1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiction Character Origins: Scetto

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Kcibrihp-Esurc, May 31, 2015.

1. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

Ardaris’ rampage passed from the memories of man, but some races have longer memories, In particular, the skaven of Clan Eshin who dwelt in those lands, and later learnt the ways of assassination from the Cathayans, the skaven of course recognized the effectiveness of her psychological warfare, and used it to their own ends.

Several thousand years later, a young skaven took the lessons much further to heart than most, and used it frequently, this had the drawback of being more noticeable, but as he gained notoriety, the true advantage revealed itself, fear is a powerful weapon, and so he rose to ever greater heights in Clan Eshin.

When news of the abundance of Warpstone in Mordheim reached Clan Eshin, they sent many warbands to claim this resource, and Scetto led one himself, and the few Skaven who survived became great assassins, and left The City of the Damned to serve their Warlords in their own manner.

Scetto gained prestige in Mordheim, and could have become a Warlord himself if he had so desired, but he preferred the assassin’s life, and stayed there, training young Skaven assassins in the harshest conditions he could find, even descending into the pit to find the Warpstone there, and fight the Possessed dwelling in that region.

It was midwinter with his seventh warband when he met Ardaris, she just walked into their camp, and when they attacked her (As they would being skaven) she simply blocked and parried until none of the skaven had the energy to fight, and collapsed from exhaustion.

Forced to concede, she gave them her ultimatum, help her kill Alxebren, or die here.

As skaven are wont to do, they chose the possibility of life over the certainty of death.

All but Scetto and Ardaris died fighting him anyway, despite the effectiveness of their ambush.

After the battle Scetto didn’t accept any more apprentices, killing hundreds more people, giving rise to the legend of ‘The Black Terror of Mordheim’ and sent large amounts of Warpstone and constant reports of his findings to the Nightmaster, which benefited the Clan’s operations in Mordheim hugely.

And suddenly, the shipments stopped.

The Nightmaster sent some of the best assassins (Including several trained by Scetto himself) to find what had happened to him, but they were unable to find him. Eventually they even took to interrogating any possible witnesses, however, all they ever found was a madman’s ramblings that he had left.

He had indeed left, but only after he realized an unbelievable truth.

He had been in Mordheim longer than any mortal ever had, and the proximity to such vast quantities of Warpstone had mutated him, making him ageless, faster, stronger and many abilities, some even he hasn’t discovered yet.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

The Esurciverse is teaming with practically god-like and unambitious beings. If they ever get motivated and team up...

Careful they don't get too OP, or else you won't have anywhere to go in their stories. It is hard to put across a sense of jeopardy or build empathy with a super being.

Having said that, I like that there is a mechanism (duration in contact with warpstone) behind the Black Terror's weirdness, and that you have more weirdness "he hasn’t discovered yet." I would find a story about the drawbacks of being an unkillable mutant assassin rat very interesting.

3. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Other than the fact that you outlive everyone you love, and the fact that your 'gift' will slowly destroy your mind?

4. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

And I never said unkillable!

5. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Including those facts. Just because it is obvious doesn't mean there isn't a good story in it! Scalenex would have him so tortured or burnt out by the above that for him to do anything useful would be a minor victory despite his gifts.

And even if he was unkillable, Scalenex would find a way.....

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The appropriate fate for unkillable beings is eternal imprisonment.

Anyway I am curious why such a rarified badass like Scetto is throwing his hat in the ring with Tomb Kings, rogue vampires, and Lizardmen plus more. A rootless Skaven demigod is likely to either becoming a roving killer or make an internal powerplay in the Underempire.

I recommend you build on this, giving Scetto some kind of driving goal and/or a well explained macguffin to keep him a part of your narrative.

7. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Don't discount eternal regret, apathy or crippling anxiety (which are all prisons in their own way). When I want to feel sorry for Slann, that is how I see them.

8. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

And an overwhelming of the senses and the mind, but I imagine such a skilled assassin like Scetto should be resist such things.
    Mutations are odd things, I'd be tempted to put a timer on it: he has a huge level of power and control now, but the mutations would continue to spread until he eventually becomes a mess of drooling sinew. It would be great if he was aware of that fact too, and it could be used to add a nihilistic motivation to his actions.

Going back to the story, I liked reading Scetto's perspective of Ardaris and, obviously, the background has certainly got mea lot more interested in the character.
    My only big critique would be to try and avoid long sentences - many paragraphs are just one sentence! Perhaps break up into three or four each.

Otherwise good stuff!