1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Choosing colors

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Audvin, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

Hi,

I could really use some help with what colors to buy and what to use for spray-primer.

I think I have a rough idea in my head about how I want my Seraphon army to look, but it's been 15 years since I last painted anything so all the how-to's and what not have faded from memory.

What I'm thinking is to make the skin something like Bleached Bone with a darker wash maybe, and then different shades of green and/or brown for the scales. So what spray should I use for basecoat then?

I'll try and add photo of the last dino I painted some 14-15 years ago. I'm not going with that color scheme but it's an opportunity to showcase what kind of level I was at and will hopefully surpass this time around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the potato-photos...

Crowsfoot, Warden, Aginor and 2 others like this.
  2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I always use straight up black spraypaint for my undercoats, but I hear that if you want to start with a lighter color (like bleached bone) then start with a white spray paint undercoat.

Audvin likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

If your after a bone colour, prime white or you could use Army painter Skeleton bone.

Aginor and Audvin like this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I would probably prime grey. On the lighter end of grey to be exact. Something close to Ulthuan or Celestra grey. I am lazy and prefer to do my shadow lining by not doing it at all and just leave a bit of undercoat untouched. That is why I pretty well avoid straight white primers.

Audvin likes this.
  5. GuaDan
    Kroxigor

GuaDan Well-Known Member

I like to use a white primer, but go for artists' acrylic gesso as I have buckets of that stuff I use for canvas or panels.

Grey gives you great control over values (dark vs light) and temperature (warm vs cool). And looks like a solid choice for what you intend to do.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Gesso also has some shrinking properties. Which means you maintain all your model details and have a pretty chip resistant undercoating.

7. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

I'll give grey primer a go on the first SC box and se how it goes from there. Thanks guys :)