1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Celestial Judgment

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Aphotic, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

Hello all!

Welcome to my personal paint log. I'm new to the Age of Sigmar scene and will be using this log to help motivate me, gather critiques, ideas, and inspiration!

A brief history about my table top gaming career. I started playing Warhammer 40k in January 2014. This was my first experience with assembling, painting, and playing with miniatures and the table top genre. I found it fascinating. I played Tau for about 2 years, then sold that army to fund my current project, which is my Blood Angels army. I will add some pictures from these armies in this post later.

I have been following Age of Sigmar since the death and rebirth of the Game Workshop Fantasy line, and have been so impressed by the new models coming out for the game. I've always had a soft spot for Lizardmen and their iterations throughout the years. Age of Sigmar has started gaining traction at my FLGS and a friend of mine finally convinced me to buy in. This past weekend (4/1/17) I purchased the Start Collecting! Seraphon box and the Battletome: Seraphon book.

I will update this OP and use separate posts to track my progress throughout my Seraphon journey, and I'm hoping you all will join me.

Thanks for reading! See you all soon.

Current Goals
    1. Complete 1st SC box.
    2. Convert 1 Saurus Knight into Saurus Scar Veteran On Cold One.
    3. Convert Oracle from extra Carnosaur/Trog sprue into Skink Priest.

Future Goals
    Purchase 2nd Start Collecting! Seraphon

Completed Goals
    Purchase Start Collecting! Seraphon and Battletome: Seraphon.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Warden, Jorgik, Ritual and 2 others like this.
  2. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

I believe with work they can be. they are a lot thinner though more agile in appearance - I have had one Saurus rider on one in a job lot I got. Haven't done the conversion myself though so don't know what went into making it possible. The certainly are cooler looking raptors in my opinion.

Aphotic, Aginor, Ritual and 1 other person like this.
  3. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

Thanks for the reply! In my opinion, they are so much more detailed and realistic than what we have available for our Knights. If I can find a box at my FLGS I might pick one up to try it. I'm hoping for some updated models for our Seraphon, but there are other armies/model ranges that probably need it more than we do.

Here's to hoping!

Jorgik, Ritual, Bowser and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think a lot of people agree with the dark elf cold ones being much better sculpts. There are a few on here where they used them. Here is how one guy made it work:
    Dark Elf cold ones?

Aphotic and Ritual like this.
  5. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I've only completed two of these conversions but yah they look waýyy better this way...

20170404_215505.jpg 20170404_215419.jpg

6. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

Wow! I failed at using the search bar apparently. Thank you for the link! I will give this a read through tonight. ;)

Ritual, Warden, Bowser and 1 other person like this.
  7. Eyeless1
    Saurus

Eyeless1 Member

Yeah the DE cold ones are thinner, so you do have to use some green stuff to fill in the saddle of the saurus riders, but its not hard and looks great.

Aphotic, Ritual, Aginor and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

Next question for anyone willing to share some advice (might be a lot of that in this thread as I'm learning). I'll be starting to glue up my Warriors tonight - curious on weapon choices, mix/match or stick to one type? I've seen a few threads in the build section recommending all clubs, wondering if a mix of spears with clubs would be better for second line attacking?

Ritual, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  9. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Are you building them to play with or for aesthetics more because that'll affect your choice

Edit: It sounds like you're looking to play with them :D

Aphotic, Ritual and Bowser like this.
  10. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

I am building them to play and compete with.

That's the short answer. I actually enjoy the building and painting aspects the most out of this hobby, but ultimately the end goal is to construct the best possible lists to do well with and have fun with.

Edit "Best" isn't really the term I wanted to use, not really a fan of using it. Hopefully it didn't come across the wrong way. Apologies.

Edit 2 I think I realize my error. I need to pick up the General's Handbook apparently, I think it would offer me more answers than my battletome does. After a quick search (should have done in the first place) it seems that mixing weapons is "illegal", unless clarifying with your opponent prior. Thanks all! I got 4 of my Warriors built tonight, hoping to have the full 12 by the weekend, primed and ready.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Ritual, Warden, Jorgik and 3 others like this.
  11. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

Grabbed the last 2 Dark Elf on Cold Ones boxes at my local GW and a Skink Priest sprue. Think I'm done buying for a while until I get all this done!

GW manager asked if I was starting 2 armies, put the Saurus Knight box and the Dark Elf one side by side and said "Which mount looks better?", he slowly nodded, I then said "It's pretty poor that the actual Lizard army has worse looking mounts than another army and I'm having to kitbash to get what I want." Another slow nod.

Should hopefully get pictures uploaded this week.

DeadlyRecluse, Ritual, Aginor and 6 others like this.
  12. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

So true

Aphotic, Ritual and Bowser like this.
  13. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I agree, but to be fair:
    I kinda liked our Cold Ones when I saw them and still kinda like them..... but the others are a LOT better.

Aphotic and Bowser like this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I've done both and I am currently putting 2 DE coldones into my Saurus Cav probably as leaders/scarvets

Aphotic, Bowser and Ritual like this.
  15. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Only thing I really dislike about our cold ones are the "hands" the rest looks ok imo...
    But DE cold ones are definitely worth the conversion...

16. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

The hands and the eyes, the rest´s ok, but when compared to the DE cold ones, they lose by a lot :joyful:

17. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

Hopefully I won't need to many knights, the kitbashing will get expensive, haha.

18. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

Got my Seraphon Warriors pinned and primed. Started painting last night.
    Also got my amateur green stuff/clipping/glueing DE Cold One + Knights kitbashed.. hopefully it stays.

Here's some pics! Tried to upload but it blew up the size so I just clicked the "link" icon. Hopefully it works.

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/OTqQgkA
    http://imgur.com/RAW4RoH
    http://imgur.com/kNnr8Zn

Ritual, Bowser, Warden and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Those knights are going to be awesome with the DE cold ones

Ritual likes this.
  20. Aphotic
    Saurus

Aphotic Active Member

I agree! I believe it was worth the extra money to do the kitbash. Might not be saying that once I get more Knights.

Got my Warriors based, washed, and highlighted this weekend. Just need to pick out the details, finish the shields, and bases... wow - still only half way there! :confused:

[​IMG]

Seraphage, Warden, Ribbit and 4 others like this.