1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D&D Lizardfolk

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scalenex, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Thre guy is a bit verbose and he talks kind of slow so you might want to turn up the play speed on this.

In any event this is pretty much what D&D Lizardfolk are like. The pictures don't seem to match the fluff. Considering how dirt primitive they D&D Lizardfolk are, their clothes, jewelry and weapons are more advanced than usual. Especially when this guy pulled pictures of Warhammer Lizardmen without knowing it.

I don't see this as a good fit for my own D&Dish setting. I don't know if @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl would get inspiration for Escalonia from this.

I do like the idea of a race with simplistic motivations but I don't think they should be stone age. I don't think a culture like that would survive long in a world with humans and elves if the Lizardfolk had any resources worth taking.

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

That's a cool video, thanks for posting!
    And I do like this interpretation of Lizardmen, some great ideas in there.

It is however not a good thing if you want to use Lizardmen for player characters or as the protagonists of stories. Which is a shame.

3. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Agreed, especially when reviewing our own history.

What gets me is the selection against intelligence. Sure, brainpower is energy intensive - roughly 40% of a person's energy consumption on average - but once you're already in the business of making tools to aid in survival there's nothing really stopping you from building on that foundation and making the most out of having a relatively large brain. In fact, the only thing that will really stop you from advancing further at that point, let alone cause you to regress, is isolation, be it because you live in a swamp with little to no access to the outside world, or because you don't want anything to do with the outside world. Both have a track record of having potentially disastrous consequences, with nothing to say of tech disparity due to stagnation.

It also begs the question as to why the 10% of lizardfolk tribes with access to spears, shields and huts haven't been able to conquer their less advanced neighbours, especially if the guiding motive for doing so is about the tribe's survival. In retrospect, it would make for an interesting teambuilding exercise on the scale of the Mongol Empire if done well.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019