1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting Lizards

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Krox-Power, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Krox-Power
    Saurus

Krox-Power New Member

I've been looking for a way to add a unique look to my lizardmen for a while now, and I think I've finally found it.
    I'm going to do an oriental lizardmen army. "Not original" you say? Well, you may be right, but unlike all the other armies on the same principle that I've seen, I'm not just going to give everyone a katana.
    My saurus are going to be given dual butterfly swords, my skinks will get shiruken, temple guard will get naginatas most likely.

For those who might not know what these weapons look like, I'll post (links to) pics.
    Butterfly swords:
    http://www.amas.net/CU/CU_butterfly_swords.jpg
    Shiruken:
    http://api.ning.com/files/vBUPyWx8zyS2aRHIHGfWHg-3uU1fH0SPw*fJHgWwAA0_/NarutoKunaiShuriken.jpg
    And a naginata:
    http://www.swordsofmight.com/ProductImages/spearspolearms/paulchen/Paul_Chen_Naginata_M.jpg

I've only done a little work so far, with only about 6 butterfly swords made out of 30 needed for the unit, but now that I've learned a bit more about what I'm doing (along with lessons such as don't stab yourself in the hand -.-) I'm hoping that my progress will be faster. I'll try to have pics of the saurus up this evening.

Thanks for your interest,
    K-P

2. Jaspar
    Saurus

Jaspar New Member

sounds very intresting

3. Krox-Power
    Saurus

Krox-Power New Member

Wow, I didn't think I'd get a response anywhere near that quickly! Thanks for your interest, Jaspar!

Right now, I am only making blades for the left hands of my saurus, so tat I can go ahead and put one arm on all of them.
    I only have 2 more blades to make, and then comes attaching them with greenstuff.
    I'll post a pic of all of the weapons before I glue them on.

4. Saurus commander
    Skink

Saurus commander New Member

Gonna look good? :p

Only two things:

1. How you making them?
    2. I don't think you would be able to use them in tornements, but if their for display only, then ok :p

5. Jaspar
    Saurus

Jaspar New Member

well they would be playable if he only give his saurus warriors 1 sword each and some sort of shield

6. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

You could give the Saurus one of those Naginata do-dads and count it as a spear.

7. Krox-Power
    Saurus

Krox-Power New Member

The blades are made of plasticard, and the hilt/hand guards are greenstuff.
    I have yet to ever play in a tournament, just me and a circle of friends, and I'm not seeing tournaments in my near future, so I'm not overly worried about it. If I do play a tournament though, I also have a regiment of normal saurus. However, I hadn't thought of that, so thank you.

Well, I was logging back on to post pics of my progress so far, but photobucket is apparently having issues with my account (I can get to everything EXCEPT my pics) so I'll have to do it later.

8. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

It does sound like a very interesting idea. I am looking forward to seeing them as well.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah it sounds pretty cool, what colour scheme are you going to use? Going for a bit of a ninja theme, or is that too cliche?

i'll be keen to see how they turn out, saurus are a lot bulkier than oriental people. :p

10. Krox-Power
    Saurus

Krox-Power New Member

I'm not sure exactly what colors I'm going to use yet, but my plan is to have red 'flesh' on the saurus, and either dark blue-or black scales.

Also, I have finally conquered photobucket, and have reclaimed my pictures!

Butterfly swords, left arms only.
    DSC00888.jpg
    Some of them I'm happier with than others, but on the whole, I think they cam out okay. I may use a knife & file to de-bulk some of them.

I have one that has both arms glued on. Not a great picture, but the best I could take this morning
    DSC00890.jpg

Hopefully I'll have another set of pictures in a day or two....
    K-P

11. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

hmmmm....

your hilts are kinda bulky, but I like the idea :pompus:

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Nice start, they look pretty cool. Keep pushing your GS skills, if you are using so much of it you will improve over time, you might even find by the end of your army you want to come back and redo some of the earlier ones because you improve that much.

Good luck with it!

13. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I would almost be more inclined to use very thin strips of plasticard for the hilts instead.
    They do look pretty nice though!

14. Krox-Power
    Saurus

Krox-Power New Member

Well, i turned out to be far busier the last few days than I thought I would be, but by thursday I should have something worth showing done.
    Again, I can't promise, but I can try....

K-P

15. Krox-Power
    Saurus

Krox-Power New Member

Well, clearly I didn't even come close to my self-given deadline. I got really busy, and by the time I had time to work on them again, my saurus had been moved and I need to fond them again....
    So, while I wait to find them, I'm taking old sprues and (once I have the framework) GS, and I'm scratch-building my Krox. $20 a model is a bit too pricey, whereas I have a billion sprues laying about.
    I'm almost to the point where I'll start using GS on the frame of my first one.
    If anyone's interested, I can post pics of the (VERY) basic framework I have done.

16. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

Pics are always welcome!

Looking forward to seeing more of this...