1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. chameleon skinks ?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by OldBlood-Gar92, Jun 24, 2008.

1. OldBlood-Gar92
    Skink

OldBlood-Gar92 New Member

what are the advantages of chamaleon skinks ? arent regular skins much better ? why i see in some lists chameleon skinks ?

i think they suck really :/
    light me up, please :)
    thanks.

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Basically from what I gather, though I've never had a chance to use them yet, the have a few benefits.
    You can use them to just stand behind or around a unit, that they can easily out maneuver at the very beginning of battle and march block them. Also you can use them to widdle down your opponent from behind their lines or somewhere else that skinks couldn't go, like some woods that are 8 inches away instead of 10 which skinks wouldn't be able to do. Basically they are a tactical unit.

3. Fall3n_Ang3l
    Jungle Swarm

Fall3n_Ang3l New Member

i found they r also good at killing lone heros ( :

4. El_Collyero
    Skink

El_Collyero New Member

If your opponent consistently takes archers or gunners and strings them out in a woods, add a unit of chameleons to your army and you'll score easy points starting on turn 1. works well for lone mages in the woods too if your opponent is that dense. 6 chameleons should be enough.

5. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Yes, as Kraken said, this is not a unit that will generally make back its points through killing enemy units/characters (unless, as mentioned, your opponent is dense). The single digit increase in BS makes blowpipes much more effective, as they can move and double shoot at longe range targets and still benefit from poison. That said, you're not going to wipe out entire units with Chamo skink fire.

That said, their benefit comes through their ability to march block entire flanks of an enemy army through their enhanced scouting ability. The added -1 modifier translates into your opponent having to dedicate magic or a combat unit if they wish to root them out.

But for all of this, Chamo skinks suffer from the fact that they are a special unit. Competing with three units that play an integral role in many armies, it becomes difficult to justify using a special slot for one small tactical unit. Terradons can march block more effectively than Chamo skinks, and at the same time can charge warmachines and fire support units that Chamo skinks are forced to hide from. And if one really compares Chamo skinks to standard skinks, 10 Chamo skinks cost the same as two 10 strong units of standard skinks w/scout and a brave.

6. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with everything SohCahToa just said. :)

7. OldBlood-Gar92
    Skink

OldBlood-Gar92 New Member

Ok, i understand now. It's just a tactical unit. But being a special one with such cost, they're not very good.

thanks very much again guys!