1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (Woogity's Rex! )

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Caprasauridae, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I finally got my two battalion boxes and almost immediately commenced painting. I have been thinking about the colour scheme a lot and after the first model I think it's rather successful. However, I do want to hear your opinions: Does it rock or should I reserve a time for an ophthalmologist and double check my wardrobe? I'll probably be using couple of different schemes other than this just to get some variation, but this is a start.

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

Comments and questions are welcome.

Bracnos and Bowser like this.
  2. Ranorian
    Skink

Ranorian New Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen

I like it! It has a poison dart frog vibe going for it. The brightness makes the model really stand out.

3. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks Ranorian, I'm glad you like it! The inspiration came from a gecko lizard with that kind of colours, but of course they weren't as bright as in the miniature (the colours are further enhanced by the flash of the camera, though). I just like bright colours.

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

always refreshing to see an uncommon and colourful colour scheme :)

A few pointers though. first, your orange seems to be highlighted backwards... the orange you used on the fingers and rib structures is in fact darker than the more yellow tone that is showing between the fingers and ribs. It is more traditional to do it the other way around.

Also, you might want to try another color for the eyes. not because yellow isnt a cool color, but because it contrasts so poorly with the orange skin. it may be worth giving green a try.

GL

Bowser likes this.
  5. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Looks good. Did you intentionally highlight it backwards, or is that an accident or a caused by the camera? Backwards highlighting can look good, and in this case I do think it looks kinda cool the way the skin around the eyes are more yellowish than the orange on the higher areas. I've seen some Tyranids painted with reverse highlighting to good effect.

6. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks for the comments! You give me way too much credit, I have never even heard of reverse highlighting. I painted the orange first with foundation orange (can't remember the name), washed with Ogryn Flesh and then highlighted with Blazing Orange. I think the colour of the space between fingers is an artefact caused by the camera flash, because in real life it looks darker. I don't know about the ribs, though. I'm quite new painter and just started dappling with highlights... Do you think I should try mixing the foundation orange with some black or darker brown to make it less yellowish?

And Lord Tsunami, you are right about the eyes. I think I'll experiment on couple of different colours like green and blue and possibly red. This was a practice run as it' the first time I have painted eyes (with Tomb Kings you don't get much practice...). Thanks.

Jorgik likes this.
  7. Little Wolf
    Saurus

Little Wolf New Member

I really like the blue and orangy :). I definitely wouldn't make the foundation darker, but instead look at using a lighter colour for the highlights!

8. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thank you Little Wolf! Yeah, ok, of course I could do it that way too. Didn't think of that. I'll give it a try, it's not like I'm running out of Sauri anytime soon...

9. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

10. parrot
    Cold One

parrot New Member

That would look awesome :bored:

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks, parrot! I tried it, and here's the current, almost finished one:

IMAG0139-1.jpg

I'm... not too sure. It looks interesting, but... not what I had in mind. I don't know. I need to sleep on it. Well, not ON it, that would ruin it for sure. But I sleep on the idea. I definitely need to come up with a different colour scheme for the rider.

Bowser likes this.
  12. parrot
    Cold One

parrot New Member

I think that grey and yellow work great together. good job :D

13. Karnaak
    Skink

Karnaak New Member

I might try reverse of that color for the cold one, dark on skin, yellow on scales.

14. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks parrot! I have started to like it too.

Karnaak, great idea and I would like to try that, but I feel that painting and shading (or whatever you want to call my feeble attempts) black is really hard. Not that yellow is easy, but at least I can see the recesses without big problems. I need to practice that on something smaller, maybe with skinks. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

15. CdlP
    Skink

CdlP New Member

[quote="I feel that painting and shading (or whatever you want to call my feeble attempts) black is really hard. Not that yellow is easy, but at least I can see the recesses without big problems. I need to practice that on something smaller, maybe with skinks. Anyway, thanks for the feedback![/quote]

Highlighting black is always a problem, for my saurus/krox I highlight into a dark shade of blue, with pure black being the low light and then a mix of dark grey and blue being the final highlights. Though one thing I've seen done for highlighting pure black is to:

1. Paint the area all black.
    2. High light up with 1 or 2 highlights of dark grey. (dry brushing works fine)
    3. Wash with a very very watered down coat of the original black.

I haven't tried this method myself but I'm going to soon when I do some Night Goblins for this months competition. If you like I can post a pic. of the results and you can judge for yourself if you fancy trying it.

16. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Awesome, CdIP, tons of thanks for the advice, that does sound good. Making your own wash could really be good for the shading. I'd love to see pictures, when you have them.

17. cammy
    Saurus

cammy New Member

http://www.halforums.com/xenforo/threads/painted-warhammer-and-warhammer-40k-miniatures.16198

Here might be able to help you with ideas- i used it for inspiration for my lizards,

also when painting the yellow and the scales i have found it works easier if you do the yellow all, use say iyanden dark sun as the initial base colour then wash it with gryphon sepia, then go over with iyanden dark sun again and then slowly add in a more brighter tone. then individually pick out the scales with the chaos black and then edge highlight with denab stone works well.

this should get the colour your after, and give the definition and depth of colour in the recesses you are after.

18. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Oh, that Stegadon looks cool! I was unsure at first reversing the black and yellow, but after seeing that I'll definitely at least try it out on the Cold Ones. Thanks for sharing and especially for the tips, cammy! For the Cold One I basecoated with Iyanden Darksun, washed with Ogryn Flesh, once the whole model and then additional wash for the big recesses, then painted with Sunburst Yellow. I guess doing Darksun twice would give the transitions more smoothness and give better possibilities for highlighting. Dheneb Stone is an interesting choice, I'll give it a go too.

19. cammy
    Saurus

cammy New Member

Iprefer Gryphon sepia over yellow rather than ogryn flesh (will try and get some of mypics)

also with yellow i would try a few thinner coats over the wash and try leave a bit more wash in the recesses this should help pick out the detail a bit more. but then it does depends if your after a clean crisp yellow or a more earthy tone.

depending on the time you want to spend per model using your top highligh colour and slowly adding in more layers to the iyanden darksun shoudl give you good transition- i personally prefer as a minimum, base,wash, base, 2:1 base,top highlight, 1:1 base top high light, top highlight- although it sounds a lot if done in batches is quite quick as you dont have to be to neat as the scales and the teeth and saddle will be picked out afterwards

but overall its a nice colour scheme you have and is coming along quite nicely

20. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

That doesn't sound so bad, especially since the scales don't take too much of the whole model. Once again, thanks, I'll definitely try that and maybe some other things. I'm just first going to paint some Saurus warriors. I love that in Lizardmen it's completely ok and according to the fluff to have different coloured troops, so you can do some experimentation without it affecting the overall look of your army that much!