1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Carnosaur D3 wounds

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by ASSASSIN_NR_1, Oct 28, 2014.

1. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Based on a discussion (http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/piranha-blade-sacred-stegadon-helm-of-itza.15271/)

The Carnosaur has the D3 multiple wounds special rule. now what I thought when reading some of this discussion was, when does the Carnosaur do the multiple wounds? well I think the obvious answer is its close combat attacks and that makes sense, but what about its thunderstomp? It has the D3 multiple wounds, do they apply to the thundestomp too I wonder?

Would be a bit wierd if it did, but given that it has the rule, maybe it would be stomping pretty hard on the infantry making delicious Carnosaur jam.

Well one has the freedom to dream right.

2. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I'd say he doesn't get his D3 when stomping. That could be wrong, but I do feel like it is really not that big of a deal either way. The only thing you'd really want to stomp with D3 wounds is a infantry sized hero or lord on foot. Maybe a warbeast. But it's almost completely irrelevant in my games at least. I can say with almost 100% certainty that D3 wounds on my stomps would have never applied to anything I've stomped. Had I of known his stomps had D3 wounds I may use my carno to clear monstrous beast, but I'd imagine most beast would be dead before stomp time and I'd probably be more inclined to just plan to use the roar to clear them more effectively than wasting a combat with chaff.

Edit:
    Just read both rules. I don't see why he wouldn't get D3 wounds with his stomps. Multiple Wounds says "Each unsaved wound inflicted by an attack..." Stomp says "... can make a Stomp in addition to it's other close combat attacks." Stomp indeed qualifies as an attack. Stomp them infantry heroes! Unless I'm missing something, which could be.

3. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

Stomps are automatic hit resolve like shooting.

Also as impact hits , i think they dont allow special rules.

Its the same as kroxigor stomp, they strike with S7 but stomp doesn't use Great Weapon and its done at S5 of the model.

4. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Click his link. The only issue is the Great weapon has the +2 str. Here, the model has the Multiple Wounds special rule. Which isn't really supposed* to happen. It's supposed* to be on a weapon not the model, and is causing all kinds of issues giving it to the model's profile, not the weapon's.

*Assuming this isn't a setup for 9th edition rules and will be fixed in an upcoming FAQ. (Hoping for a change in direction in 9th, rules made to be clear, not flavor)

5. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

I just woke up after a terrible night of no sleep, and I needed a good laugh. Thank you good sir.

Speaking as a 40k player, we've had rules that has been hotly disputed since 6th edition launched, and have hoped for some sort of FAQ to clear things up - only for the to instead launch 7th edition, which didn't clear things up anyway

GW doesn't fix their rules. Especially not rules people can't come to an agreement about. That is apparently a thing of the past.

6. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

I'm positive that the BRB's FAQ explicitly disallows Stomps (and possibly Breath Weapons) from utilizing special rules.

All things considered, I've found that Impact Hits actually offer more by way of *allowing* the use of special rules, if you dig - TK Chariots w/ Killing Blow confer KB to Impact Hits per the TK FAQ, for example.

As far as I'm concerned, Impact Hits are still close combat attacks - I think a lot of people grossly misinterpreted the intent of the contradictory excerpt from the FAQ. Maybe that's just my group and I, though.

I'd pull quotes for all of this, but I'm at work. Short story: no special rules for stomps. Sorry guys!

7. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

It would almost never come up, but if we assume (based on the discussion i started linking to) that the Carnosaur gets it D3 multiple wounds.

The rulebook states that stomp is another close combat attack (and so is thunderstomp) and therefore the Carnosaur might get its D3 multiple wounds on its stomps.

like DanBot says in his (assuming DanBot is a him) first comment.

where does the rulebook say that stomps are to be resolved like shooting? you may be right, but i cannot seem to find it.

8. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

It's in the 'Special Rules' section of the errata - no benefits for Stomp or Thunderstomp.

9. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

you are right.

then it´s simple: The Carnosaur does NOT get the D3 multiple wounds for its stomp attacks.

it actually states specifically in the errata that stomps and thundetstomps does not benefit from special rules.

question answered!

thanks to those who have helped clarify this :D