1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carnosaur & Bastilidon model advice

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Just A Skink, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I'm FINALLY getting around to assembling my Bastilidon & Carnosaur. I had two very general questions, but they will probably have detailed answers...

Any advice on putting together the Bastilidon, prepping it and painting it?
    Any advice on putting together the Carnosaur, prepping it and painting it?

For example: I just put together the basti body, legs & tail, but I didn't attach the head or any of the armor. I have really thought about priming just that part and trying to paint/shade/highlight the tongue first (which is attached the body and the head fits around it). Then priming and attaching the head & armor.

Or would you guys just assemble all of the bastilidon (without engine or ark), and prime/paint that?

Thank you in advance.

Crowsfoot and LizardWizard like this.
  2. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

Hey buddy :)

When I painted the Carnosaur, I kept it in three assemblies: The dino itself, the throne and the rider. I unfortunately glued the dino to the base - You should not do that. It makes painting the belly a massive bother.

I'm currently working on the basti, and there I've assembled the dino in full, including the face plate. I'm keeping the ark with the skinks attached separate. So far I haven't really experienced any problems getting to the tongue, but your mileage may vary. I also kept the base seprarate, because fool me once...

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I assembled the Bastiladon shell separately. It works fine. Makes it much easier.

And of course don't glue the platform on.

As for the Carno: agree. Rider, throne, base, and Carno separately. And paint the reins separately, too.

4. Workschmock
    Saurus

Workschmock Member

Yes, you're all on the right track imho. I completely assembled the lower half of the Bastiladon Body and tge shell separately. Primed and painted them, assembled and painted the ark and glued everything together afterwards to seal it with a nice shiny coat. But i'm still thinking about how to paint the skinks, so it is not complete yet. For the carnosaurus, I can recommend to build and paint head(s), body and rider/saddle separately which is easy and you could even change heads without using magnets, as it snaps into place firmly enough :). Have fun with those two beatiful models and show us the result!

Crowsfoot and Just A Skink like this.
  5. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

@Darklaw, that's a good tip about the base. I feel like I should have tried to paint my saurus & skinks without bases too, just to get around them easier. One of my buddies who is a more experienced painter recommended just putting the model together and painting the tongue inside. Since I'm pretty green at painting, I was just concerned about getting to it. But, we'll see.

@Aginor & @Workschmock, thanks for the tips. I think I will try to build the shell separately and prime/paint. I also appreciate the carno suggestions. Just looking at the model's directions, I thought I could build them separate like that, but that's a good tip to paint the reins separately.

Since I have some more advanced modelers in my group, I'm tempted to magnetize the ark & solar engine, and probably the arms on the oldblood/scar vet. With only one basti, is it worth it, or would you just build the model one way and run with it?

Crowsfoot and Workschmock like this.
  6. Irish Lizarman
    Chameleon Skink

Irish Lizarman Well-Known Member

Put the little holders for the platform in the Bastiladon first and not after as i found out :(

Crowsfoot and Just A Skink like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I know that I am an exception here.

I always paint my models fully assembled, don't ask me why, I know it's easier to paint in sub assemble but I never do.

Schwaaah and Just A Skink like this.
  8. Darklaw
    Saurus

Darklaw Active Member

@Crowsfoot I kind of see where you're coming from. I don't like sub assemblies much either, and I try to avoid them as best I can. Bitter experiences, however, have taught me that they are neccesary for me :(

Just A Skink and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I would go frikkin' nuts without subassemblies. :D

As for swapping the Ark and the Solar Engine:
    It is really easy. I didn't even magnetize them, just used a small blob of poster putty to keep them on there.

Just A Skink likes this.
  10. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Probably b/c you're a more confident/competent painter & model builder. I... am not.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Nah I'm just lazy

Just A Skink likes this.
  12. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Hi all. More questions.
    I'm trying to decide on a color scheme for my bastiladon. I'm considering either the "standard" green & tan from the box. But I also considered brownish-orange armor and either tan or green skin. @Andreas has a nice one in the bastiladon thread. So does @Crowsfoot (the orange one) and @Sleboda. If any of you would mind sharing your colors, if you can remember, I would appreciate it (most of those posts were a while ago).

Or what GW colors would you use to make a decent "rusty" brown color (brownish-orange)? And what would you recommend for tan or drab green skin? I could just use the box for the tan, which is zandri, agrax, karak stone, but I'd appreciate suggestions.

Thank you!

http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/bastiladon.12692/