1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Crack at the new Nagash book

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Full_time_nerd, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Full_time_nerd
    Skink

Full_time_nerd Member

With the girlfriend disappearing to the snow for the weekend I managed to squeeze in 4 games against the Nagash and friends book. Thought I would jot down a quick summary of what happened and thoughts. He is an experienced Death player, playing them for years and has had great success with them in spite of their failings recently. So was excited to play him and test out how they were!

I ran my same list as I want to get a few games in with it

Kroak
    Astro
    Starpriest
    3x10skinks
    2x2 razors
    Laser Basti
    1x6 ripps
    1x3 rips
    Shadowstrike
    Balewind

So quick summary of the games and how they went:

Game 1-Duality. He tested a horde list with low wound characters in which I was fortunate with. He got up early but was patient enough to play the long game with it as with Kroak on BW he can snipe those guys well. Won by a couple of points late

Game 2- Batlle for the pass. He pulled out Nagash for this one. With 2 units of harbingers. Damn they are fast. The length of the table is always challenging with the low model count. He ran away with it with the speed they can move with. Nagash with plus 5 move is nuts from his spell. Potential to go off twice. I had the opportunity to maybe sneak it if the rippers who dropped in killed 2 more skellies, and I would have claimed his back objective. Not winning a priority didn’t help,but he always was doing enough.

Game 3-Knife to the heart. Against a sacrament list. A who’s who of the magic phase. It was close but ending taking the minor despite going for broke at the end and charging a Basti into the unit of skellies to try and take them off and them taking him off :(

Game 4-total conquest. Against a legion of night. Vamp lord on ZD and two outflanking(coming in from table edges) terrorgheist. Was close for a while and after managing to keep the skinks alive, I dropped the 6 rippers in late game to help save them against a terrorgehist. Once I managed to kill the big three, was just whether I could kill the 40skellies on an objective to get the major. I did but just.

Thoughts.

-damn they are resilient. 40:skellies near a grave with a hero just do not go anywhere. At all. Even the necros. Bouncing wounds to the skellies on a 4 and then the, coming back is soul destroying. If you can’t focus everything into them, leave the, till you can.

-they have access to a lot of speed. Outflanking harbingers with 3 d6 charge is nuts. Nagash with a spell for plus 5 movement is crazy and if cast on a 9 can be plus 10. Terrorgheist and zombie dragons. They can be into you very quickly

-they can hurt Kroak on a balewind more effectively now. With more acces to mortal wound spells you have to be more concerned about his position then against previous death outings.

-rippers are still the nuts.

Definitely some learnings. If anyone else has any other things to share I would love to hear!

2. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Good to hear some games against the new stuff! Thanks!

Seraphage likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I've watched a few vids on the new Death and they look fun to play, hopefully try mine out this weekend.

With the skellies if you can take out the hero first but your opponent should have him safe to stop that.

4. Full_time_nerd
    Skink

Full_time_nerd Member

The ability of the small wound characters to bounce the wounds on to skeletons on a 4 up is solid. 50 percent of the wounds you do don’t hit the target and then the skellies come back to life. It’s like a kick in the frogs nuts.

The spell lore is so extensive and varied that it allows them to play in multiple ways. They can be very good.

5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Very interesting!
    Can't wait to try out the new Death rules myself.

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Very true, I had a read again last night and I can't wait to try out the Legion of Sacrament

7. Full_time_nerd
    Skink

Full_time_nerd Member

I think the lizards could struggle once the book beds in. The never ending horde and resiliency. Plus certain lists and build can keep up even with a Kroak list

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Let's hope we get an updated book soon (yes I'm an optimist)

Aginor and IggyStarhost like this.