1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deadliest Warrior

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Caneghem, May 14, 2010.

1. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Anyone ever watch this show? They basically pit two historical fighters against one another.

This week they did Aztec Jaguar Warriors against African Zambe guys. The Aztec weapons reminded me a bit of the Lizardmen... that obsidian sure has some cutting power!

2. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

I know I used to watch a show with a similar name where they pitted different animals against each other. (Not real ones of course)
    Cool show, but it grew old pretty quickly.

Cheers!

3. Flint13
    Saurus

Flint13 New Member

Heck yeah! I loved that show. Are they on season 2 now? I got the first season on dvd, and have yet to see aztec guy vs african tribal warrior. I think my fav so far has been american green beret vs russian spetznaz, but i guess thats just b/c i'm a huge fan of russian culture and firearms. Spartan vs ninja was pretty good too, although the one azn teenage they brought in as an "expert" was kinda a whiney dbag. I'm glad spartans won on that one. Kinda sad the ninjas couldn't eek out a better kill ratio, considering they have hundreds of years of technological advancement on spartans.

4. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Yep, season 2 is in full effect. I actually agreed with the Spartan vs. Ninja outcome. They don't account for stealth on that show, so obviously the main advantage of the ninja is lost.

The one thing that annoyed me is the way they grouped the knight in with the gunpowder age. Of course anything with a gun can blast through plate armor, that was the whole point of gunpowder! In general I'm more of a fan of the pre-gunpowder fights though.

5. Flint13
    Saurus

Flint13 New Member

in the knight/pirate fight, i was really surprised that the solid shot pistol couldn't penetrate the breastplate, while the blunderbuss could. You wouldn't think a gunpowerder shotgun whould have more penetrating power than a lead slug. Oh well, I think the outcome of that matchup was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Yeah, those old flintlock pistols didn't have that handy rifling we have now to help increase penetration. It was basically a really tiny cannon shooting a roundish ball, wheras the blunderbuss was a slightly larger handheld cannon, able to produce more force.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Never heard of the show and don't get it in Aus. Tried to have a brief look online for a stream, but all the youtube ones had been pulled for copyright. Sounds pretty cool, might have to think about finding it somewhere else.

8. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

You can torrent the show pretty easy....so I've heard o_O

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Rifiling is more for accuracy than anyting ealse, smothbores fire such a large shot that
    it is almost allways lethal when they hit, but it didn't have enough power to get through full plate armor, and frankly i think the blunderbuss got off a lucky shot, even at such close range, considering how random it is, and how many misfires it had.

10. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Accuracy goes way up (and was the motivation for creating rifling), true, but one side benefit is projectiles don't bleed off as much kinetic energy spiralling through the air. The shape of the projectile also makes a big difference.. the round ball shot will tend to "roll" off surfaces where as bullet shaped spiraling projectiles will tend to "drill" into surfaces. I think the blunderbuss was able to get through because the sheer amount of force of all those projectiles was able to buckle the armor inward. Once the armor is not presenting a convex target, it becomes much easier to breach.

Might be able to get the show on DVD, they are just starting season 2 now.

11. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Had a date on the day the aztec and african was shown... was the previous one with a roman and persian ( I think). Awesome show :jimlad: