1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Creating a list as a new player, vs other new players.

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by WadeTheMediocre, Jul 31, 2015.

1. WadeTheMediocre
    Skink

WadeTheMediocre New Member

At my local shop theres a group of four of us who have gotten into warhammer with the new age of sigmar. We played 40k with some others before this. The others have just got the Aos starter kit, 2 splitting two, keeping just the chaos and order halves respectively, the other one has his own and he uses either side. I wanted to spice things up and chose to start a seraphon army, as I always liked lizardmen aesthetically but had nobody else to compete with until now. Ive ordered a lizardmen battalion including: 20 Saurus Warriors, 12 Skinks, 10 Temple Guard and eight Saurus Cavalry, an extra unit of saurus of I believe 16, a saurus oldblood, and a troglodon. What I want to know is, does this compare with the starter set? With the double starter alliance? What more should I look in to next? Any generic advice?

2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Put the models you like on the table. There are not any point values, official restrictions, other than what you and your friends mutually agree to. There is no reason you couldn't combine your lizards and liberators. (Sorry, upon re-read I realize you don't have the liberators.)

Put a force on the table that looks about equal to the OpFor and get stuck in. That is where this game is at, the way it was 35 years ago, when tabletop war game players adjusted the sides until it seemed about right.

3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Get a Bastilodon.

Early reports hint it is highly effective, very useful and you don't list having one.

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The solar beam is mental at tacking out infantry also you may want to add a Slann for summons and maybe Chakax to run with your TG reports are saying that combo is almost unstoppable.

5. WadeTheMediocre
    Skink

I'm not trying to grind them into paste, (yet), but I'll put the bastilodon, a slaan, and chakax on my to buy list. Ive read that the carnosaur used to be better than the troglodon, does this still hold true? Just skimming the warscrolls the troglodon seems better and overall just looks cooler. Also, is it better to go with the named slaan vs the generic one? Also thanks all around for the replies.

6. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I think now would be the best time to play the Troglodon.

But it comes down to what you like the most. If you like the model, it is more likely that you will enjoy fielding it. With that said, I don't think neither the Troglodon nor the Carnosaur is bad (technically none of them is bad/good as long as neither has a points cost).

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

In your shoes I would explore the possibility of building the Trog/Carno kit with a magnetized swappable head and rider and whatever else.

...Like you do with SMarine Dreadnoughts.

I don't have the Trog/Carni kit and haven't seen one up close and unassembled so I don't know if it is even feasible. BUT, Wisest move is leave both options possible, you never know what GW will decide later. (You never know what you gonna need 'till you need it.)

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The head fits tight were the collar is so in theory a head swap would be feasible.

But as @ASSASSIN_NR_1 says play what you like and make it work for you.

I'm a complete novice but I always play my Saurus Cav, because I love cavalry

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  9. WadeTheMediocre
    Skink

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out and report back, unless I forget or am killed by a meteor shower.

10. Gazbal
    Skink

Gazbal New Member

Hi Wade,

I've had good results with the Salamanders and Bastilidon but I have to admit that I don't like the Salamander model.

Temple guard near a character are our strongest infantry and Slaan are the best casters. Lord Kroak in particular is fantastic.
    I like to use the Scar Vet with Battle Standard as they grant re-rolls and i'm not a very lucky roller.

Many people on the forum have had great success with heaps of things so have a look and see what you like.

If you don't like the model for a unit, then I would give it a miss or use something else to represent it if your friend is agreeable.
    You will spend alot of time looking at, moving around assembling and painting the models so pick the ones you like the look of.