1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Combat Gauge

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by pendrake, Jun 25, 2017.

1. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

There is a gadget called a Combat Gauge....a sort of measuring stick. For distances of 3,2,1, & 0.5 inches.

@GreenyRepublic has just designed his own.

What is it used for; how is it used? That is for anyone that has played a few games of AOS.

@GreenyRepublic mabye you could post about it in this thread? You had an interesting looking design going that resembled a LM warclub.

I spotted that I could order it from :woot: Walmart [!] (of all places) for $33 ....it is said to be £20 in the Queen's money.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Ritual and Captaniser like this.
  2. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

I was interested in it too, but here in Italy it costs €25.00 if I'm not wrong, and to me it is a little too much...
    The 40K one is €8.00, and despite it is made by simple plastic and not shiny metal that price is for sure more interesting!

3D printing it could be the right choice, also because this could mean personalize it as you prefer.

3. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

GreenyRepublic Well-Known Member

@pendrake speaks truth! I've rigged up this design in Illustrator based on Lizardmen clubs/Macuahuitls, and I intend to build a 3d model in preparation for 3d printing. I have thought about making it out of brass or some other appropriate metal instead, I'll have to weigh up the cost/benefits of both methods.

GaugePreview1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Draconder, Ritual, Crowsfoot and 3 others like this.
  4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I like the design so much :artist: ...I wanna suggest changes. :muted:

For instance, if the Round Dots marking each half inch got replaced by Triangles that would help it resemble a Lizardman weapon more. They'd look like spikes or teeth.

How is the standard one meant to be used? Am I supposed to hold it vertically and place one of the edges against the table?

5. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

GreenyRepublic Well-Known Member

The original design has spikes on the two longer edges, interspersed in 1/2" intervals. However I've removed them for the time being as I don't want this thing to cause any injury. :p

The standard one is used like a very short multi-sided ruler.

Ritual likes this.
  6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Good call keeping the edge smooth.

I was picturing the triangles entirely inside the edge, replacing the circular dots. Bigger than the dots. Enough that the dots would rattle inside a triangle. One corner not quite touching the edge.

What is usually being measured by the 2 inch increment?

I do remember checking for 3 inches having something to do with "piling in".

Ritual likes this.
  7. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

As far as I recall it it goes like this:
    1/2" = unit coherency
    1" = weapon range in melee
    2" = weapon range in melee (like spears helbards etc)
    3" = unit to unit distance, pile in distance, and in some few cases weapon range in melee...

Guess that are the main events one will use a combat gauge...

Ritual likes this.
  8. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

This seems pretty good and you sir will get my money if it becomes a beautiful reality :cool:

Ritual likes this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

You could get that laser cut if it was make of brass/steel etc

Ritual likes this.
  10. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Or clear, green, plexiglass.

Is that how this is intended to be used? Held above models and parallel to the tabletop?

Thing is I have this idea (not sure where it came from) that the GW version is meant to be stood vertically against the tabletop, and placed directly between models, if it will fit. Obviously, if it will not fit: those models are "within 3" (or whichever number is being checked).

Litko could lasercut the design, or some modified design. They do bespoke work, just like chessex does custom dice.

Ritual likes this.
  11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Thanks for the primer...and measurements run down.
    Fit and functionality question: how is it meant to be used? Held above table? Standing on edge against table? Some other way that I didn't think of? Lying flat on table?

Ritual likes this.
  12. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Well I guess you use it by simply trying to fit the required edge between the models closest parts or bases, depending on the measuring rules you us... if it's flat on the table or not depends on the situation, I guess... same for the angel you hold it...
    E.g. if you have a terradon unit... if you want to attack and unit on the ground, you would use the 3" edge in a direct line from model to model holding the gauge diagonally... if you attack another flying unit... it's horizontal...
    The angel on the other axis is dependent on the situation... hold it so it fits where you want to measure...

Ritual likes this.
  13. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

This pic should explain a bit how the combat gauge is intended to be used, @pendrake
    [​IMG]
    Here the guy is measuring the 3" distance from the two units by putting the relative edge near the surface of the table.
    If he had to measure, let's say, weapons range in the combat phase he simply would have to see which side of the gauge has the corresponding length and then put that edge near the surface of the table, between the closest points of the 2 models.

After all, a combat gauge is a simple yet very chic ruler :smuggrin:

14. pendrake
    Skink Priest

The point of all the questions I am tossing in is this:

GreenyRepublic's design Equally functional? or could the weapon hilt part of it hamper use?

Don't get me wrong, I like it well enough to want to "fix it". But I am sensing a possible flaw.

Aginor, Ritual and tom ndege like this.
  15. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Good point...

Aginor and Ritual like this.