1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dispossessed interest

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Xasto, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Anyone here plays some Dispossessed in AoS? I'm quite interested in their aesthetic and wonder how they play on the table!

2. Deed525
    Stegadon

Deed525 Well-Known Member

Not a big fan nor have I ever seen them play (I know this isn’t much help but thought I’d put my 2cents in) ;D

3. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Had to look up who the "dispossessed" were again.

Dwarfs! I hope you like beards!

I like dwarfs, but only ever bought one :(. I wanted to buy the pirate dwarf unit (LONG DRONG SLAYER PIRATES) but never got around to it before they weren't for sale anymore :(:(

@Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl has some fyreslayers, and I want to say @NIGHTBRINGER had some dwarfs at some point? Not sure...

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Back in the day I had a few Dwarfs from the Battle for Skull pass, but I never played or painted them and have sold them since. I did however paint some Chaos Dwarf Hellcannon crew. Not sure if that counts though.

5. Chico
    Skink

Chico New Member

I've play against a Dispossessed player a few times now (1000 points).
    They fared quite well in combat against me. They are sturdy as hell, with all the save rerolls and 6+ ward saves they seem to pull out of their asses whenever they want to..
    But I won every battle against them so far (4 times), because of objectives. They are very slow movers, and I can easily outmanouver them with teleports and Skinks.

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Of all the forumites here, I'm probably your man (or Dwarf) when you want to talk about Dispossessed. As @Warden says I do have some Fyreslayers (only 10 Vulkites at this point but I'm intending to expand upon this to create a 1000 point army at least by next year), but the vast majority of Dwarfs I have are fantasy Dwarfs, or in AoS, Dispossessed. Regular Dwarfs were my first army and I still attend to my army regularly (bought an Ironbreakers box today in fact). I did have a look at their rules and allegiance abilities in AoS and while they aren't the best army at this point in time, they are still competent thanks to the General's Handbook allegiance abilities. Their Runelords, for example, are exceptionally useful as they can unbind a spell each turn as if they were wizards. The allegiance abilities do a great job of capturing Dwarfs' exceptional bravery too in that if they fail a Battleshock test they can roll a dice and treat it as being passed on I think a 4+. They are also the most well-armoured of the Dwarf factions, definitely more so than Kharadron and they generally have better armour saves than Fyreslayers. Furthermore, they can ally with Fyreslayers and Kharadron (in a Dwarf ally triangle) so that they can make use of Kharadron airships and Fyreslayer Magmadroths if necessary. This also works in reverse in that Fyreslayers and Kharadron can use Dispossessed units as allies to fill in their own weaknesses (certainly I have included my Runelord as an allied unit in my Fyreslayer list to give me that anti-magic boost).

However, they do have their disadvantages. As @Chico says they are by far the slowest of the three Dwarf factions - Kharadron can zoom along in their airships and Fyreslayers, while having slow basic troops, have fast Magmadroths and can deep strike some of their troops using Runesmiters. Dispossessed can do the latter if they use the Ancestral Pickaxe artefact, but it only applies to one unit of your choice now that Miners aren't part of the army. They also lost all their artillery that made them so devastating in 8th Edition, with the Bolt Thrower and Grudge Thrower being scrapped entirely and the rest going over to Ironweld Arsenal. They can still use these machines through allies but can't take them as if they were part of their army (which is stupid if I say so myself as they've been part of the Dwarf list for so long). Furthermore, because they don't have any really big stuff, Dispossessed are now the Dwarf faction that is most reminiscent of a horde army, which is the opposite of what they were in Fantasy.

Nevertheless, you can still run a good army if you try to focus on killing the enemy rather than specifically capturing objectives (which you are not going to be able to do unless you bring Kharadron or Fyreslayer allies). To do this I certainly recommend at least one or two Runelords and a Warden King as your general (as he can trump most other enemy infantry characters), and otherwise choose whatever units you want, as the one good thing with Dispossessed is that practically all of their units are competent at the moment.

Warden and Xasto like this.
  7. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

I particularly like the fact that as of 2.0, Ironbreakers are now battleline if, which while still being somewhat Horde-y, can make for a more elite army with Irondrakes and the likes.
    If they were one day to merge some stuff, like say get back together Ironweld Arsenal and the Dispossessed, with a book à la Beasts of Chaos, I would probably be more than happy to pull the trigger on these armored Dorfs.

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

It does indeed give you that option, which is nice.

I agree - if this happened, while I would still play Fyreslayers because they look great and I've formulated so many tactics for them in my mind, I would consider using my regular Dwarfs in AoS as well as a separate army or with some Fyreslayer allies.

Xasto likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

A sad end for such a noble race. ;) I shall add this to the Book of Grudges.

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Only if GW ever released a battletome for them, and that's unlikely at best. Even then I would only consider it.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  11. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

A glorious rebirth, this would be ;)

Warden likes this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

They would have been better of with a noble end as with the Tomb Kings.

13. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

To each their own, ofc

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  14. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your input on the Dispossessed, like I previously said I'd love to build a side warband in a future where they release a somewhat cohesive battletome, but for now I think I'll try to get my hands on a Warden King and a Runelord for a little painting project! Both of these models make incredibly nice D&D characters, so that's a plus! :D

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Can't argue with that! :)

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

There was a time when i played a 100% Dispossessed army, and they were strong. Mostly because i developed a "fast" army, with copters, miners, Bugman and other similar units, with a solid shooting support.
    ATM, Dispossessed are a low tier army. AoS is a fast moving game, and GW removed many of the few sources of deep strike available to dawi.
    You desperately need some move (copters are still valid, but only works as allies) and your best bet is the pickaxe, which is good but it's still a one-shot item, and you are going to use it to deliver a hard blow to some prority target (probably with a runepriest and a large block of irondrakes).