rephrasing.

tfihsnz, Crowsfoot and LizardWizard like this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

The keywords are not bolded, you must take them with the exact name and not the keyword as a result. So, you can not take three EotGs.

ILKAIN, Schwaaah, Blitzkriyg and 5 others like this.
  7. tfihsnz
    Skink

tfihsnz New Member

well bugger i was hopefull. but thank you very much. didnt wanna get them rules wrong

Crowsfoot and LizardWizard like this.
  8. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

This is the Key part. BOLD text means tagline. Non bold means exact model. this is how Kroak can Summon

9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yep. The non-bold text refers to the name of a warscroll, while the bold one means a keyword.

Although there are some ability texts on older warscrolls (like the one of the Stegadon's "Skink Alpha" ability ) that don't adhere to that rule strictly.

The text says: ... the Alpha can give orders to a Skink unit within 8" ...
    The ability would be completely unusable since there is no unit (warscroll) called "Skink", only the keyword "Skink", but it isn't bold here.

So pick one of these:
    1. they mean only Skinks, then they have to rephrase it to ... the Alpha can give orders to a unit of Skinks within 8" ...
    2. they mean all SKINK keyword units (including the Basti, Rippers, or the Steggy itself), then they have to change it to SKINK unit. Which then is hilarious because it works on all Skink units _except_ regular Skinks, who do no have the SKINK keyword. To be consistent again they would need to either give the Skinks the keyword or declare that a keyword always also means its plural form.

I cannot understand why that wasn't corrected yet. It was reported to GW multiple times, especially because some cool teleportation+move shenanigans of the Stegadon become possible using it, and people are argueing whether that is intended or not.
    ...or maybe it was clarified and my memory is failing. Again. :D

tfihsnz, Canas and LizardWizard like this.
  10. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

don't forget that the Steadfast majesty ability also says SKINKS can re roll battle shock tests with in 5" of any STEGADONS....*eyeroll* clear and consistent as mud

11. Aginor
    Slann

Yep, so that one is Skinks only. Chameleon Skinks for example don't get that buff.

12. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Skink Alpha on the other hand can target Steggadons, Chameleon Skinks, ect.

tfihsnz likes this.
  13. Aginor
    Slann

No, that isn't bold so it isn't the keyword. The ability doesn't work at all if you are really strict.

14. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Skink Alpha: If a Stegadon is ridden by a Skink Alpha, then in your hero phase the Alpha can give orders to a Skink unit within 8". If that unit is not within 3" of an enemy unit, you can immediately roll a dice and move each of its models up to that many inches. In addition, until your next hero phase, you can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for that unit.

Steggadon, Chemeleon Skinks, Skinks, ect all have keyword Skink.

tfihsnz likes this.
  15. Aginor
    Slann

Huh. I just looked it up in the app and it isn't bold.
    Is it bold in the paper Battletome?

16. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

It is bolded on the GW site Warscroll. I will have to check by Battletome at home this evening.

Though to be be un-bolded it would say "skinks"?

tfihsnz likes this.
  17. Aginor
    Slann

Yep, that's the weird thing about it if it isn't bold. Because it then would apply to nothing at all.

18. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

wouldn't that mean all SKINKS keyword? of which no one has because the keyword is SKINK?

19. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

It is bolded on the website for sure. like I said... love the clarity and consistency lol

20. Aginor
    Slann

I think the conversation in this thread about that warscroll is enough to illustrate that it is a frikkin' mess. :D

I checked the printed Battletome and it is bold there, so "Steadfast Majesty" applies only to regular Skinks (although it is bold, but at least Skinks have the Skinks keyword).
    However the word Stegadons is bold, too. And there is no unit with the keyword "Stegadons".... :D

"Skink Alpha" has the word Skink in bold, so it works for all Skink keyword units, but not for Skinks.

Huzzah GW!