1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coneverting DE CO's

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by GMS, Feb 27, 2009.

1. GMS
    Skink

GMS New Member

I live in New Zealand and getting warhammer here is pretty hard, and a saw some DE cold ones online and thought if i got them and converted them into lizard ones, what do you guys think?

Btw no gamesworkshop stores in the South Island of NZ :depressed:

And any other great ways of building up a lizard army would be great too

Samuel

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

It should be easy to convert those guys, that's nuts that there no gw there.

I also use mostly Reaper Mini's for my army. Reptus for my Saurus warriors, and Lizardmen Tyrants for the Kroxigot, and I use Gamezone Predators for cold ones but they are worth a lot here, they may actually be cheaper for you in New Zealand.

3. venom_x51
    Saurus

venom_x51 New Member

Hey all; myfirst post here.

I've just started converting 5 DE Cold ones with saurus riders. It's quite a time consuming job really, but so worthwhile imo.

The first job is to get the DE saddle shaved down with a craft knife so the saurus saddle will fit squarely and snug to the Cold One's body. There's quite a lot of plastic to remove here and it's much easier to do the bulk of htis while the body is still in 2 seperate halves.

The second problem is less easy to solve; the DW cold ones are about 5mm thinner than the LM ones. When you put the saurus warrior on the shaved cold one, there is a noticeable gap between the Cold One and the bottom of the saddle near the saurus' feet. It's really not noticeable when viewed from a gaming point of view, but if you take an individual model and look at it head on, you will see the gap.

Actually, I still have 2 left to do so might take some pictures as I'm doing these and post a How-To guide, cos they look really awesome...

4. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

I created some sort of saddle with green stuff and trimmed it with my model knif so it seems like leather. that would probably work in your case :)

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Use Maelstrom Games (google them for the site). They are based in England, but offer free first class shipping worldwide, which takes only a week or so to get to me in Australia. On top of that, they use UK prices which are faar better than Aus or NZ, and they give 15% off the UK prices which makes them even better. They also have customer rewards and further discounts for large orders, I have had brilliant success with them. You will be able to get exactly what you want at a great price really quickly.

6. GMS
    Skink

GMS New Member

Just got me some 2nd hand DE COs 8 (1 with no base) $NZ31. Ripped the stupid DEs off 1st, now i just have to make some riders out of some saurus warriors (old ed.)

7. Aren
    Saurus

Aren New Member

Wow, Maelstrom Games seems too good to be true!!! Maybe I will simply order my whole army from that site. :)

8. strewart
    OldBlood

Tis what I thought, but it was recommended from a friend who had no problems and I have had no problems and use it a LOT, I don't know how they get away with giving good discounts and free worldwide postage and still make a profit. I guess they would have to get a very good deal buying from GW, which means GW prices are very heavily marked up just for profit. Anyone who has done any economics (hell I only did a semester of it and I know) would know that increasing prices is not the only way to get more money, there are two factors and the other one is value. Lower prices (lower profit margin) means they will sell more products because more people will find it worth the price, this will improve their overall profits.

But... Until then, all power to the webstores that give discounts!

9. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

mabye GW ups their own prices so they can sell more overall because of the stores and sites selling more product at cheaper prices and we think we are getting a deal

10. Narotar
    Jungle Swarm

Narotar New Member

Hi guys,

its my first post in this forum and hopefully you will understand me ;) (i'm from germany)

@GMS: I know that there is a shop with GW products in Christchurch (near the Busexchange in the city) on the South Island. I don't know where exactly you come from but I would recommend to try this shop. they have a lot of GW stuff there.

might help you :D

greetings

Naro

11. skinkyone
    Chameleon Skink

skinkyone Active Member

alot of gw prices rise arnt justified in any method,

in the space of a year i watched the slann prices go from £15 - £18 - £20,
    thats no inflation or cost of martial as they say it sneaky,
    like how the sm tech marine use to be £12,
    suprising isnt it after they spent all the money reorganising the company that all the prices have large changes,

im currently doing my warmachine,
    battle box witch contain 3 models 2 of the the size on the old metal dreadnought one a 30mm charater and its cost me £30
    its £25 for most dread size model in gw,

still by the damn stuff with all my complaining though

12. GMS
    Skink

GMS New Member

Um Narotar yes there are shops that sell Warhammer but there are no Gamesworkshop shops'. And yes that shop is a very good store (got my new Lizardman codex there)

And I've just got 40 more skinks and saurus warriors very chep ($NZ26) via Trade Me. Some of those saurus warriors will be mounted on my CO's

13. GMS
    Skink

GMS New Member

Have put 3 saurus (5 ed.?) on the cold ones i got. 1st saurus i cut the right leg off then cut down the cloth bit in the middle, 2nd i cut both legs off and the cloth bit down, 3rd the left legs and cloth bit. Here they are with a stegadon my friend brought me that i've put a platform and skinks on.

DSC00708a.jpg

Left to right: Stegadon, 2nd, 1st, 3rd

So wat you think so far?

And also the stegadon is just started, will use it as "baby" stegadon, will put a giant bow on front will new platform.

Samuel

14. jochemvh
    Saurus

jochemvh New Member

I use mealstrom too, really fast delivery here in the netherlands.
    great discounts and earn money back offers and such.
    as far as i know they are close by GW HQ, they order directly from GW so they don't have a warehouse (no storage cost) when they get their orders.
    And they probably have little overhead cost, combined with probably a smaller profit margin they can be a lot cheaper.
    That results in more orders from us players who can still affort the hobby this way LOL

15. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I think you should Green Stuff some new legs. They look kinda silly right now, like they're just floating above the Cold Ones.

16. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

A great idea though! If you just could manage to make the riders look like they actually sitting, it might work :) Green stuff should do the trick

17. GMS
    Skink

GMS New Member

I know what green stuff does/is, but i have never seen any anywhere in my home town or closest main city.

Don't think the photo does mush for the riders they look pretty good i real life imo.

Will look to do some more, even put a orc spear on one, don't have any other spears that look like CO spears :depressed:

18. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

When you making convertions, GS is a must as I see it. You could always order some over the internet. I buy almost all my GW products over web..

19. strewart
    OldBlood

Try looking in arts/hobby stores for modelling putty, even a hardware store probably has something similar. I think they have grey stuff or brown stuff in hardware stores, say you are looking for a two part modelling putty for fine detail work and they should be able to help you. Otherwise, there are a lot of webstores that will sell the GS for a lot cheaper than GW. And it is indeed basically an essential item for every gamer, if not for modelling then at least for filling cracks.