1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Over Physical Battletomes/Rulebooks

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by That1Lizard, May 18, 2017.

?

Digital or Physical?

1. Digital Books

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Physical Books

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. That1Lizard
    Skink

That1Lizard Member

I asked myself this question before: Digital or Physical? And this has been discussed on numerous other forums many times, and as a result most people said they preferred the physical books over the digital due to the classic "feel" of a book and the admiration of having an item collected and on their shelf.

Makes sense since we are, after all, in a hobby of collecting physical things and admiring them on our shelves.

I saw their point and when I got back into 40K I went and got physical books. They looked nice enough but when it came time to reading them, there was a sort of reality that I came to realize.

You see, I already stopped reading regular physical books and had gotten used to reading them on my phone since my job and life has times where it keeps me on the go and having an entire library in my pocket is pretty neat. As such, there is a lot to read in the GW books and I couldn't exactly take my nice, shiney books on the go. And the few times I did try I got worried about them getting banged up. Well, what about before bed? Since being married and sharing the bed with my wife of course, she tends to fall asleep before me and keeping the light on to read a book is rathe obnoxious for her trying to sleep. So my phone has always been a better solution since the room can be dark.

Now when it came time for AoS, I have chosen to start my Seraphon collection with a digital battletome. Though it's not as nice looking to have a book on my shelf, it has, for me at least, become way more convenient and accessible to read.

Anyone here have a similar experience? Anybody else who sees digital being better for them? Or do any of you still prefer the physical? If so, how do you fit time to read them?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

For the most part I prefer physical books, but tor Warhammer, digital all the way. Keeping them all in app makes playing and discussing so much easier.

That1Lizard likes this.
  3. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

I prefer having the physical copy, but in the cases the digital one grants me
    - the possibility to buy the product once and being able to read it on numerous devices (smartphone, tablet, pc)
    and/or
    - the guarantee that product will be updated in future (maybe for free)
    than my answer begins to switch towards "digital is my choice"

Bowser and That1Lizard like this.
  4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Physical copy still works when you upgrade your phone. :p

Bowser, That1Lizard and Aginor like this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I am really torn on this one.
    Digital is easier to search through. Physical is not dependent on power and if you quickly want to switch between two pages that are not adjacent that's easier.
    Also what others said.

I only have physical books right now and all that is available for free in the app, and I use both the app and warscroll builder excessively. Also tried Battlescribe but meh. A bit too unwieldy.

Bowser, That1Lizard and n810 like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Edit sorry doublepost phone error.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I prefer physical books over digital. Digital is okay when I need to quickly take a look at a rule, but if I really want to get into the book, I need a physical copy.

Bowser and That1Lizard like this.